The Student Room Group
Reply 1
EmmaDilemma
So yet again I failed..I don't know how cos I found it quite an easy paper.. but anywho I think it's just my stupid mistakes.

Do you guys reckon that it'll be exceptionally hard for me to push that Fail to a B in two weeks? :/

(I got 45%)

I think it will mean quite a bit of hard work, but by no means is it impossible.

My brother failed his second prelim in Pysics last year, buckled down and got an A band 1 in the exam. However he put in little work for the prelim, how much work did you put in?

God luck :o:
Didn't you check over your paper for mistakes?
Last year we did all of the past papers... marking instructions are on SQA website or if you're still stuck someone'll help you if you post on here. That was by far the most help for me as you can see how to solve different types of questions
Reply 4
it's gonna be hard because you still have to revise for your other exams but it is doable. good luck.
Reply 5
Oh also I thinkexam technique is very important especially for exams with multiple choice, so yeah practise past papers and look oon the SQA website for sample question papers which contain multiple choice (its quite hard to find examples of these since it was newly added_
Reply 6
EmmaDilemma
Do you guys reckon that it'll be exceptionally hard for me to push that Fail to a B in two weeks? :/

(I got 45%)

Absolutely not, if you put in enough time and effort. There's still plenty of time to get more practice in and the prelims are typically more difficult than the finals anyway. Good luck.
Only having 2 weeks is not helpful, but if it gives you any encouragement i got 43% in my first prelim last year ad ended up with an A, so it is possible.

Only advice would be to do a 'line of asterisks' load of past papers.
Reply 8
Its nowhere near impossible :smile: You just need to practice questions till the death so you know what is used where..
Ape Gone Insane
People in my class got 8%, Lol.

Ouch.

But anyway, i think all but a couple of the second class failed their first prelim, but the vast majority passed their second prelim and some got over 85%. So yes, it can be done. After you've practised enough questions a lot of your answers will just be automatic.

e.g. Finding equation of tangent to a curve.

You will find yourself immediatley differentiating, putting in the known x value into the derivative to work out the gradient of the tangent, using the formula y-b=m(x-a)...
It's amazing how much you can do with good knowledge of straight lines :smile:
Reply 11
I went from 56% (in my first Prelim) to 78% (just got that back today - soooo happy :eek3: :woo: :eek3: ).

I did no revision after the first Prelim, all I did was revise on Monday and Tuesday of last week in the long weekend. That is just two days work - and my maths teacher said it was a hard prelim.

And really all I did was do practice questions from textbooks, revision questions and past papers (including perfect papers) and kept on doing them and looking over what I got wrong.

Basically thats two days to add 22%

Yeah meteorshower I love straight lines, never got a question wrong on lines :P
In that case you'd be well advised to revise quite a bit for the real thing, you may have fluked it.
Reply 13
Meteorshower
In that case you'd be well advised to revise quite a bit for the real thing, you may have fluked it.

I did revise my ass off you two days though - but I need an A so I will be revising like hell up until it, including the 5 days between English and Maths.

I did do a 2004 past paper before I did the second Prelim and got 74% in that, got my dad to mark it - but still I really want to be sure and see what your saying.:cool:
CJN
I did revise my ass off you two days though - but I need an A so I will be revising like hell up until it, including the 5 days between English and Maths.

I did do a 2004 past paper before I did the second Prelim and got 74% in that, got my dad to mark it - but still I really want to be sure and see what your saying.:cool:

Exactly, better safe than sorry :smile:
Reply 15
Meteorshower
Exactly, better safe than sorry :smile:

Yep - On those two days I revised like 10-7 with a few breaks - I plan to do it again :smile:

Also - I think unit 3 helped me a lot, I found vectors easy, but the further calculus helped a lot with my integration and the whole thing generally seemed to make me understand it more, a lot of people in my year also seemed to say that.
I got my exit prelim back today and got my very first B for Higher Maths (66%) so I'm well chuffed - past papers and practise does pay off!
I need a B for Edinburgh so this has gave me a slight more positive attitude as i can do it :smile:
Reply 17
rosie9391
I got my exit prelim back today and got my very first B for Higher Maths (66%) so I'm well chuffed - past papers and practise does pay off!
I need a B for Edinburgh so this has gave me a slight more positive attitude as i can do it :smile:

What are you wanting to do there? I want to do physics or engineering, they both need a B but I want an A just to be sure plus gives me the possible option of Imperial if I wanna go their and work hard next year.
CJN
What are you wanting to do there? I want to do physics or engineering, they both need a B but I want an A just to be sure plus gives me the possible option of Imperial if I wanna go their and work hard next year.

I've got a conditional for Physical Geography and Geology :smile:
Really hope i can meet the conditions as the course, city and people are great!

Latest

Trending

Trending