The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Antiparticles

i'm a bit confused:

what is the antiparticle of a π+ meson? is it a π- meson? is there not a line above it, like you get for antineutrinos? and what are there charges?
ditto question to the K+ and - mesons and their antiparticles.

also, what is the antiparticle of a π0 meson? what is it's charge?
It is the π\pi^-, and there is no line above it. The π\pi^- and the π+\pi^+ particles are mesons, so are made up of a quark and anti-quark - how would we decide which was the particle and which was the antiparticle!?

The antiparticle of the π0\pi^0 is itself. I think the charges are multiples of the charge of an electron.
Reply 2
pi- minus is: down and anti-up quark
pi- plus is: u and anti-d quark
so anti particle of pi-minus is up and anti-down quark, which is the pi-plus. so pi+ and pi- are particle-antiparticle pairs.

for pi-0, the quark combination is (d,anti-d)/(u,anti-u)/(s,anti-s), so its impossible to distinguish from the particle and antiparticle.
Reply 3
Oh I see! Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 4
scott8anthony
It is the π\pi^-, and there is no line above it. The π\pi^- and the π+\pi^+ particles are mesons, so are made up of a quark and anti-quark - how would we decide which was the particle and which was the antiparticle!?

The antiparticle of the π0\pi^0 is itself. I think the charges are multiples of the charge of an electron.

I know very little about Quantum Chronodynamics, though i knew this. I really should read up some more... can anyone direct me to any good textbooks, or maybe some kind of on-line tutorial... i'd apprecate it :smile:

Latest