The Student Room Group

French -- how do you pronounce "el" at the end of word?

I know this sounds a really basic question, but when my teacher says the word "essentiel" it sounds different to the word "essentielle". How is "el" pronounced differently to "elle"? Sometimes the "e" in "el" seems to make more of an A sound when my teacher says it, but it's not very obvious. She's a native French speaker.
Can anyone tell me whether there's a difference or whether I'm imagining it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say the "elle" is a tad longer (like in "hello") than the the "el" (like in "essential"). It's isn't a major problem though, as when you speak quickly you really don't pick up on things like that.
Reply 2
It's pronounced exactly the same as "elle" at the end of a word. Phonetically, /ɛl/.

Proof: Wiktionary
Masculin: essentiel /e.sɑ̃.sjɛl/ ou /ɛ.sɑ̃.sjɛl/
Féminin: essentielle /e.sɑ̃.sjɛl/ ou /ɛ.sɑ̃.sjɛl/
Reply 3
nuodai
It's pronounced exactly the same as "elle" at the end of a word. Phonetically, /ɛl/.

Proof: Wiktionary

I make a difference between the two when I pronounce them. Same when I say "grammaire". But then, I like my French to be as accurate as possible.
Reply 4
Anatheme
I make a difference between the two when I pronounce them. Same when I say "grammaire". But then, I like my French to be as accurate as possible.

I'm fairly sure there's no difference. I'm assuming you're a native speaker, but it's fairly common to imagine differences in word pronunciations... I managed to convince my friend that the "like" in "I like cheese" is pronounced subtly differently to the "like" in "it looks like a cow".

Some Southern French dialects might add a vowel onto the end of "essentielle", but it's by no means standard. I've just checked my French dictionary and a quick scurry around the internet has confirmed that "-el" and "-elle" are pronounced exactly the same as standard... one isn't longer than the other.

Your post about the "elle" being pronounced longer like in "hello"... what? The L in hello isn't longer than the L in halo, for example; they're exactly the same consonant.
Reply 5
nuodai
I'm fairly sure there's no difference. I'm assuming you're a native speaker, but it's fairly common to imagine differences in word pronunciations... I managed to convince my friend that the "like" in "I like cheese" is pronounced subtly differently to the "like" in "it looks like a cow".

Some Southern French dialects might add a vowel onto the end of "essentielle", but it's by no means standard. I've just checked my French dictionary and a quick scurry around the internet has confirmed that "-el" and "-elle" are pronounced exactly the same as standard... one isn't longer than the other.

Your post about the "elle" being pronounced longer like in "hello"... what? The L in hello isn't longer than the L in halo, for example; they're exactly the same consonant.

I'm not from the south of France and I'm probably deaf or my friends can't speak English, as the "ll" in "hello" in considerably longer than in a single l-ed word :holmes:.
When my french teacher says the words that end in 'el' and 'elle', the only real difference I notice is that 'el' is a bit more abrupt. Not really a different sound. Ever been on this site:

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

I don't know how accurate it is or if some characters will be different to others, but our teacher (who is a native french speaker) has stronly urged us to practice from this :smile: Worth a try??
Reply 7
shorty.loves.angels
When my french teacher says the words that end in 'el' and 'elle', the only real difference I notice is that 'el' is a bit more abrupt. Not really a different sound. Ever been on this site:

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

I don't know how accurate it is or if some characters will be different to others, but our teacher (who is a native french speaker) has stronly urged us to practice from this :smile: Worth a try??

Well, I make a difference and most of my friends do, except when we speak too fast. But I would definitely say there is a difference between the two, despite what Wikipedia says. It's very light, and not very noticeable, but it exists.
Anatheme
Well, I make a difference and most of my friends do, except when we speak too fast. But I would definitely say there is a difference between the two, despite what Wikipedia says. It's very light, and not very noticeable, but it exists.

I think I would agree. Our teacher always tries to make us over exaggerate these little differences just so that they don't go unnoticed because they really aren't very obvious. Plus most people in my class can barely sound french let alone perfect the pronunciation...
Reply 9
Anatheme
I'm not from the south of France and I'm probably deaf or my friends can't speak English, as the "ll" in "hello" in considerably longer than in a single l-ed word :holmes:.

There is definitely no difference... in English halo/hello or French essentiel/essentielle. I can almost guarantee that the "subtle differences" are imagined, or only put there in speech when actually consciously considering the spelling. I challenge you to try and find a linguist's account of a phonemic difference between the two (because if there is one, a lot of books on French phonology will have to be rewritten).
Reply 10
nuodai
There is definitely no difference... in English halo/hello or French essentiel/essentielle. I can almost guarantee that the "subtle differences" are imagined, or only put there in speech when actually consciously considering the spelling. I challenge you to try and find a linguist's account of a phonemic difference between the two (because if there is one, a lot of books on French phonology will have to be rewritten).

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of my inability to speak my mother tongue. I'll listen to you from now on, dear God of French Language. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Anatheme
Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of my inability to speak my mother tongue. I'll listen to you from now on, dear God of French Language. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to accuse you of not being able to speak French! I'm saying that you probably don't actually distinguish -el/-elle in real life, unless you're thinking beforehand "do I distinguish these?", in which case you'll quite probably imagine that you are, and pronounce them as such.

To further back my case, the suffix -el/-elle is derived from the Latin suffixes -ālis/-āle neither of which had long consonants in Latin, and so don't in French (since French is a direct derivative of Latin). The difference is (now) purely orthographical, so any phonemic differences have either (a) arisen over the last few hundred years as a result of the orthography (unlikely, since French orthography didn't used to be standardised), or (b) don't actually exist.

Either way, the entire point of what I'm doing is to try and break down misconceptions about phonology, which spread in exactly this way... but I'm just offending people, so I'm stopping now.
Reply 12
nuodai
It's not about being able to speak your mother tongue, it's about being able to analyse pronunciation... yargh you know what, I give up.

Yeah, well between what books say and what people talk like, I found there's quite a gap. There is a difference between the two words, no matter what books say. It's like when English citiy names like "Worcester", "Leicester", "Warwick" or "Norwich" are pronounced and half of the letters are dropped, or when the conditional is supposed to be "If I were" but that everyone say "If I was". Books are good for grammar, granted. They won't teach you pronounciation, unlike people speaking the language.
nuodai

To further back my case, the suffix -el/-elle is derived from the Latin suffixes -ālis/-āle neither of which had long consonants in Latin, and so don't in French (since French is a direct derivative of Latin). The difference is (now) purely orthographical, so any phonemic differences have either (a) arisen over the last few hundred years as a result of the orthography (unlikely, since French orthography didn't used to be standardised), or (b) don't actually exist.

Halo isn't really a very good example of comparing it, as it doesn't have the 'el' sound, it's 'hay' and 'low'. But if you compare 'celery', for example, to 'yellow' (both with the 'el' sound in them) then I think there could be a subtle difference. However, I agree that it could be a lot due to the spelling that this occurs and probably isn't actually 'meant' to be there.
Reply 14
shorty.loves.angels
Halo isn't really a very good example of comparing it, as it doesn't have the 'el' sound, it's 'hay' and 'low'. But if you compare 'celery', for example, to 'yellow' (both with the 'el' sound in them) then I think there could be a subtle difference. However, I agree that it could be a lot due to the spelling that this occurs and probably isn't actually 'meant' to be there.

You think that because you're looking for the differences. If you're looking for differences in pronunciations between words, and then you say the words, your subsequent pronunciation is automatically biased because you're looking for the differences. If you said the two in a normal conversation, took a recording and looked at the sound waves for the two L sounds, they'd be almost identical (with perhaps a slight discrepancy in that the vowel after the L in both words is different). It's not a case of it being "meant" to be there or not -- it's just not there! It's exactly the same thing with this whole argument that seems to have spurted out of nowhere about the French words.

I don't know why I actually care so much :p:
The difference is hanging on the 'l' when it's double for an almost imperceptibly longer moment.

But youre not comparing like with like. An 'l' at the end of the word will sound different to one in the middle of a word.

Paler - Paller
Pal - Pall

Same in English too.
nuodai
You think that because you're looking for the differences. If you're looking for differences in pronunciations between words, and then you say the words, your subsequent pronunciation is automatically biased because you're looking for the differences. If you said the two in a normal conversation, took a recording and looked at the sound waves for the two L sounds, they'd be almost identical (with perhaps a slight discrepancy in that the vowel after the L in both words is different). It's not a case of it being "meant" to be there or not -- it's just not there! It's exactly the same thing with this whole argument that seems to have spurted out of nowhere about the French words.

Ok i tested it (sort of :p: )

I just and said each word over and over again until I was saying it absolutely naturally (not looking for differences) and even took off the beginning letter of eah word so thsat I knew that wasn't causing a differences, and what I realised is that my mouth is even a different shape for each 'el' in those words. There probably isn't supposed to be a difference between the pronunciatins but I'm 99% sure that when I say these words (when I'm not looking for a difference) I pronounce each slighty different, and I think it's because I am aware of the different spellings that I do this, whether or not the spelling are meant to be pronounced differently.
Reply 17
Thanks for all your help guys, I'm surprised by the amount of debate this has created! I'll say it pretty much the same then since that seems to be the general consensus :P My teacher is from the south of France so perhaps that accounts for the slight discrepancy I noticed. Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
nuodai

I am not quoting because of you post. I am just amazed at how many posts youve made?! how did you manage that?!! xx
Reply 19
joseph1991
I am not quoting because of you post. I am just amazed at how many posts youve made?! how did you manage that?!! xx

Well I've been here for around 485 days, which works out at roughly 40,000,000 seconds, so... all it's taken is for me to make 18 posts per second without a break. Tough work being me isn't it!

Latest

Trending

Trending