The Student Room Group

Does anyone else have troube maintaining their fringe?

Hiya. :smile:

I have a block fringe and am having trouble straightening it.

I wash and blow dry it (as well as the rest of my hair) but when it comes to straightening, it goes in with a curve and moves to the left. The hairdresser was able to do it fine; when she dried and straightened it the fringe managed to stay in shape and straight, but I seem to be having trouble. It looks messy and I'm having to change my parting so I can tie it to the side with a clip lol

Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

I have a full asymmetric fringe...mine straightens fine though, I used to have that problem...I use volumising mousse for a bit of extra control (and it bulks up my layers!) and straighten it forwards instead of downwards, and it seems to work. If you want it dead straight, use a medium temperature rather than low (not a high temp cause that can make it stringy I've found).

Hope that helps.
Reply 2
use a round brush whilst straightening your fringe...

and when your drying it, position it where you want it, and dry it with the nozzle facing down using a round brush
Reply 3
blow dry it straight? or not possible?
i have a side fringe and can't straighten mine either
I use a round brush whilst blow drying my hair and then I don't really need to straighten it. And if I do straighten it to make it completely straight, I pull it up and straighten (like when the hairdresser is cutting your fringe) and when it falls its lovely and straight :smile:
Only in the sense that Im slowly losing my hair, soon to be bald
Reply 6
jaaade:)
blow dry it straight? or not possible?
i have a side fringe and can't straighten mine either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqbgt41cGFw&feature=channel

skip to 6.30, I use the same method, and its great:yep:
Reply 7
xnazx
use a round brush whilst straightening your fringe...

and when your drying it, position it where you want it, and dry it with the nozzle facing down using a round brush

wow u sound like a pro
(and ur fit)

anyway OP, i just bang on some dax wax on ma fringe and its sorted. it wud be good for girls to, give it a try!
honestly i'd just grow it out! i had the same problem with a full fringe, even my friend's ghds+hair dresser sister couldn't keep it tame for more than half an hour :tongue: i grew it out, it's soo much less hassle
Reply 9
i have a full fringe too, and it's a nightmare at times. mine isn't a block fringe as such, but it's a full one with a curve in (sounds weirder than it looks) so it's really obvious if it's not completely straight!

i blowdry mine down, and then use sectioning clips to straighten it. i use one to clip away everything that isn't my fringe (i have short layers near it) and then another clip to clip back half of it. i then straighten the first half by straightening from the center to the right, and then from the center to the left. then i take out the clip holding back the other half of my fringe and do the same.

i don't know if that will make any sense to you but it's the only thing that works for me! i cannot straighten it all in one go or it just looks ridiculous.
No.
Yeah, I've grown mine out to a side fringe now.

I never have time to blow dry my hair in the morning, and I don't like washing it too regularly anyway. The upkeep was just too much. I know hair always looks its best the day you leave a salon, but I was fed up of that being the only time it looked good!
I have a block fringe, but I'm growing it out so now it's all over my eyes and I have to clip it back everyday!

Sorry... can't help. :frown:
Reply 13
Shampoo your hair straight as if you were styling it and use your hand as a comb and follow same procedure as conditioning and same for blowdrying.

Should do the trick, does for me when i had a fringe.
Reply 14
Yeah, I'm going to get it done soon:awesome:
Reply 15
watermelon sugar
honestly i'd just grow it out! i had the same problem with a full fringe, even my friend's ghds+hair dresser sister couldn't keep it tame for more than half an hour i grew it out, it's soo much less hassle

I was in the process of growing it out but had it cut again since going to the hairdressers. :/ I really like having a block fringe because it suits my face but it's a shame how I can't maintain it lol! I've just changed my parting to the side now so I can clip it back. It's so time-consuming!!!
I have a block fringe and I never use a hairdryer/straighteners/any styling product except shampoo & conditioner, and my fringe always dries straight naturally, whilst the rest of my hair dries really wavy! I guess I'm just lucky...or I have weird hair. :tongue:
Reply 17
I grew mine out into a side fringe because it kept going in a side parting anyway, and because the bits at the sides always seems to grow faster!
I have a block fringe - don't put conditioner on it, dry it frontways and split it in two parts when straightening. If it's curling to the side then it's possible the side bits are too long. Mine ALWAYS turn into a cowlick when it's too long.
Reply 19
I don't use straighteners on mine because it just goes everywhere. I use a medium sized round brush when I blowdry it because it takes a little longer to 'set' than when you straighten so you have a few goes to get rid of any weird bits. I just curl the brush under my fringe and blast it with the hairdryer. The first time I do it it goes really curved and stupid looking, but if you flatten it out a little and do it a few times it gets a nice curve and sits straight.

Latest