The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hey Guys,

I just graduated from University of Illinois with a pretty decent GPA (3.47/4.00) in Economics. I also did a minor in Business and Environmental Economics & Law. I'm looking at applying for Econ Masters programs in the UK for the 2010/2011 year.

I had a few questions:

1) Does the taking the GRE/GMAT help?

2) If yes, I'm leaning towards taking the GRE, but should I consider the GMAT?

3) What are the deadlines for say, LSE and Warwick for their Masters programs?

4) Is there a noted advantage if I apply in December 2009 as opposed to a little later?

5) I'm currently working here in Mumbai, so I'm pretty crunched for time. In that case, could I submit my applications before January 2010, but send my GRE scores a little later?

6) When LSE says they need a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above from a US university, how hard are they on that mandate? If holistically, I have a good application (SoP, References ...) do I still stand a chance?

That's it for now at least. Its a good thing I stumbled upon this website. It seems to be a very good resource for people who want to study in the UK.

Cheers,

Sam
SaumitraB
Hey Guys,

LSE, Cambridge, Oxford and Warwick require it. I'd say a good GRE is a plus for UCL, even though it doesn't require one.

I don't think Econ programmes accept the GMAT.

Usually January i believe. LSE admits on a rolling basis.

4) Is there a noted advantage if I apply in December 2009 as opposed to a little later?

For LSE yes, for others probably not. My personal view though.

5) I'm currently working here in Mumbai, so I'm pretty crunched for time. In that case, could I submit my applications before January 2010, but send my GRE scores a little later?

No idea, sorry.

6) When LSE says they need a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above from a US university, how hard are they on that mandate? If holistically, I have a good application (SoP, References ...) do I still stand a chance?

If you have a stellar application otherwise, i'm sure they'll consider you.
Reply 102
Rob L

Usually January i believe. LSE admits on a rolling basis.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've started studying for the GRE and expect to take it sometime in November.

So, for a program that starts sometime in September/October 2010, wouldn't a January deadline be too early?

I was under the impression that if I apply in January, it would still be considered as an early application.
SaumitraB

So, for a program that starts sometime in September/October 2010, wouldn't a January deadline be too early?

I was under the impression that if I apply in January, it would still be considered as an early application.
That's normally the case with undergraduate courses. With postgraduate masters it varies with universities...

UCL's deadline is end of March
Warwick's is on-going or very late (as I called them up around May and they said they were still accepting).
St Andrew's Finance course is no later than May, etc.

I'm not sure about others, but maybe check out their websites.
Reply 104
Mustard-man
That's normally the case with undergraduate courses. With postgraduate it varies with universities...

UCL's deadline is end of March
Warwick's is on-going or very late (as I called them up around May and they said they were still accepting).
St Andrew's Finance course is no later than May, etc.

I'm not sure about others, but maybe check out their websites.

Yeah, UCL is March 2010. I like universities that give clear, concise information.

In any case, the applications themselves aren't too much of a hassle. I have most of my references on an electronic file and with the resources on this website, I'd say I only need to worry about getting a good GRE score now. :smile:
Rob L
I'd say a good GRE is a plus for UCL, even though it doesn't require one.

I found with UCL that there really wasn't anywhere for me to mention about the GRE. I really don't think they care about it at all. Of course, there's no harm in writing it in your personal statement somewhere.

I found with UCL that there really wasn't anywhere for me to mention about the GRE. I really don't think they care about it at all. Of course, there's no harm in writing it in your personal statement somewhere.

I was going to put a copy of my score report into the application.
Reply 107
is anyone who's not applying from abroad or to aborad bothered to do the gre?
Reply 108
SaumitraB
Hey Guys,

I just graduated from University of Illinois with a pretty decent GPA (3.47/4.00) in Economics. I also did a minor in Business and Environmental Economics & Law. I'm looking at applying for Econ Masters programs in the UK for the 2010/2011 year.

I had a few questions:

That's it for now at least. Its a good thing I stumbled upon this website. It seems to be a very good resource for people who want to study in the UK.

Cheers,

Sam

Earlier is better: more chance of getting funding. (How important is funding for you?)

You can apply to multiple programs (no 5 limit like there is with undergraduate applications). So you might as well apply to LSE.
SaumitraB
Hey Guys,

I had a few questions:

Cheers,

Sam

Earlier is always better, LSE(for sure) and Warwick(I think) have rolling admissions and sometimes courses fill up in LSE. I think you have a shot at LSE as long as you impress them every other way. The GRE is better than the GMAT in these situations, but I get the impression that the GRE only helps in situations where it is suggested or recommended(I could be wrong on that)
Paulwhy/Roxy potter,

As TSR gurus, I was wondering whether you might know of any websites/resources available which have some sample/example MSc Economics/Economic Research/PHD applications/thesis proposals. Of course, every application should be unique to the applicant, but I really feel that I would benefit greatly from seeing some examples of successful applications just so that I can get a feel for what a successful format may look like. Many thanks in advance.
hello guys thanks for this post it was really helpful!
I'm a Kuwaiti student currently doing his undergrad in BA in the AASCB accredited business school of Kuwait university and I'm a year away from being done , I've started looking at schools abroad and id really like to study in the UK and more specifically in either oxford or LSE for a masters and PHD in economics:

1) i majored economics in my undergrad and we take about 12 pure economics subject , will i need to do a diploma before i go on to do my masters?
2 ) my GPA will be somewhere between 3.5 and 3.7 on a 4 point scale would this be good enough for oxford?
3 ) we don't really do much maths in my classes just mainly hardcore theory of different economic schools of thought especially Keynesian and libertarian economics would this be a great handicap for me later? i guess I'm worried that i might find it too hard to cope with , what are the drop out rates at LSE and oxford masters programs? as well are most masters and PHD programs taught or research in the UK?
4 ) in terms of funding Kuwait nationals have many scholarship opportunities and funding wont be as much an issue even if i didn't get one of those. would this help me more in getting in since funding wouldn't be a problem?
5 ) even though the schools ask for 3 letters of Academic references is it OK if i provide more? and would it impress them more if i got a member of the Kuwait parliament to write one?
6 ) what kind of scores will i need in the GRE for oxford and LSE since both weren't clear on this issue.
7 ) oxford deadlines are January and LSE keeps enrolling till much later , since i do not finish till January would it hurt a lot if i chose i sent my admissions before the second deadline in march for oxford?
8 ) i did first language literature at IG level and english would be considered my mothers tongue , would i still need to do TOEFL?
9 ) any other advice you can give me about how i could go to oxford or LSE would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 112
gradstudent1983
Paulwhy/Roxy potter,

As TSR gurus, I was wondering whether you might know of any websites/resources available which have some sample/example MSc Economics/Economic Research/PHD applications/thesis proposals. Of course, every application should be unique to the applicant, but I really feel that I would benefit greatly from seeing some examples of successful applications just so that I can get a feel for what a successful format may look like. Many thanks in advance.

No.

chief mourner
hello guys thanks for this post it was really helpful!
I'm a Kuwaiti student currently doing his undergrad in BA in the AASCB accredited business school of Kuwait university and I'm a year away from being done , I've started looking at schools abroad and id really like to study in the UK and more specifically in either oxford or LSE for a masters and PHD in economics:

1) i majored economics in my undergrad and we take about 12 pure economics subject , will i need to do a diploma before i go on to do my masters?

How do you do on this quiz?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10923238#post10923238
actually we do cover most of the things on there probably some 80 % i would say , the macro and micro as well as the stat is all covered i think and as for the the math we do actually do an entire class on differential calculus and matrices as well as the cobbs douglas function :smile:
Reply 114
chief mourner
actually we do cover most of the things on there probably some 80 % i would say , the macro and micro as well as the stat is all covered i think and as for the the math we do actually do an entire class on differential calculus and matrices as well as the cobbs douglas function :smile:

So what was the 20% you did not do?
well we dont use computers to do regression analysis and we only take an introduction to econometrics , we also do an introduction to both micro and macro as well as intermediate macro and micro classes ( still have to take those ) and Im pretty sure game theory is covered in those , we do constrained optimization and we have done the F and t test as well as probability in statistics and we do simple and multiple regression analysis and we do differentiation with more than one variable and we take an entire class ( money and banking ) which focuses on monetary policy.
^^^To be honest, I would think that the lack in Econometrics alone would be enough to suggest you do a diploma first(if you're going to Cambs anyways). I suggest this based on my own experience, I only did introductory econometrics and I actually wish that I had done the diploma before the MPhil (and I had covered everything that you had covered at undergrad)
Reply 117
chief mourner
well we dont use computers to do regression analysis and we only take an introduction to econometrics , we also do an introduction to both micro and macro as well as intermediate macro and micro classes ( still have to take those ) and Im pretty sure game theory is covered in those , we do constrained optimization and we have done the F and t test as well as probability in statistics and we do simple and multiple regression analysis and we do differentiation with more than one variable and we take an entire class ( money and banking ) which focuses on monetary policy.

To be honest that sounds a lot more than 20%. So assuming finance is not an issue doing a diploma first would make a lot of sense.
oh ok well that is something to think about the thing is i dont think i have the time to do it and then id have to weigh in the fact that some scholarships just wouldnt see the luxury of a diploma all that attractive given the costs so i might have to do some type of supplementary classes in the time i have left but the real question is would my grades be sufficient for oxford? or are they lower than what is expected? id also love some advice on how to get in for my case :smile: that is just so i know what my options are. , id really love your input paul you seem to be right on top of things :smile:
Reply 119
chief mourner
oh ok well that is something to think about the thing is i dont think i have the time to do it and then id have to weigh in the fact that some scholarships just wouldnt see the luxury of a diploma all that attractive given the costs so i might have to do some type of supplementary classes in the time i have left but the real question is would my grades be sufficient for oxford? or are they lower than what is expected? id also love some advice on how to get in for my case :smile: that is just so i know what my options are. , id really love your input paul you seem to be right on top of things :smile:

Not sure that you can personally this year fix the failing of Economics education in Kuwait. I suspect that Oxbridge and LSE would know the weakness of Kuwaiti Education education and that they would not let you (directly) onto their masters programmes. So they might 'make' you do a diploma first. I don't know if that would help with the funding situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending