The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

What is the NHS bursary?
A bursary is a form of student financial support, which may be awarded after any applicableassessment, to help you with your day-to-day living costs you incur whilst you are studying. You will receive the total amount awarded, as bursaries are not subject to Income Tax deductions orNational Insurance contributions.

Students receive a bursary each year of their training, normally paid in monthly instalments.
In addition to the standard bursary, other allowances are available including:

Additional Weeks

Dependants

Childcare

Parents Learning Allowance

Disabled Students

Practice Placement Costs

In addition, the NHS will meet the standard tuition fee contribution of £1,255.00 on your behalf. This will be done automatically if you are personally eligible and you take up your place on a NHS-funded
course. You do not need to apply for this.

The NHS bursary; here is a run down of the courses which are eligable for it in some way or another

The ones in RED are those which can recieve a non-income asessed NHS bursary. The ones in Green are eligable for an Income asessed bursary

AUDIOLOGY (BSC / PG DIP / MSC)

CHIROPODY (BSC)

CLINICAL MEDICINE (BM B.CH (OXON))

DENTAL HYGIENE (PG DIP / BSC)

DENTAL SURGERY (BDS)

DENTAL THERAPY (PG DIP)

DIETETICS (BSC / PG DIP / MSC)

HEALTH PROFESSIONAL (BSC / PG DIP)

MEDICAL (MBCHB / MBBS / BSC)

MEDICAL INTERCALATION (BSc / MSc)

MEDICINE (M.B.B.CHIR / MBCHB / MBBS)

MIDWIFERY (BA / BHSC / BMID / BSC)

MIDWIFERY (DipHe - existing students only)

NURSING (BA / BN / BSC / MN / MSC)

NURSING (DipHe)

OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY (BSC / PG DIP / MSC / BHSC)

ORTHOPTICS (BSC / B.MED.SC(HONS) / MSC
)

OPERATING DEPARTMENT PRATICE (DipHe)

PHYSIOTHERAPY (BSC / MSC / PG DIP)

PODIATRY (BSC)

PROSTHETICS / ORTHOTICS (BSC)

RADIOGRAPHY (BSC / MSC)

RADIOTHERAPY (BSC / PG DIP)

SPEECH & LANGUAGE THERAPY (BSC / MSC / B.MED.SC / MMED.SCI)

Non Income asessed bursarys

This will be the only money you will recieve for the course for 2008/2009 it is:
London £7,629.00

Elsewhere £6,531.00

Parent's Home £6,531.00

This will be made monthly into your bank account on the third friday of every month.

Your first payment will be a double payment and will cover the first and second month of your course- so be careful and budget appropiately.

New DipHE students will also be eligible for an initial expenses payment, which is a one-off payment of £55, made at the start of your course.

The non-income-assessed bursary provides a flat rate basic maintenance grant. No contribution is required from your income or that of your family for the basic award.

Once recieved an Offer you will be sent a letter from NHSBSA (the student bursary people) with your unique student reference number, you CANNOT apply without it. Once you've recieved it download and complete this form.

If it comes to 6 weeks before you start your course, ring up NHS bursarys on: 0845 358 6655

You should recieve this 1 week before your course starts- if this happens in reality is another question!

Income Asessed Bursary
This means that, where appropriate, your income and that of your parents, your spouse, partner or civil partner, may be taken into account, and the amount of maintenance grant will be reduced in proportion to that income, net of allowable deductions.

Various sources of income - including, for example, your casual earnings while you are a full-time student - are ignored in whole or in part.

Contributions by parents, spouses, partners or civil partners are calculated on the level of their residualincome (normally in the tax year before the start of the academic year) following tax-deductible allowances.

The following table shows typical basic bursary rates for degree level students, based on course duration of 30 weeks:

Basic Bursary Rates 2008/09

In London and you will be
living in student/rented
accommodation or your own
home: £3,306.00

Elsewhere in the UK and
you will be living in student
accommodation or your own
home: £2,739.00

Anywhere in the UK
(including London) and you
will be living with your
parents in their home: £2,287.00

Most health professional students have longer academic years than other students. You can get an allowance for each extra week above a set limit that you attend the course in the academic year if your course will last longer than 30 weeks and 3 days (not including university vacationperiods and this does not apply to non-income asessed students). The weekly amounts applicable for the 2008/09 academic year are as follows:

London rate: £103.00
Elsewhere rate: £80.00
Parental home rate: £53.00

You will also be allowed to apply for a student loan; You may be entitled to a student loan to provide an additional source of income while you study.
You should contact your Local Authority (LA), for information on the type of funding that may be available to you before the course starts.

If you are entitled to a loan, your LA will tell the Student Loans Company the maximum amount to which you are entitled. You can then decide how much
Your LA or the Student Loans Company will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Usually this is the minimum allowance of the maintenance loan- and will be paid back.

FAQ

I'm a registered practitioner and want to do a post-grad course, can I apply? No.

I'm a seconded student can i apply for extra help? No

I've only been in the Uk for a year, can i apply? You need to be a resident for at least 3 years to be eligable; however there are exceptions such as refugee status, EEA national,

I'm from the channel islands and isle of man, am i eligable? Not normally, however the NHSBSA has advised to take up an NHS comissioned training place (google!) and contact your educational institution

When can I apply? You can start applying once you've been offered an unconditional/conditional place. Your university will shortly afterwards advise you on applying.

I'm starting in January, what will happen to my money? If you commence a course which starts in either the winter, spring or summer terms (i.e. at any time between the moths of January to July), you will receive a pro rata amount to the end of the standard academic year (that is to 31.08.09).

I'm a current student and there has been a change of circumstances, who do i contact? You must inform student bursaries ASAP In writing.

I've dropped out, will i have to pay this bursary back? No as long as you inform them asap. If you tell them a while later you may need to pay back what is owed.

Will they pay my placement expenses? Yes!
For most healthcare students, part of their course will include practice placements, which willinvolve training in hospitals or community health services rather than in a classroom. The cost of journeys between your term-time residence and a practice placement site, which is not part of your college, can be reimbursed where appropriate providing the cost is in excess
of your normal daily travel costs from your term-time residence to your college.

You can claim costs within the UK for travel to and from your placement site involving:

Public transport (including carriage of luggage and bicycles);

Essential use of your own motor vehicle (including official passengers who must be named NHS Bursary holders);

Use of your own bicycle, and;

Car parking, tolls and ferries

Requirements are you should use the cheapest form or transport available for your journeys, taking full advantage of any free and concessionary schemes.

If you choose to use your own vehicle, you should claim public transport fares if these are lower. If public transport is unavailable or unsuitable for
placement travel, you may use your own motor vehicle. In either case you must get authority, in advance of your placement, from your college to do so. You will also need to get confirmation from your insurers that you have adequate cover for all costs and claims and that no liability is placed on your university or any NHS body, and notify your university accordingly.

- Ok I have missed a fair bit out, ie childcare, dependants allowance etc- however if anyone has any questions about them I am and others are happy to help! I've tried to get the relevant points down!

Hope this helps!!!

*BEST GUIDE EVER* http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students2008-09Book_2_NewScheme_opt.pdf - MOST of my info was from here- has everything you need to know!!!

PLEASE also remember this info has been taken from 08/09- and may change in subsequent years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
P.S if any medics wish to write about the finance they get for NHS etc in the later years- feel free :smile:
"The ones in RED are those which can recieve a non-income asessed NHS bursary. The ones in Green are eligable for a Non-Income asessed bursary"

Isn't that the same thing? :confused:
Reply 3
Bubbles*de*Milo
"The ones in RED are those which can recieve a non-income asessed NHS bursary. The ones in Green are eligable for a Non-Income asessed bursary"

Isn't that the same thing? :confused:

oops my bad! THANKS x
Reply 4
I'm at a loss when it comes to the bursary. I'm still counted as a dependent student, so need to include my parents financial info. However, it asks for info from Apr 08-09, my parents are self employed and their financial year runs from July to August, meaning they dont yet have the figures for that period, and wont do until Septmeber. Therefore can only provide estimates (with little evidence other than an accountance letter).
Basically im up the creek without a paddle.
Reply 5
Laura_Dora
I'm at a loss when it comes to the bursary. I'm still counted as a dependent student, so need to include my parents financial info. However, it asks for info from Apr 08-09, my parents are self employed and their financial year runs from July to August, meaning they dont yet have the figures for that period, and wont do until Septmeber. Therefore can only provide estimates (with little evidence other than an accountance letter).
Basically im up the creek without a paddle.

what course are you applying for? Sig says you're doing psychology

:s-smilie:

Im afraid estimates is all that they need, as awkward as it is!
Reply 6
Subcutaneous
what course are you applying for? Sig says you're doing psychology

:s-smilie:

Im afraid estimates is all that they need, as awkward as it is!

Really? How are you meant to provide evidence for estimates?
And ive got onto Mental Health Nursing. I did Psychology this year :smile:
Reply 7
Subcutaneous
P.S if any medics wish to write about the finance they get for NHS etc in the later years- feel free :smile:

Sheesh I think we need one of these threads too! I'm a dental student and we still have no info about our NHS bursaries for next year! I don't know which forms to fill out either because the 09/10 one online keeps talking about new degrees and I started mine in 2005!

Must remember to give them a ring tomorrow!
I'm married (well, civil-partnered) to a British citizen and arrived in the UK in August of 2008. Because I am the spouse of a settled citizen, I'm entitled to apply for permanent residency after two years of having been in the country, i.e. August 2010. This would also make me eligible for home student fee status. However, I notice that the NHS bursaries only mention having "lived in the country for the past three years" as a requirement for funding. Do you think I would be eligible for this funding - I'm thinking about going into radiography - in 2010 once I become reclassified as a home student, or will I have to wait until 2011 to fulfil the "three years" requirement? And if so, wouldn't this also disqualify anyone who happened to take a gap year before entering full-time study?? :confused:
Reply 9
you would be eligable after living in the country for 3 years...nhs bursarys are a bit diffrerent to student loans, and if anyoe lives away for a year it won't affect their status as a british citizen
No, doing a gap year wouldn't affect your status as a British citizen...but by the same token, the fact that I only arrived in the UK in 2008 wouldn't affect my status as a permanent resident, once I became eligible for it, either. So, I guess what I'm asking is, if someone can receive an NHS bursary after having done a gap year, shouldn't I then also be able to receive one, based on my residency status?
BadlyDrawnGirl
No, doing a gap year wouldn't affect your status as a British citizen...but by the same token, the fact that I only arrived in the UK in 2008 wouldn't affect my status as a permanent resident, once I became eligible for it, either. So, I guess what I'm asking is, if someone can receive an NHS bursary after having done a gap year, shouldn't I then also be able to receive one, based on my residency status?

The nhs bursary is living in the uk for 3 years, no ifs no buts..you can go on holiday but i think if you want to apply for a permit at that country for example a work etc they may ask you to wait to make it up. However if a british citizen ie someone has lived in the uk goes on a gap year they'll be ok, its how its worked for my friends
Subcutaneous
The nhs bursary is living in the uk for 3 years, no ifs no buts..you can go on holiday but i think if you want to apply for a permit at that country for example a work etc they may ask you to wait to make it up. However if a british citizen ie someone has lived in the uk goes on a gap year they'll be ok, its how its worked for my friends

But that doesn't really make any sense... :confused: Sorry, don't mean to be difficult, I just am not getting something here! When I think of a gap year, I assume that most people go on working holidays in another country or something like that. Wouldn't that then count against your three year residency total?

I suppose if I really didn't want to wait (and I don't, really!), I could get alternate funding for my first year and then have the NHS kick in for the last two years?...

ETA: Sorry, I just read the bursaries website and caught this line: "You are not treated as living abroad if you are a student taking a gap year."

Boo. I really don't have to wait TWO YEARS to do this degre...!
BadlyDrawnGirl
But that doesn't really make any sense... :confused: Sorry, don't mean to be difficult, I just am not getting something here! When I think of a gap year, I assume that most people go on working holidays in another country or something like that. Wouldn't that then count against your three year residency total?

I suppose if I really didn't want to wait (and I don't, really!), I could get alternate funding for my first year and then have the NHS kick in for the last two years?...

I dont think you can do the latter.

a year in another country doesn't make you another permanent resident of that one, just a tempory permit

if you're wanting to be a permanent resident of the UK, i think applying for permits elsewhere may be questioned whilst you're living here
Subcutaneous
I dont think you can do the latter.

a year in another country doesn't make you another permanent resident of that one, just a tempory permit

if you're wanting to be a permanent resident of the UK, i think applying for permits elsewhere may be questioned whilst you're living here

Sorry? I didn't say I was applying for a permit elsewhere... :confused:
BadlyDrawnGirl
Sorry? I didn't say I was applying for a permit elsewhere... :confused:

hypothetically

why don't you just call up NHS bursaries?!
Subcutaneous
hypothetically

why don't you just call up NHS bursaries?!

If you are unsure about whether you qualifity or meet the eligability critiera or have any other questions you would be better phoning the NHS student bursay people up to ask them as Subcutaneous has righty pointed out.There are really friendly people and i am sure that they could answer any questions that you had and put your mind at rest.:yep:
I'm in France at the moment (spending a whole summer doing freelance web design, which is why I'm on TSR, lol) so when I tried to ring them my phone went a bit dodgy...guess it's not set up for international calling, haha. I did send them an email, but I have a feeling they're going to say the same thing Subcutaneous said.

So, in the event that I do have to wait the extra year, I've decided I'm just going to do the Foundation Programme for Health Professionals, which I should get regular Student Finance England or school-specific bursary support for. One, it'll satisfy my rather persistent itch to get back into full-time study :wink: and two, it'll give me a rock-solid grounding in some of the science-y/maths-y areas I didn't do during my first degree course. Plus, the UWE programme guarantees you a spot on the degree course if you successfully complete the foundation year.

So, all good for me! Thanks for the advice!
if u get a busuary from the nhs does this have to be paid back? and i no they pay ur tution fees do you pay that back
no the nhs bursary is non-repayable

and yes, tuition fees are also non-repayable...they pay them for you, you live happily knowing you don't have that debt

and this is in the wrong area

Quick Reply

Latest