The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think the words; childish, stereotypical and narrow-minded, would sum up the first post. :smile:
Reply 41
inequality
Has anyone considered that Brooksey might just be winding you up (look at his past posts)? It's so easy to wind people up on here. Just chill.

Alas he speaks the truth it is so very easy to wind you all up. I think you all need to take a chill pill....its like malibu (seriously easy going)
Reply 42
:congrats: This is a really stupid thread. At least some of you are aware of this
i know loads of public school kids who are really nice people. I think it may be too much of a stereotype. Its not their fault even if they are, allowing the private sector to play a part in education is disgraceful and should be abolished. But its not the kids who go theres fault, theyre just trying to get on with life as good as they can as anybody would if they had the chance. Obviously the problem is that not everybody does and thats why reform needs to happen, but its no fault of the students...
Reply 44
I go to a state school but..

they ar so far up their own arse

believe that they are better than everyone else!

Don't they describe your post perfectly?

If I were to have children and I had the financial means I would certainly want them to go to a private school.
Reply 45
Brooksey
Do people from public schools annoy you because they ar so far up their own arse, and believe that they are better than everyone else!

P.s For all you toffs out there I am not a "chav" i live in the countryside and i simply am a proud working class man! (by the way i apologise to those public school pupils who do not follow the above trend)

yet another thread from someone who is clearly misinformed... :rolleyes:
Gaz031
I go to a state school but..

Don't they describe your post perfectly?

If I were to have children and I had the financial means I would certainly want them to go to a private school.

Thats my point exactly, as would anybody else want their kids to, but the problem is that not every parent has the opportunity to or worse not every child has the opportunity.

Equality of Opportunity is a key feature of a meritocratic society and, private sector schools contradict the whole idea. But with the system in place you just cant blame the people who use it, because they are doing what anybody else in their position would do.
for the record ive been state educated all my life.....
Reply 48
I actually wouldn't send my kids to private school. xx
well the point is that you want the best for your kids, and that may be not to send them to a private school, personally i disagree with them and so I wouldnt want them to. But the point is that its not the kids who go there's fault...
My mum says that if it had been her choice I would have been in a private school from the start of my school years. She only just got her way in September and for year 11 I am in a private college. The people in my college are not stuck up their own arses at all. Most of them know how fortunate they are to go to a place we go to. Yes there are some that think they are better but only like one or two of them in the whole college and somehow that's how people percive us all :mad: . It is discrimination. Discrimination is sickening. You can not judge a group of people by just a few of them. Anyway yeah that is how I feel.
Reply 51
*Bethany*
:rolleyes:

Am state educated now, but spent 5 years of my life in private education - all girls', no less.

Yes, of course there are snobby people; just as there are *everywhere*. I was in a group of 10 friends - 7 very rich, 3 (including me) on bursaries. No-one looked down on me because I had less money (apart from one girl; but she was the archetypal stereotype to which you refer and a right ***** with it...) They did very much take it for granted, and I'm sure that there is an *element* of truth in your statement; but generalising is harsh.

I remember that groups of people from the other schools in the area used to stop off by our school and shout, "you're a bunch of lezzies"! :rolleyes: Sometimes in shops or on the street state school students used to take the p*ss and call us snobs, etc - despite the fact they knew nothing about us! Which kinda gives *you* a bad reputation, as oppose to us - but I'd never go around saying all state educated people where rude and intolerant (although you come across that way...)

Generalisations and stereotypes are unfair

I went to an all boys school, and we had the same problem with some of the 'locals'. However, it was nothing to do with the school they were at, it was just who they were. Most people from most schools are fine, but you will always get some obnoxious self-interested idiots.
Reply 52
Inferiority complex.
Reply 53
i go to a public school for girls. everyone is really nice and friendly at my school.
Public school boys look so nice in their smart uniforms :biggrin:
Reply 55
I know some well safe people who were privately educated, however, the number of privately schooled people who are disillusioned into the belief that they are better than everyone else is unreal. The guys which start rich, go to a stupidly expensive private school and then on to cambridge or Oxford are the worst.

Whether or not they can see it themselves i don't know, although it certainly seems not, a lot of them don't properly intergrate with society and are stuck firmly believing they have more right to be alive than others do, and anybody wearing a tracksuit is automatically a bad person.

It's probably a lot to do with general intelligence being higher in public schools, the majority of stuck up people i've met have been very intelligent, and there certainly seems to be some sort of a corellation, whether you admit it's true or not, it is.

I'd hope nobody takes offence, but anybody who can't see that the stereotypical pretentious, racist tory schoolboy isn't doing society any good has issues.
Reply 56
Chris.
anybody wearing a tracksuit is automatically a bad person.

Well, that is usually the case - especially if they have extremely white trainers on with their trousers tucked into their socks. Oh dear me...

Chris.
I'd hope nobody takes offence, but anybody who can't see that the stereotypical pretentious, racist tory schoolboy isn't doing society any good has issues.

What is everyone's problem with the Tories? People are always putting them down - far more often than the other parties anyway.

I take offence.
Reply 57
We'll be having none of that! *says the conservative moderator*
Reply 58
Brooksey
Do people from public schools annoy you because they ar so far up their own arse, and believe that they are better than everyone else!

P.s For all you toffs out there I am not a "chav" i live in the countryside and i simply am a proud working class man! (by the way i apologise to those public school pupils who do not follow the above trend)

Since when did Privately educated people think their better than everyone else?

Its just your stereotypical view of Private schools. And you'd be suprised how many 'working class' people actually go to these schools. Many of them want a high level of education so that they can obtain good jobs when they're older.

I've been at a Private school for 2 years after moving from a state school and i cant believe the way Privately educated people are treated. I've seen some pretty cruel stuff where a privately educated person has been bullied by a state school pupil after school.

From what ive seen state school pupils think theyre better than privately educated pupils!
Reply 59
Eeyore
Public school boys look so nice in their smart uniforms :biggrin:

thanks very much :p:

i'm glad i look good in something :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending