The Student Room Group

English people using Americanisms - does it annoy you?

One of my housemates chirps, "Hey guys" whenever he walks in to the room. I've heard girls talking about shaking their 'asses' in nightclubs, I've heard boys talking about 'jacking off'....another mate of mine calls me 'dude'....DUDE for ***** sake!!

Does this type of **** annoy anyone as much as me? Or am I just a grumpy old man in a 21 year old's body??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes it does, especially younger children. My cousin is 12 and she always says things like 'parking lot' or 'go to the movies' etc and it gets on my nerves so much!
everyone says hey guys, hey y'all or y'alright? is a bit more american
I find it more cringeworthy when an American uses an English slang word.

Saying "quid" in an American accent just sounds weird.
It's weird when english people say "mom" too. My brother does it for some weird reason.
tropical-twist3
everyone says hey guys, hey y'all or y'alright? is a bit more american

No they don't!! Its just dumb middle class student types with no sense of national identity!!. If its me I will say "alright lads" to a bunch of boys or just "alright" to a mixed or female bunch.
Reply 6
I don't care. It's just word of mouth evolution of language...the same way the spanish bought their language to the americas by being there and influencing the natives...the presence of american shows on tv and the interent allows the transmission to other parts of the world....albeit more quickly. I really don't care, it's natural and i have more important things to get annoyed about
not bothered
Reply 8
Local_United_Fan
No they don't!! Its just dumb middle class student types with no sense of national identity!!. If its me I will say "alright lads" to a bunch of boys or just "alright" to a mixed or female bunch.

So really you mean regional identity, rather than national..? Lad/lass is a Northern thing..
Reply 9
sick dude. wanna go get hammered in the 'lot with a keg?
"Shaking their asses" sounds better than "Shaking their bottoms" that just sounds wrong.
Totally agree with you mate. Us English lads should stick to Englishisms!!
Local_United_Fan

there's nothing wrong with hey guys! It addresses the whole group

what does annoy me is when my sister says 'hey peeps'...hey peeps? Hey peeps!? wtf is that!?
Hate it!
teshla^^
"Shaking their asses" sounds better than "Shaking their bottoms" that just sounds wrong.

I thought the english equivalent was arse?
tropical-twist3
I thought the english equivalent was arse?

"Shaking their arse's" sounds bad aswell.
Reply 16
I don't like to hear them either, it annoys me. Unfortunately they seem to be increasing in popularity, I blame the stupid number of American TV programs that are shown over here, and the idiots for watching them.
Americanization, been happening for years. McDonalds, Starbucks, Coke, TV shows, movies...

Inevitable we will pick up the odd word or two non?
I learned my English from movies, so I wouldn't really know how to speak "English English"

All my English co-workers make fun of me because of that...

I am never gonna get used to saying "bottom", or "lads"... it just sounds wrong!
I'm sure it's just as annoying the other way round. They adopted our whole language FFS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending