The Student Room Group

Is it typically the case that smart people have poor handwriting and vice versa?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
No. I have good handwriting and I'm intelligent.
It all depends on what the person is writing about.
If I was writing in Biology or Chemistry or English my handwriting is absolutely heavenly. When it is in French, my handwriting is cursed and a three year old has more of a chance. It depends on your love for it.
I don't think there's that much of a correlation really. At university all of my Maths professors were extremely smart - and some of them had poor handwriting, some of them had good handwriting. Nothing other than what you'd expect really.

My own handwriting can be absolutely awful, but then sometimes it can be extremely neat. It just depends on how much I care about presentation at the time.
i've been asked if i wanted to type my exams because it's been so bad at times...but i'm working on it. i'm predicted BBB, not great by TSR standards but good enough
Reply 84
My handwriting is quite neat, and I'm in the top sets for all my subjects. My friends are all in the same sets as me, so are equally clever, and some of them have amazingly neat handwriting, while others have quite messy handwriting! I think it depends on the person, and also the situation- if I'm doing something for a presentation, my handwriting will be as neat as possible, but if I'm writing something like an essay or several pages of work, it will start neat and then go horribly messy!
Most definitely. :cool:

But not really in actual fact.
Reply 86
My handwriting is perfectly legible (though not necessarily neat) to a fault - I always end up rushing my exams as I seem to write much slower then many others I know with terrible handwriting, so I'm planning to crappify my handwriting before Jan exams!
Although a lot of very intelligent people have poor writing which is often difficult to decipher, I know some really smart people who have beautiful writing too. I don't think handwriting has anything to do with intelligence, but what I have found is that people with lovely handwriting are often the more artistic, whilst those with poor handwriting are more scientific. It obviously varies from person to person though.
99th percentile IQ and my writing is horrendous unless I spend 2 minutes on each word... Even then it still doesn't look nice :/

I think intelligence + hand writing is more coincidence than anything
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
My handwriting is really messy and scruffy, but I'm not that smart. I have noticed that some smart people I know do have poor handwriting, but I think I am just an exception. Plus, there are smart people I know that have really neat writing... I think that handwriting doesn't depict how smart you are as a person
I don't know, I know smart people which is amazing and also awful.
Reply 91
Original post by Gummibaerchen
99th percentile IQ and my writing is horrendous unless I spend 2 minutes on each word... Even then it still doesn't look nice :/

I think intelligence + hand writing is more coincidence than anything

Your posting represents final proof that the theory is correct.
Attachment not found

I don't think my handwriting's too shabby...
Original post by iamthestig
Attachment not found

I don't think my handwriting's too shabby...

How long did that take you? :tongue:

My handwriting is nearly always legible (don't know about neat). It always starts off nicely and then I realize I cba to write so slowly and end up rushing to get everything down. I write really fast :/
Depends entirely what you mean by 'smart'.

I know smart intelligent people with wonderful handwriting and I know others that don't even appear to try and form letters.

I think it's probably more universally true that people at the lower end of the 'smart' spectrum have poor handwriting.

As a 'smart' person my handwriting can be anything from illegible even to myself to REALLY RATHER PRETTY. I think this has at least something to do with learning Arabic and Greek and and beginning to pay more attention to my writing generally.
Reply 95
The pen is becoming less useful. Now we type up our coursework, not write it (even in my English GCSE).

Even in subjects where you need pen and paper 95% of the time e.g. mathematics, you generally still see awful handwriting, probably because legible handwriting isn't the goal! we have to prove this, disprove that etc. However, my mathematical handwriting is very good and legible (no surprise), but my English handwriting is biggish and boogly (still readable, but by no means neat).

At the end of the day, if a person writes neat, they write neat. If not, not.
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
How long did that take you? :tongue:

My handwriting is nearly always legible (don't know about neat). It always starts off nicely and then I realize I cba to write so slowly and end up rushing to get everything down. I write really fast :/

About 5 minutes, its my RS revision haha
Original post by meenu89
Don't bump old threads.

i'm just stating evidence as to why I think a persons handwriting doesn't determine their intelligence. That link just provides more evidence than the ones I've already stated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
I am a great mathematician and I have terrible handwriting, while some people that aren't so great at math have perfect handwriting. Is this myth/story true?
Original post by totally_addictive
boy who are good at maths always seem to have bad handwriting

im terrible at maths

and my hand writing is atrocious

does that mean im smart?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending