The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hi everyone.
any ideas of the chances of getting into the cambridge mphil economics with a 2.1.( 66.83%average) also looking at UCL, if anyone knows what its like to get into the Msc Economics with a 2.1. i currently hold an offer for edinburgh sgpe this comming sep but am strongly thinking of taking a year out to pursue one of the courses mentioned. any advice would be great. thanks in advance.
Reply 61
niallo2
hi everyone.
any ideas of the chances of getting into the cambridge mphil economics with a 2.1.( 66.83%average) also looking at UCL, if anyone knows what its like to get into the Msc Economics with a 2.1. i currently hold an offer for edinburgh sgpe this comming sep but am strongly thinking of taking a year out to pursue one of the courses mentioned. any advice would be great. thanks in advance.

I can't see Cambridge being interested: they will defintaley want a First.

Not much chance at UCL (66% is nothing special). Suggest you contact any unis you would prefer to Edinburgh now and see if they are interested. If not suggest you stick with Edinburgh/
Reply 62
Paulwhy
I can't see Cambridge being interested: they will defintaley want a First.

Not much chance at UCL (66% is nothing special). Suggest you contact any unis you would prefer to Edinburgh now and see if they are interested. If not suggest you stick with Edinburgh/

I thought UCL require a 2:1?
Reply 63
hamzab
I thought UCL require a 2:1?

That is a minimum and I think Firsts a more common. So I don't think it worth 'wasting' a year for,
I'm going to UCL and I applied with a first from second year (at York) and I got an offer of a first. Cambridge are completely inundated with applications and I was put on the waitlist for about 2 months before being rejected.
Reply 65
Hey everyone at TSR, im new to posting but have been an avid reader for a while...

My question is what experiences anyone has with the Postgrad Dip in Economics, ive shortlisted 5 options... Cam, Warwick, Notts, Bristol, Bath.
I'm currently on for a first (2nd year (70.27% with mitigating circumstances)), with a 2.i (63.09%) in my first year on an Accounting and Finance BA at Bournemouth. What do you think my chances are of getting a place at these institutions?
Reply 66
chap54
Hey everyone at TSR, im new to posting but have been an avid reader for a while...

My question is what experiences anyone has with the Postgrad Dip in Economics, ive shortlisted 5 options... Cam, Warwick, Notts, Bristol, Bath.
I'm currently on for a first (2nd year (70.27% with mitigating circumstances)), with a 2.i (63.09%) in my first year on an Accounting and Finance BA at Bournemouth. What do you think my chances are of getting a place at these institutions?

Remember you don't use UCAS for postgraduate qualifications hence you are not restricted to 5.

You should check out the websites of the unis you are interested in. e.g:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/courses/depts/economics/tdegrees/diploma/

And then email them with any questions. e.g. what they look for in a student.
That way you know what they are looking for when you apply!
But I would have thought that A+F would be ok, e.g. when I did the diploma at warwick there was an A+F graduate.
chap54

It might be ok for Diploma but actually oxbridge don't consider such degrees.
I have changed the university - transferred directly to the second year to better one. In both unis I got first in my first and secon year. Shall I include in my application process that I have transferred the uni, if yes how can I make that to sound as a good thing. Im considering top3 but not neccesserally for Msc Economics.
If they see that I have changed university it might look as inconsistent studying. So how to make this to give me extra points?
Reply 69
Dionis_antic
I have changed the university - transferred directly to the second year to better one. In both unis I got first in my first and secon year. Shall I include in my application process that I have transferred the uni, if yes how can I make that to sound as a good thing. Im considering top3 but not neccesserally for Msc Economics.
If they see that I have changed university it might look as inconsistent studying. So how to make this to give me extra points?

I think you are thinking about tactics too much. :smile:
Instead:
i) just declare in your application what modules you studied at which unis and what marks you got.
i.e. if your 2nd uni is a really high rep one that will give your application added quality
(what unis have you studied at by the way?)
ii) just say you changed uni because you wanted to go to a better uni to really strecth yourself. end of story.

what course are you considering instead of msc economics?
Paulwhy
I think you are thinking about tactics too much. :smile:
Instead:
i) just declare in your application what modules you studied at which unis and what marks you got.
i.e. if your 2nd uni is a really high rep one that will give your application added quality
(what unis have you studied at by the way?)
ii) just say you changed uni because you wanted to go to a better uni to really strecth yourself. end of story.

what course are you considering instead of msc economics?

I used to go to Cardiff, at the moment I am at Durham frankly speaking I don't think it is high rep..above average though it is much better than Cardiff. So what I am thinking is that I can take advantage of that and bonus points, just need to do it in proper way. Or maybe I think too much. lol
I just can't afford to mess up with my applications.

From your posts I can see that you have a great knowledge of all this application procesess..

About the course - International/Development/Economics...in these area..
So your second ii) options from your point if view is the best?
Reply 71
Care to Elaborate Dionis, for what reason would oxbridge not consider such degrees?
Reply 72
Dionis_antic
I used to go to Cardiff, at the moment I am at Durham frankly speaking I don't think it is high rep..above average though it is much better than Cardiff. So what I am thinking is that I can take advantage of that and bonus points, just need to do it in proper way. Or maybe I think too much. lol
I just can't afford to mess up with my applications.

From your posts I can see that you have a great knowledge of all this application procesess..

About the course - International/Development/Economics...in these area..
So your second ii) options from your point if view is the best?

First prediction from Durham is good. So you should get into somehere good. e.g. Warwick.
And Warwick is good for development as well.
Reply 73
Hey Paulwhy, a quick question regarding an MSc economics at Warwick. In general is it relatively easy for those with an MSc Econ from Warwick to find jobs as soon as they complete the masters course?

As with many people if I went for a masters I would have to take out a loan that would need instant repayment on completion of the course, so if I graduated and couldn't find a job I'd be pretty screwed. Is there much chance of that happening or is it fairly easy to obtain a job as an economist for example in the GES?

Thanks for your help
Reply 74
cardiff53
Hey Paulwhy, a quick question regarding an MSc economics at Warwick. In general is it relatively easy for those with an MSc Econ from Warwick to find jobs as soon as they complete the masters course?

As with many people if I went for a masters I would have to take out a loan that would need instant repayment on completion of the course, so if I graduated and couldn't find a job I'd be pretty screwed. Is there much chance of that happening or is it fairly easy to obtain a job as an economist for example in the GES?

Thanks for your help

When I did the msc, graduates who wanted jobs rather than further study got them.
niallo2
hi everyone.

I had a 2.1 offer from UCL despite getting a first in first year and in second year and being predicted a first(from NUIG). A guy in my MPhil class at Cambridge went to a top ten UK institution and had an offer conditional on a first for UCL. I don't know why that is, I applied right on the deadline so it's not like he applied later than me. It might be because I had a joint honours with mathematics(that's the only conclusion I can come up with) but I really don't know.
Reply 76
this is a really useful thread - thanks for the spreadsheet op

a quick question - ive looked around on the top uni's websites, and can find no specific information on whether they interview or not.

i know oxford and cambridge interview for the BA, but do they also interview for MPhil (taught) applications?

also looking into UCL, LSE and Warwick, (MSc Economics) and similarly, no idea about these.

anyone know for sure/has gone through interviews for these places aleady?
Reply 77
bobindra
this is a really useful thread - thanks for the spreadsheet op

a quick question - ive looked around on the top uni's websites, and can find no specific information on whether they interview or not.

i know oxford and cambridge interview for the BA, but do they also interview for MPhil (taught) applications?

also looking into UCL, LSE and Warwick, (MSc Economics) and similarly, no idea about these.

anyone know for sure/has gone through interviews for these places aleady?

Warwick don't interview. Not sure about other places. But I guess not.
Neither Cambridge nor UCL interviewed me(they were the only two I applied for)
Reply 79
roxy potter
Neither Cambridge nor UCL interviewed me(they were the only two I applied for)

As I expected: just anotehr indicator of the difference in competivity of msc economics c.f. BSc economics.

Quick Reply

Latest