The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster ..Be Honest!

I have put Lancaster as my Insurance but am now having second thoughts whether or not it should have been my first choice. The reason for such is I think the University is very good, and it's ranking in the league tables are excellent, but there was just something I wasn't sure about on the day, though I'm not sure what. I like:

The idea of campus, and a close knit community

The city itself is quite friendly and small

The Nightlife seems just fine with me; I'm not massively into clubbing etc anyway.

The Lecturers all seemed Helpul and Friendly

However,

It seemed very academically focused. Clearly, your at University - Your expected to work, but how much pressure is there? Does anyone feel over-worked? I want to balance it out.

Also, being on campus all the time, does it not feel like theres no escape from study etc because everytime you look out your window you can see Uni etc?

The Sports facilites didnt seem that great

Don't slaughter me for this, but everyone their seem quite well off and posh and I felt abit common around them! Is there a good mixture of students?

Many Thanks.
The Subject I applied for was Geography, but I was wanting to Take Business/Marketing as a Minor, and then possibly pursue Joint Honours later on.
SaintCaz#5
It seemed very academically focused. Clearly, your at University - Your expected to work, but how much pressure is there? Does anyone feel over-worked? I want to balance it out.

Just like any university, it is about how much you do. If you did every piece of recommended reading for seminars (on top of compulsory readings) you could probably fill up the majority of your time with work. However, especially in the first year, that really isn't necessary. It is about achieving the balance throughout, keeping on top of essential readings, attending lectures/seminars etc. Towards essay deadlines, people tend to spend more time working than for the rest of term but even that can be avoided by starting your essays in good time. :smile:
Seminar tutors and lecturers don't chase you up for work. It is expected and if you don't do it then you face the consequences. For example, in History we have "seminar worksheets" to prepare each week. You are expected to hand them in. If you don't or they are of a poor standard, you lose 10% off your module grade. But, that is a choice you have to make yourself (to lose the 10% or not).
Generally speaking, people definitely balance out the work and have a good time too. :biggrin:

SaintCaz#5
Also, being on campus all the time, does it not feel like theres no escape from study etc because everytime you look out your window you can see Uni etc?

I have had that problem. If I've been in on a Saturday night I often feel like I should be working. But, it can be overcome, especially if you plan your time properly. The university recommend a 40 hour working week (except when essays are due, I haven't known anyone this year who really does that but nevermind) so if you tell yourself you will work Monday to Friday, 9-5pm, like a normal job (for example) then you can avoid worrying about not working at other times. To be honest, I often thought of campus as a bit of a holiday camp, especially at weekends when the academic buildings are usually closed, which is both a good and a bad thing lol.

SaintCaz#5

I've not been in them. :o: My flatmate likes to go swimming though and whilst facilities are not great, you can still get some use/enjoyment out of them. When I started, they said they were building a new sports centre. However, I think that is on the back-burner now.

SaintCaz#5
Don't slaughter me for this, but everyone their seem quite well off and posh and I felt abit common around them! Is there a good mixture of students?

I have met some posh students and found quite a few of my friends to be "better off" than me. For the most part though, people are friendly and don't look down on others because of things like that. I've only had one "problem" with someone doing that and to be honest, it is more to do with her own insecurities than mine. And, there is definitely a mix of people although if you were staying in a studio or something, I imagine the majority would be well off lol. :smile:

Don't worry too much about whether you made the right decision. You must have preferred the other university to have firmed it and it is natural to have doubts. :biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks. That's a really great reply, and very helpful.
IWhen I visited the campus on a weekend it was almost dead, there was no one about, which seemed abit strange. Unless everyone was working very hard! (Though our tour guide person told us alot of people went home at the weekend..)

I firmed Liverpool, however since looking into my career more and options available to me, it seems it could be advantageous to study say Business/Management alongside Geography, which I could do at Lancaster considering the degree structure, but would be more difficult at Liverpool.

Do you live off campus now and prefer it?
It is a lovely place : )
Reply 3

At Lancaster, you are expected to work reasonably hard, and the work load, especially towards the end of each term can pile up. But I assume it’s the same as any university really. As long as you manage your time well (unlike myself) then you should be able to achieve a fine balance between work and play. As Affinity said, treat it like a job… Although it’s probably less depressing! To be honest, I don’t actually work to my fullest potential, which is why I work slightly less than what the university recommends. Alas, humans are lazy creatures, as long as you work to a satisfactory level (what you conceive as ‘enough&#8217:wink: you should do fine!

I can understand this. Campus can feel like a bubble. In my first year I was pretty much unaware of the goings on in the outside world. Unless I made a conscious effort to buy a newspaper or read the news online the rest of the population could have been wiped out and I wouldn’t know about it! Exaggerations aside, the campus does have its benefits. I think unlike inner city universities, living together in a close knit community can help to develop stronger bonds between students. I may have not developed many friendships in my first year, but I never felt alone. Also, in your second year, you may decide not live on campus; quite a lot of students rent LUSU or Yellow Door houses in town, which gives them greater proximity to the town centre. I’m currently renting a house with three other people. Financially, it’s not that bad. If you were to do this I’d definitely recommend purchasing a bus pass in your first two terms. I personally prefer the space houses give you, but I can’t speak for everyone. Some people adore the campus lifestyle.

I can’t really answer this one. The sports centre looks alright. I’m sure someone else can fill you in better than I can! :smile:

Hmm, I’ve not played badminton in a while…

I used to think this. Over time however I’ve learnt not to be intimidated by accents. Just because someone might, to me, have a fairly posh Southern accent doesn’t mean they are, actually, posh, or even more intelligent than you. I like Lancaster because of the absence of snobbery. I haven’t really encountered anyone comparing wealth or grades. There was one person who didn’t believe that I was from Manchester because I didn’t sound like someone from Shameless (albeit, my accent isn’t strong), which I actually found quite funny! You will find, that a lot of students are from the North West, I know a few from St. Helens myself.

Like most unis though, there’s a wide demographic. Some students come from working class backgrounds, others come from middle class families. As long as you treat everyone on a individual basis, you should be fine! That said, I am going to make a generalisation here, unlike some universities like Leeds, there are significant lack of RAHs in Lancaster! (Which for me, is more about attitude than simple wealth).
Reply 4
IWhen I visited the campus on a weekend it was almost dead, there was no one about, which seemed abit strange. Unless everyone was working very hard! (Though our tour guide person told us alot of people went home at the weekend..)

Ah, just seen your post now! Campus can be deathly quiet on weekends, largely because a lot of people go home. It may have also been because it's exam season, and people only leave their rooms for the precious nourishment.

And personally, I prefer living off campus. Lancaster is a lovely city to live in, although their rubbish and recycling system could do with an overhaul /rant.

Hope you're happy wherever you go :smile:
Right.... Academic focus... I've always thought that the end of term is the time when everyone starts to work... suddenly everyone disappears and reappears a week later with a bunch of completed essays... I'd imagine life at any uni would be the same, but hey, having only been to one, I don't know. I always think the workload for other subjects sounds like a lot, and they think the same of mine, so really, it's just what you are interested in, I guess.

Being on campus doesn't bother me at all, I was a boarding school student, so I'm used to it, I guess... and it's so easy to just get on a bus or walk into town or whatever. I like the campus... you can get to the library when you need to without planning ahead, and can roll out of bed ten minutes before a lecture and still be there on time, properly dressed!

Sports facilities, can't really comment, I have sporty friends but I avoid it like the plague... if you are going to use it a lot, like nearly every day, you definitely want the full gym membership, which is for everything, the pool and stuff included.

Posh people... well, as I said, I was at a boarding school, but I am reliably informed that I am not posh (people always take a while to believe me, for some reason). I only know three other boarding school students here, and funnily, three of the four of us all lived in the grotty cheap accommodation! I've found that people at Lancaster frankly don't care where you are from... as long as you are a nice person, it doesn't matter. There are a few 'posh' voices around, but generally the people they belong to don't really care, and there's not much of a clique-y atmosphere.
Reply 6
Ooh, all this is making me want to go to Lancaster now.
I'm so useless with Decisions it's unreal.
It's all very helpful though guys, I really do appreciate it.
SaintCaz#5
Ooh, all this is making me want to go to Lancaster now.
I'm so useless with Decisions it's unreal.
It's all very helpful though guys, I really do appreciate it.

Having an insurance that you are more than happy to go to is never a bad thing. I loved my insurance choice (Hull) and had the same sorts of doubts as to whether I should have firmed it. It just meant that come results day, I didn't mind which university I ended up at.

I found it quite hard to settle into Lancaster tbh. I have a few friends who've had similar problems. But, as time has gone on, we've found our place and met like-minded people, which always helps to make it more enjoyable. What I am trying to say is that no where is perfect - not Lancaster, nor Liverpool. But, whichever university you go to in September, I am sure you will find something to make your time there rewarding and fun. :smile:
Reply 8
SaintCaz#5
[*]It seemed very academically focused. Clearly, your at University - Your expected to work, but how much pressure is there? Does anyone feel over-worked? I want to balance it out.

One or two people I know are proper into their work and are constantly doing loads of work. On the flipside, I barely go to anything, do essays the night before (got one due in at noon tomorrow that I'll probably start in a few hours) and don't bother with seminar readings or owt. I'm doing alright though, I think I'm averaging a mid-high 2:1 at the moment. That said, I'm in the first year so I'll probably have more work to do next year. Deffo not over-worked, though.

SaintCaz#5
[*]Also, being on campus all the time, does it not feel like theres no escape from study etc because everytime you look out your window you can see Uni etc?

I usually only go off campus if it's a night out or I'm going to the cinema or something. I can see how people could probably feel like there's no escape from study and that, but personally I feel really at home and treat the place more as a place for me to relax rather than feeling pressured to study all the time.

SaintCaz#5
[*]Don't slaughter me for this, but everyone their seem quite well off and posh and I felt abit common around them! Is there a good mixture of students?

Not really had any problems with this really. I'm from a working class background and not had any worries really, I'd deffo say there's a decent mixture. You get your ******* but you get your fair share of sound people too, so it's alright.

I wouldn't say so, apart from in the week up to deadlines and exams. Otherwise, people are pretty relaxed!

Nope, and if you don't want to stay on campus it's only for the first year - then you can move into town.

They're not brilliant. We were supposed to get new ones but I think they've been postponed. I only use them for sports clubs though so I can't really comment.

Most people are normal! Obviously you get some weirdos like everywhere, but in general everyone's quite nice - I would definitely not call myself posh.
Reply 10
SaintCaz#5
However,

1. It depends entirely on your department. I can only speak for Law but yes they push you hard and yes everyone feels overworked. But thats the point.
2. Not really, its a big campus, lots to do, people to see etc. If you get claustrophobic you can always go to town or walk down to the duckpond. :p:
3. The current sports facilities are fine (pool, smallish gym, rockclimbing etc) but they are currently in the process of building another sports centre down at the bottom of the grounds. If I understand correctly this will be the place for "wet" sports such as a brand new pool, whereas the old sports centre will be kept as a dry sports centre.
4. I'm from a quite a working class area myself, and certainly don't consider myself posh. It really depends, yes there are more posh people in Cartmel/Lonsdale due to the higher-priced ensuite; but most colleges have a good mix.
Reply 11
RJ555
1. It depends entirely on your department. I can only speak for Law but yes they push you hard and yes everyone feels overworked. But thats the point.
2. Not really, its a big campus, lots to do, people to see etc. If you get claustrophobic you can always go to town or walk down to the duckpond. :p:

How much work would you say you did on a weekly basis?
Would I have time for a part time job OK too?
Speaking of which, are they hard to come by in Lancaster?

As for the duckpond, wow, Im impressed!! Lol.
Finally, where the hell is a supermarket? Because I saw a tiny shop on campus, which wasnt all that cheap, so does everyone have to go into town every time they need to do a shop?

Muchas Grazias : )
SaintCaz#5
Finally, where the hell is a supermarket? Because I saw a tiny shop on campus, which wasnt all that cheap, so does everyone have to go into town every time they need to do a shop?

You'd be surprised by how many people don't leave campus (except for nights out). I know quite a few who rely on the cafes/take away places plus Spar and Central for all their food. But, I'd say the majority do go into town. On Wednesday's, Sainsbury's run a free bus to their store (which is right next to the bus station in Lancaster). There is also a Somerfield next to the bus station and a Farm Foods just beyond Sainsbury's. Wednesday and Saturday are market days so it is good to do your shopping then - the market is great with stalls selling everything from fruit and vegetables, bread and cakes to Mediterranean chilli-covered olives. In Lancaster city centre you will also find various butchers and greengrocers and there is a Cool Trader (along with various food stalls) in the indoor market hall.

If you go further afield, there is an Asda and a Morrisons on the way to/in Morecombe. Quite a few people order their shopping from Asda online and have it delivered - it is definitely worth it if you shop every few weeks (and hence spend £25) or order collectively with friends/flatmates. The Asda delivery vans are always on campus lol. :smile:

So, basically, there is quite a lot of choice for food shopping lol. :smile:
Reply 13
SaintCaz#5

Part time jobs are pretty hard to get on campus, but theres usually places in town.

Just to add on to what affinity said. There are two small supermarkets on campus, Spar and Central (Co-op). They are a little bit pricy on some things but good enough if you just need a couple of ingredients/washing up liquid. Theres plenty of takeaways/restaurants and cafes on campus though if you ever need a quick meal.

In town the main supermarket is a large Sainsburys (with a free bus every Wednesday). Theres also a small Somerfield, an asian supermarket and a bi-weekly market. In Morecambe theres a Morrisons and ASDA (its expensive to travel there but you can do internet shopping from ASDA for quite cheap).
Reply 14
Pretty much everyone I live with (including myself) just get stuff from Spar/Central. Never really bother with a big shop or owt, just go there every day or so and pick some meat and bread up or something.

My mates have got stuff off Asda a few times which seems decent enough, but I never really bother (although I got some stuff when a mate ordered the other day and it's probs a better alternative).
Reply 15
SaintCaz#5

Sorry, forgot to answer the work question!

As a first year Law student you have 9-10 hours contact time a week (lectures, seminars etc), and the department "expect" us to be doing a total of 40hours work, so 30 hours private study.

I'm very lazy so I usually do more like 15-25 hours private study, but its still quite a lot for a first year I think. You end up doing alot more when you have essays/exams; must have done a 40 hour library week for my last essay!

Depends on your course though! Some courses seem pretty laid back in comparison (i'm envious). :yes:
Reply 16

everytime i look out of my window i have the hills and moors as a view, i walk out of my house and there are rabbits and ducks on the grass square - doesnt get much better!! lonsdale woop!!

Sports facilities are ok, fitness room is good, weights rooms is functional, lots of space for badminton/archery whatever, about 4 squash courts i think, decent swimming pool, outdoor courts for all sorts and a few pictches for football and rugby

ok fair enough some people seem posh, they can be avoided by staying away from cartmel and grizdale - haha joking but you would get that at any uni, just be happy your not going oxford/cambridge :P

Latest

Trending

Trending