Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The TSR Atheism Society (Ath-Soc)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Consider yourself signed and up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll join. Im defo a strong atheist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Naturalistic weak atheist here. Sign me up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood how people can justify being atheist. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist, similarly you can't prove that he does - but then surely it is more logical to be agnostic, believing that nothing can be verified or known about God - but not essentially denying God's existence. I don't deny that God exists because to me there is a lot of evidence to suggest that some form of deity does exist. Or is organised religion and faith simply the "opium of the people" as Karl Marx said? I don't think we can assume God's existence completely unless we have experienced him at first hand through some form of spiritual connection, and I don't think it makes sense to deny it, either.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I've never understood how people can justify being atheist. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist, similarly you can't prove that he does - but then surely it is more logical to be agnostic, believing that nothing can be verified or known about God - but not essentially denying God's existence. I don't deny that God exists because to me there is a lot of evidence to suggest that some form of deity does exist. Or is organised religion and faith simply the "opium of the people" as Karl Marx said? I don't think we can assume God's existence completely unless we have experienced him at first hand through some form of spiritual connection, and I don't think it makes sense to deny it, either.
    Occam's razor as a principle of science

Also, Karl Marx's statement is about class consciousness, not the existence of god.

MB
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in god, therefore I'm an atheist.

You either believe in god or you don't believe in god. One can't say 'I don't know if I believe in god or not'. You either do or you don't. You're either a theist/deist/pantheist/etc or an atheist. Agnosticism refers only to knowledge [one can be an agnostic theist], so I can admit my lack of knowledge, but still form a belief [or, more likely, believe something instinctively, since our beliefs are based on our senses].

One can say 'I don't know if god exists, but I still don't believe she does', and therefore one is an atheist, or, if you would prefer, an agnostic atheist, as I am.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unlike you I don't see a lot of evidence that suggests some form of deity exists. In fact I see no evidence that a deity exists, therefore it would be foolish for me to accept god into my world view when it can do perfectly well without a deity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a great society, what a great idea. My parents sent me to a Christian school and in a 3 weeks I LEAVE! I just have to get the GCSEs over first. Thank the lord <sarcasm, don't worry> Anyways,

SIGN ME UP!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where do i sign? I believe in Evolution, there is more proof to that than "God".

Also i dont mind religious people but i dont like it when they try to convert you...it is a choice whether or not to believe and i respect that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'l join! thanks for letting me know what i am! im open minded so theres not much i totally rule out but i dont believe. so put me in!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sup all, I'd like to join if I may
    Agnostic all the way...

I'm no religious expert, but I heard an arguement Godel-style about not being able to proove God's existance.
    Well proof of God denies faith, and God apparantly refuses to proove himself, which means if anyone ever found a proof for God's existance, it would therefore disproove his existance AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So basically if you proove his existance you disproove it and if you disproove it you disproove it - woops, then again this only screws over theologians

Cheers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Righto, sorry i've been away, exams and stuff. Anyway, i've added the last batch of people to join. Enjoy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are we goint to get an icon? If we do I might have to get ride of my left hander one to make space for the more serious socs... What sort of image would encapsulate the spirit (lol!) of this society? A big no-smoking-style red ring with a line through it and God in the middle?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How about the attached logo? :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should be inflammatory. Anyway, i've sent off a suggested logo to pig, just need to wait for him to set it all up now.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    'A' has put new socities on hold for a while until he installs VB 3.5.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That might be quite a while then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does this society concede the possibility of a non-theological god such as that suggested by Nick Bostrom's simulation argument?

Btw that the Christian God is a He and that man is supposedly made in His image to me constitutes proof of His redundancy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How is a non theological god a god? Hmm interesting question... I personally do not believe we are a simulation, but maybe that is just wishful thinking because i'm a Physicist.

I still maintain that the universe is a natural phenomena and hence I do not believe we are a simulation because that would not be a natural universe. Ultimately the same questions still apply to the universe in which the simulator exists, unless you believe in infinite regress of simulations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a simulated universe, there would be a creator with agency; ie. the designer of the simulation. And I'm not clever enough to think of a decent refutation of Bostrom's logic. Yeah when you say 'non-theological god', 'god' is just a handy metaphor, although it would have some of the properties of a Christian God or an Allah etc.
Updated: February 26, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.