The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rachael-69
if u get a busuary from the nhs does this have to be paid back? and i no they pay ur tution fees do you pay that back

No the bursary doesnt have to be paid back, nor do the tuition fees. :smile:
i wernt really sure where to post so i just put it in general thats quite good then if i can budget to da 578 quid a month n gt part time job if i really really need to then ill be leaving uni debt free
rachael-69
i wernt really sure where to post so i just put it in general thats quite good then if i can budget to da 578 quid a month n gt part time job if i really really need to then ill be leaving uni debt free

if you're going to get a job try for an agency when you can work as and when you want as its very hard, if not impossible to have a part time job with fixed days/hours when you're expected to work placement hours, and if you get put on a ward where they're funny about you changing hours you're screwed, plus there ARE going to be time when you're going to need your free time to get work done

oh and there is a 'healthcare and nursing forum' with an NHS bursary sticky thread already with information about the NHS bursary AND a place to ask questions, may be useful to explore that area of the forum
theres a supermarket by me that onli realli emply students its more you ring them the day before and see if they need anyone theres no set rota
Reply 24
ARGH, how **** are NHS bursaries?!?
I accepted my unconditional offer on a MSc back in April, sent my forms off by the deadline in May and still haven't heard anything back yet!!
Have sent them a couple of emails, the last one said that they had processed my application and would receive my notification letter within 2 weeks, and that was 6 weeks ago! Have tried ringing them but can never get through within my breaks at work.
My course starts in a month, and if I get no money from the NHS I will have to sort out bank loans etc which will take time.
Anyone else having/ have had problems with NHS bursaries like this????
Reply 25
When do you actually get your bursary, within the first mont, or before you start ? Or does it come termly ?
I haven't got all my dad's finance stuff back from student loans yet, and therefore have yet to apply for my bursary :eek: what to doooo?
djk_99
ARGH, how **** are NHS bursaries?!?
I accepted my unconditional offer on a MSc back in April, sent my forms off by the deadline in May and still haven't heard anything back yet!!
Have sent them a couple of emails, the last one said that they had processed my application and would receive my notification letter within 2 weeks, and that was 6 weeks ago! Have tried ringing them but can never get through within my breaks at work.
My course starts in a month, and if I get no money from the NHS I will have to sort out bank loans etc which will take time.
Anyone else having/ have had problems with NHS bursaries like this????

Very ****!!!

Have you tried calling your institution? best thing i can suggest is keep calling and bothering them? Most people in my year when they started got their bursary 2 months after starting, which is tough as many had to live in the o/d!
MadgeMania
When do you actually get your bursary, within the first mont, or before you start ? Or does it come termly ?

It's the 3rd friday of every month, your first lot will be 2 months worth
melting_snow
I haven't got all my dad's finance stuff back from student loans yet, and therefore have yet to apply for my bursary :eek: what to doooo?

atleast you'll have a student loan! Just wait for it to come back, and make sure nhs bursary know why its taking a while!
Reply 30
Cup of Inspiration
Very ****!!!

Have you tried calling your institution? best thing i can suggest is keep calling and bothering them? Most people in my year when they started got their bursary 2 months after starting, which is tough as many had to live in the o/d!

Haven't tried calling Essex... I just assumed they would direct me back to NHS Bursaries! Got through today, but their systems were down so they're going to call me back. Which I assume will be whilst I'm at work. Grrr.

I don't mind too much getting my bursary late, I just want to make sure that I'm actually getting one!
djk_99
Haven't tried calling Essex... I just assumed they would direct me back to NHS Bursaries! Got through today, but their systems were down so they're going to call me back. Which I assume will be whilst I'm at work. Grrr.

I don't mind too much getting my bursary late, I just want to make sure that I'm actually getting one!

well, ringing essex will be to make sure they've sent information onto NHS bursaries, so the company can actually process your application.

It does take a while once it comes through you dont need to worry about it again!
Ive got a place hrough cleaing for physio, and the course I orignally applied for didnt have NHS funding or anything like that.. do the NHS pay my tution fees as well as a means tested bursary, or is it all means tested? and im assuming this affects the information ive had from student finance, cos they've allocated a certain amount of loan to cover my tuition fee?? ive spoken to about 10 different people today and no one has been able to sort it out for me!
Reply 33
daydreambeliever
Ive got a place hrough cleaing for physio, and the course I orignally applied for didnt have NHS funding or anything like that.. do the NHS pay my tution fees as well as a means tested bursary, or is it all means tested? and im assuming this affects the information ive had from student finance, cos they've allocated a certain amount of loan to cover my tuition fee?? ive spoken to about 10 different people today and no one has been able to sort it out for me!

The NHS will pay your course fees so you won't need a tuition fee loan, and you can apply for a means tested bursary. As far as I know getting a bursary means you get can't apply for 100% of the student loan, you get a reduced amount.
Roodie
The NHS will pay your course fees so you won't need a tuition fee loan, and you can apply for a means tested bursary. As far as I know getting a bursary means you get can't apply for 100% of the student loan, you get a reduced amount.

thanks! :smile:
Reply 35
Do people think £560 a month is enough to live from? i do...but i keep having doubts when people look at me disbelievingly lol.
akacal1991
Do people think £560 a month is enough to live from? i do...but i keep having doubts when people look at me disbelievingly lol.

You will JUST get by, but do look into getting a job
Subcutaneous
no the nhs bursary is non-repayable

and yes, tuition fees are also non-repayable...they pay them for you, you live happily knowing you don't have that debt

and this is in the wrong area

Hi, im all clear on the bursary that is basic, but i have a two year old who will be in full time private nursery. i understand you get additional bursary- do you know how much that is? and also that they pay about 80-85% nursery fee's, and is that means tested?
Thanks for your advice
Jenny
Laura_Dora
I'm at a loss when it comes to the bursary. I'm still counted as a dependent student, so need to include my parents financial info. However, it asks for info from Apr 08-09, my parents are self employed and their financial year runs from July to August, meaning they dont yet have the figures for that period, and wont do until Septmeber. Therefore can only provide estimates (with little evidence other than an accountance letter).
Basically im up the creek without a paddle.

I am doing a BSc(Hons)/Diploma in Nursing Sciences - Mental Health Branch... starting 14th September... at Queen's Belfast, its like a joint Degree, Diploma thing-y

and just incase you don't know... every nursing student in the North of Ireland recieves a non-means tested bursary of £6055, with additional help for other circumstances.:yep:
also... we get £80 - for books. and £110 -for uniform

:woo: :woo:
louise_1229
I am doing a BSc(Hons)/Diploma in Nursing Sciences - Mental Health Branch... starting 14th September... at Queen's Belfast, its like a joint Degree, Diploma thing-y

not really hun, probably means if you do well in your first/second year you can transfer to the degree, most unis ask for over 50% in both years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending