• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Consider yourself signed and up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll join. Im defo a strong atheist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Naturalistic weak atheist here. Sign me up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood how people can justify being atheist. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist, similarly you can't prove that he does - but then surely it is more logical to be agnostic, believing that nothing can be verified or known about God - but not essentially denying God's existence. I don't deny that God exists because to me there is a lot of evidence to suggest that some form of deity does exist. Or is organised religion and faith simply the "opium of the people" as Karl Marx said? I don't think we can assume God's existence completely unless we have experienced him at first hand through some form of spiritual connection, and I don't think it makes sense to deny it, either.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I've never understood how people can justify being atheist. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist, similarly you can't prove that he does - but then surely it is more logical to be agnostic, believing that nothing can be verified or known about God - but not essentially denying God's existence. I don't deny that God exists because to me there is a lot of evidence to suggest that some form of deity does exist. Or is organised religion and faith simply the "opium of the people" as Karl Marx said? I don't think we can assume God's existence completely unless we have experienced him at first hand through some form of spiritual connection, and I don't think it makes sense to deny it, either.
    Occam's razor as a principle of science

Also, Karl Marx's statement is about class consciousness, not the existence of god.

MB
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in god, therefore I'm an atheist.

You either believe in god or you don't believe in god. One can't say 'I don't know if I believe in god or not'. You either do or you don't. You're either a theist/deist/pantheist/etc or an atheist. Agnosticism refers only to knowledge [one can be an agnostic theist], so I can admit my lack of knowledge, but still form a belief [or, more likely, believe something instinctively, since our beliefs are based on our senses].

One can say 'I don't know if god exists, but I still don't believe she does', and therefore one is an atheist, or, if you would prefer, an agnostic atheist, as I am.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unlike you I don't see a lot of evidence that suggests some form of deity exists. In fact I see no evidence that a deity exists, therefore it would be foolish for me to accept god into my world view when it can do perfectly well without a deity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a great society, what a great idea. My parents sent me to a Christian school and in a 3 weeks I LEAVE! I just have to get the GCSEs over first. Thank the lord <sarcasm, don't worry> Anyways,

SIGN ME UP!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where do i sign? I believe in Evolution, there is more proof to that than "God".

Also i dont mind religious people but i dont like it when they try to convert you...it is a choice whether or not to believe and i respect that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'l join! thanks for letting me know what i am! im open minded so theres not much i totally rule out but i dont believe. so put me in!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sup all, I'd like to join if I may
    Agnostic all the way...

I'm no religious expert, but I heard an arguement Godel-style about not being able to proove God's existance.
    Well proof of God denies faith, and God apparantly refuses to proove himself, which means if anyone ever found a proof for God's existance, it would therefore disproove his existance AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So basically if you proove his existance you disproove it and if you disproove it you disproove it - woops, then again this only screws over theologians

Cheers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Righto, sorry i've been away, exams and stuff. Anyway, i've added the last batch of people to join. Enjoy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are we goint to get an icon? If we do I might have to get ride of my left hander one to make space for the more serious socs... What sort of image would encapsulate the spirit (lol!) of this society? A big no-smoking-style red ring with a line through it and God in the middle?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How about the attached logo? :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should be inflammatory. Anyway, i've sent off a suggested logo to pig, just need to wait for him to set it all up now.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    'A' has put new socities on hold for a while until he installs VB 3.5.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That might be quite a while then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does this society concede the possibility of a non-theological god such as that suggested by Nick Bostrom's simulation argument?

Btw that the Christian God is a He and that man is supposedly made in His image to me constitutes proof of His redundancy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How is a non theological god a god? Hmm interesting question... I personally do not believe we are a simulation, but maybe that is just wishful thinking because i'm a Physicist.

I still maintain that the universe is a natural phenomena and hence I do not believe we are a simulation because that would not be a natural universe. Ultimately the same questions still apply to the universe in which the simulator exists, unless you believe in infinite regress of simulations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a simulated universe, there would be a creator with agency; ie. the designer of the simulation. And I'm not clever enough to think of a decent refutation of Bostrom's logic. Yeah when you say 'non-theological god', 'god' is just a handy metaphor, although it would have some of the properties of a Christian God or an Allah etc.
Updated: February 26, 2013
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.