The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see how this can avoid getting racist.
Reply 2
coren111

Religion =/= Race.

That logic could be applied to almost every thread. A thread about whether people agree or disagree with homosexuality becoming homophobic, etc. Those threads are allowed to stay open.

Abusive posts will be reported.
I dunno, Hinduism? Sikhism, anything which isn't Abrahamic tbh.
Reply 4
All of them, Religion is the cause of all great wars/travesties/disasters/murders.

And if I'm wrong, then who is right?
Reply 5
coren111

totally agree - for you to think otherwise is a little naive its a sensitive topic and bound to get out of hand...but like u said ever1 is entitled to their own opinions, lets hope people are mature enough not to be damn rude:s-smilie:
Reply 6
Hinduism or the one with many gods
Reply 7
Regina George
Religion =/= Race.

Abusive posts will be reported.

Yes everyone know racism is a misnomer but a hatred for someone of a particular religion is racist.

The UN does not define "racism", however it does define "racial discrimination": according to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. '[2]

Religion is an ethnic group as an ethnic group is a group of human beings whose members identify with each other, through a common heritage that is real or presumed.
Reply 8
As if we couldn't guess the winner...
Reply 9
amelia.x
Yes everyone know racism is a misnomer but a hatred for someone of a particular religion is racist.

The UN does not define "racism", however it does define "racial discrimination": according to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. '[2]

Religion is an ethnic group as an ethnic group is a group of human beings whose members identify with each other, through a common heritage that is real or presumed.

I prefer the Oxford Dictionary definition, tbh.

racism

noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

It's not a good idea to base definitions from law. 'Life imprisonment' is an example of this.
Bubbles*de*Milo
I dunno, Hinduism? Sikhism, anything which isn't Abrahamic tbh.

This
OP, the list is a bit limited.
Mos Def

This :rolleyes:
Reply 13
obviously everyone votes for the one that's portrayed the worst in the media, we all know which one that is...
Mos Def

:yikes: The result is absolutely shocking. Who would've thought? I only wish somebody warned me beforehand that it was common knowledge.
Reply 15
Ignorance - it seems to be the biggest religion around today.
Regina George
This will be controversial, but people are entitled to their views and to provide constructive critique.

Purely abusive remarks will be reported.

How can you disagree with one religion more than another, i don't get it... surely if you think one is false because its empirically/logically false, then that applies to the others as well. I suppose you can disLIKE religions to different degrees because of their differing roles and doctrines within society, but disagree...

I suppose Islam is fairly intolerant and some of the laws in Muslim countries are completely irrational and overly harsh (because of the religion, primarily). But then again I don't really understand what it is like to be INSIDE of the faith (or the 'game' as Wittgenstein might say). I cant even comprehend a single rational reason to become a believer, especially in one of the Judeo-Christian faiths, and so naturally I disagree with their metaphysical claims.

However, as Plato argued, myths of religion can express deep philosophical truths, and studying philosophy of religion is very interesting. Moreover, as Randell/Tillich/Braithwaite argue, the language of religion is coloured with social significance, it can stir strong emotion and bind communities through a common response to faith. Also, maybe religion gives people a kind of channel through which they can express their mystifying wonder and awe of the universe - similarly to poetry or art or music. We could go as far as to say, in Schopenhauerian terms, that religion can provide a membrane through to the world of the will, or the form of the good according to Plato.

hm.... now i'm just chatting bs
Reply 17
I personally do not agree with any religion as I am a humanist.
My family discrminated my late mother for her problems due to their religious beliefs even though they had the same faults. Before she died, she stated that she wanted her ashed buried in the local anglican church - needless to say it didn't go down well with her catholic siblings, even though they are not practising catholics.
I also dislike religion (as other people have said) as true religion states "love thy neighbour" even though many factions of different religions happily kill each other
Reply 18
hinduism is the worst for me
Reply 19
Islam. Bugger off with all the media stereotyping rubbish.

From my sig:

I judge a religion as being good or bad based on whether its adherents become better people as a result of practicing it. ~Joe Mullally

While I'll admit my experience of the world is still fairly modest, I've found that from my experience, Christianity does tend to make it's followers become better people. Islam, on the other hand, seems to make it's followers worse. The nicest Muslim I know barely follows the religion, to be honest.

Latest

Trending

Trending