The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is just one case. we never know what else might have happened. still though, it is shocking
Reply 2
What's shocking? That out of 1.4 million American soldiers, some are criminals? Or that the criminal in question was convicted and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison?
Reply 3
Bismarck
What's shocking? That out of 1.4 million American soldiers, some are criminals? Or that the criminal in question was convicted and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison?

Do you honestly believe this is an isolated incident?
Reply 4
Descient
Do you honestly believe this is an isolated incident?

Yes.
Reply 5
D-Day
Yes.

I don't know. I think, and not only with the US army but probably every army, this is a lot more common than people think. Plenty of soldiers are little more than criminals in uniform, who'd probably be serving time in prison if they weren't serving their country abroad.
Reply 6
Descient
I don't know. I think, and not only with the US army but probably every army, this is a lot more common than people think. Plenty of soldiers are little more than criminals in uniform, who'd probably be serving time in prison if they weren't serving their country abroad.

The evidence provided with your argument really makes me believe you. :smile:
D-Day
Yes.

No - soldiers have been committing rape for centuries.

and its hardly something new there has been more than one case of a soldier being hanged for rape

And i hope he receives a harsh penalty what he did was sickening.
Reply 8
LH123

No need for the sarcasm.

There have been plenty of cases of soldier wrongdoings in Iraq, from what happened in Abu Ghraib (sp) to this. Have a look at the War Child website if you want more evidence.
Reply 9
silverbolt
No - soldiers have been committing rape for centuries.

and its hardly something new there has been more than one case of a soldier being hanged for rape

And i hope he receives a harsh penalty what he did was sickening.

Exactly. The person who thinks this was a single, isolated incident is either extremely naive or extremely biased.
Reply 10
LH123

Exactly my point. I don't believe something like this until I have proof that it happens. To say that it happens without having information to back it up is an opinion, not fact.
Reply 11
D-Day
Exactly my point. I don't believe something like this until I have proof that it happens. To say that it happens without having information to back it up is an opinion, not fact.

One can surely be forgiven for assuming that a 24 year old American is at least moderately aware of his government's actions in other countries :rolleyes:

Does Abu Ghraib ring a bell? How about all the sexual abuse and torture that went on there?
Was pretty brutal what they did to that family. If one person got caught, makes you wonder how many have got away with something similar.
Yes the US soldiers deserve our respect for the great job they did in Iraq.

What a joke.
Reply 14
The death penalty? that should teach em a lesson
Descient

Precisely.
I read an article the other day about female soldiers in the American amry being sexually harassed and assaulted by their so called 'comrades'.
If that's what they're doing to their own side, imagine what they're doing to the enemy.
As sad and horrific as it is, it happens, especially when people are put under the kind of pressure that warfare involves.

I know someone who had to deal with this kind of thing in the Royal Marines, and from otherwise decent men. Put pressure on an animal (and I use that term in the least derogatory way possible) and animalistic behavior can come out. Of course, that doesn't excuse this kind of behaviour but it maybe help people to understand it.
Reply 17
ocelotrevs
Precisely.
I read an article the other day about female soldiers in the American amry being sexually harassed and assaulted by their so called 'comrades'.
If that's what they're doing to their own side, imagine what they're doing to the enemy.

:facepalm: omg, so you think that because there has been a handfull of rape cases, every Soldier goes to Iraq/ Afghanistan, on some kind of massive raping/murder spree....

Any Army is an incredibly diverse organisation, each Battalion/Regiment, is like a village or a small town. Its inevitable that you will have criminals, rapists, sadists.

Are you that naive to think that all soldiers arent Angels. That is like being surprised when a murderer turns out to be a postman, or a taxi driver a rapist.

C'mon open you eyes a little. This is the real world not some Daily Mail concucted fairy tale.:rolleyes:
Reply 18
Oh look! All the anti army clan have come out in force.
To those saying it isn't an isolated incident: surely your "Liberal sensibilities" have lead you to believe "Innocent until proven guilty", right?
To those bringing up scandals: battalions consist of a huge amount of people, naturally there'll be some criminals amongst them. You can tar all soldiers with the same brush no more than you can say all Londoners are criminals.
Aeolus
:facepalm: omg, so you think that because there has been a handfull of rape cases, every Soldier goes to Iraq/ Afghanistan, on some kind of massive raping/murder spree....

Any Army is an incredibly diverse organisation, each Battalion/Regiment, is like a village or a small town. Its inevitable that you will have criminals, rapists, sadists.

Are you that naive to think that all soldiers arent Angels. That is like being surprised when a murderer turns out to be a postman, or a taxi driver a rapist.

C'mon open you eyes a little. This is the real world not some Daily Mail concucted fairy tale.:rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about?
At no point did I say that all soldiers in the US Army are rapists. I used those articles to show that those sort of things happen more than people realise.

Latest

Trending

Trending