Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The TSR Atheism Society (Ath-Soc)

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 35 followers

Join here

I've decided to start an atheism society for the discussion and progression of atheist and naturalistic viewpoints of the world.

Atheism is the state of either not having any theistic beliefs or of actively disbelieving in the existence of god's or goddesses.

There are however several subclasses of atheists and if you feel you belong to any one of these classes then feel free to join, just sign up to the society in this thread.

Weak Atheism: A weak atheist is someone who does not actively believe in the existence of deities, they may either have not considered the possibilities and are atheist by default, or they may believe that there is not enough evidence to support the belief in any deities. Agnostic Atheism also falls under this category, and agnostic is someone who does not believe that the existence of deities is provable, and the agnostic atheist is someone who while accepting the possibility of a deity, does not actively hold theistic beliefs. There is also a second category of agnostic, namely the agnostic theist, who while accepting that it is impossible to prove the existence of a deity, still believes in one.

Strong Atheism: A strong atheist believes that there are no deities. They actively refute the existence of a god or pantheon of gods. This category would for instance class a Buddhist as an atheist as they do not actively believe in the existence of god. While I would be happy for any Buddhists to join this society, I doubt that any will.

An even stronger position than strong atheism, although most strong atheists belong to the following category is naturalism, (not to be confused with naturism)

Naturalism: A naturalist believes that all phenomena can be explained through natural causes alone. So whereas someone who practised astrology may not actively believe in the existence of God and hence be an atheist they advocate the existence of spiritual and supernatural causes for events on earth and hence cannot be categorised as a Naturalist.

Mind, the Atheism Society will not promote any one form of atheistic belief over another and welcomes members who feel they belong to any of the above categories or even someone who has doubts about their faith and would like to discuss the possibility of becoming an atheist.

Should probably mention that I've linked this page to the soc now. :yy:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spose that makes me a naturalist agnostic athiest (think it's all guff but don't think it's possible to prove or disprove certain types of guff).

(and also a closet naturist)

I'm in
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me wants to join as a strong atheist and naturalist
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a strong atheist.

MB
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agnostic here. I suppose that makes me a weak atheist :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Welcome everyone!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    *cough*

waddaya know I coughed and accidentally bumped this thread:eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Comeon, there must be more Athiests on TSR than this ... join up and be proud of it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmph.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about people who believe in astrology, spirituality etc, but do not believe that these things are unexplainable/apart from natural causes?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If they have no belief in god then they are athiests. If they truly believe that astrology can be explained by natural causes then they are also Naturalists. I would be very interested indeed to hear what their explanation for those phenomena is though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    Hmph.
    Hehe, that was your 666th post btw.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMM)
    If they have no belief in god then they are athiests. If they truly believe that astrology can be explained by natural causes then they are also Naturalists. I would be very interested indeed to hear what their explanation for those phenomena is though.
    There is a difference between thinking that these things can be explained by natural causes, and actually being able to explain them.
    I don't believe in astrology, but i do believe in parapsychological phenomena (and have done some research into whether a persons belief in this affects its ability), and do believe that there is some sort of 'natural' cause (i hate the term natural personally, but i'll go with it for the moment).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What phenomena in particular are you referring to?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this.

My heart says - strong athiest - god does NOT exist
    My head says - aaahhhhh but agnostic is a more reasoned/logical view to hold

And then I thought - hang on a minute I believe in father christmas - so I can't be a naturalist

:confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    father christmas
    To quote Bart Simpson, "There's only one fat guy that brings me presents at Christmas."
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMM)
    To quote Bart Simpson, "There's only one fat guy that brings me presents at Christmas."
    but if he doesn't exist where do the presents come from and who eats the mince pies :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the term for me is - I don't think there is a deity, but frankly I don't care whether there is one or not, as I believe that if there is then existence is irrelevant to us.

Arthur C. Clarke suggested an interesting view in one of his fiction books. He proposed that there are actually two concepts of deity, which he called Alpha and Omega - Alpha being a Christian-style God who watches over the world and sits in judgment, and Omega being the creator of the universe, who may or may not have had anything to do with it since it was created (!). The idea is that Alpha is probably a load of rubbish, but Omega is a bit harder to dispute.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMM)
    What phenomena in particular are you referring to?
    Well my research was into precognition, but i'm talking about clairvoyance, remote viewing etc, to anything like rituals, magic... lots of things.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I see... *backs slowly away from the crazy man*.
Updated: February 26, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.