The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

Rhino115
lol I havent even applied for mine yet!

Filled everything out but still waiting for my proofs back from SLC. LOL.

Atleast you've done SLC who I imagine are much slower! I just applied for my NHS bursary last week and still haven't applied for my student loan :eek: . I applied a looooong time ago and they only told me last week that because I've changed my course, I have to apply as a new student so new forms. Ridiculous.
Reply 61
BeesKnees
Atleast you've done SLC who I imagine are much slower! I just applied for my NHS bursary last week and still haven't applied for my student loan :eek: . I applied a looooong time ago and they only told me last week that because I've changed my course, I have to apply as a new student so new forms. Ridiculous.

oh that sucks :frown:

Student loans have taken around 6 weeks, nhs bursary apparantly takes about a month according to the nhs phone people. Takes 6-8 weeks to get proofs back though!! :s-smilie:
Im starting in Jan 2010 does anyone know when you get your number from the NHS for the application forms for the bursary? thanks
Reply 63
I sent off my application for nhs bursary weeks ago, and a few weeks ago they finally returned provisional licence and birth certificate. And till last week i was waiting on a letter regarding payments. Then last week I got a letter from a man in southend sayig nhs bursary sent him my application, even though it was addressed to his wife. My adress is registered in london, and i'm currently in birmingham for uni. The guy said he would post my application back to me, but i've heard nothing from him since, even after sending a text. I called nhs bursary and they said they have no records of them even recieving an application from me, and the best thing for me to do is re-apply.

In short nhs bursary has screwed me over. And i'm gonna have to pay for recorded deliveries again.
Does anyone know when application forms for NHS Bursaries for September 2010 are available?
PhoenixFortune
Does anyone know when application forms for NHS Bursaries for September 2010 are available?

i'd like to know this too:smile:
just a little confused about this burary thing.

do i still get a student loan to pay for my course fees and the bursary is to pay for everything else?

please qoute me if you answer :smile:
ballerinabetty
just a little confused about this burary thing.

do i still get a student loan to pay for my course fees and the bursary is to pay for everything else?

please qoute me if you answer :smile:

What course are you applying for?

Most Allied Health courses get their tuition fees automatically covered and paid by the NHS.

You can still apply for a student maintenance loan (from Student Finance England) to cover living costs, but you won't be able to receive a student maintenance loan if you can get a NHS Bursary (for living costs, but doesn't need to be paid back, unlike the student loan that has to be paid back after you graduate and earn more than £15k.).

The NHS Bursary is for Nursing and Allied Health courses, it's income assessed and is seperate to the NHS tuition fee payments.
PhoenixFortune
What course are you applying for?

Most Allied Health courses get their tuition fees automatically covered and paid by the NHS.

You can still apply for a student maintenance loan (from Student Finance England) to cover living costs, but you won't be able to receive a student maintenance loan if you can get a NHS Bursary (for living costs, but doesn't need to be paid back, unlike the student loan that has to be paid back after you graduate and earn more than £15k.).

The NHS Bursary is for Nursing and Allied Health courses, it's income assessed and is seperate to the NHS tuition fee payments.

thanks.
so does that mean that you have no debt after training?

i am applying for adult nursing diploma at hudderfield and leeds.
ballerinabetty
thanks.
so does that mean that you have no debt after training?

i am applying for adult nursing diploma at hudderfield and leeds.

If you do a nursing diploma, the NHS Bursary you get is non-income assessed.

The only debt you'd have is from your student loan (if you choose to apply for one, which you'll probably have to) and any credit cards or things like that that you take out (although I wouldn't recommend it).
Can someone tell me how we apply for the bursary?
thanks
PhoenixFortune
If you do a nursing diploma, the NHS Bursary you get is non-income assessed.

The only debt you'd have is from your student loan (if you choose to apply for one, which you'll probably have to) and any credit cards or things like that that you take out (although I wouldn't recommend it).

thats helpful. thank you:smile:
Cannonball
Can someone tell me how we apply for the bursary?
thanks

when your uni confirms your offer, it'll send details to the NHS bursary people, who will send you a letter and a reference number to apply with
if you are in the north of ireland, your uni will sort it all out for you, and it is non income assessed!!!

lol... you get 6055... bassic over the year, works out (from memory)
£508 a month
£140 for uniform
£80 towards books

but you get like £1000 for being a parent
and more if you are over 26 (i think)

but, you dont get your first check until like 2 weeks into course, and its a check, that takes a week to clear... but it is for 6 weeks,
so u get it like 1st week of oct.... but your next payments are all post dated.... which means you go from start oof oct, until end of nov on 6 weeks 'pay'....

hope this helps someone

x
Reply 74
Can someone help with explaining how funding works for Healthcare Courses?
I'm appying for Occupational Therapy basically what I know so far in terms of finance is:
Tuition Fees are paid for.

Will getting a bursary cover the cost of my accomodation? And do you have to apply for a bursary every year?
andi_star
Can someone help with explaining how funding works for Healthcare Courses?
I'm appying for Occupational Therapy basically what I know so far in terms of finance is:
Tuition Fees are paid for.

Will getting a bursary cover the cost of my accomodation? And do you have to apply for a bursary every year?

1. tutition fees paid for
2. You will recieve a maintenance loan from the SLC, this will be the minimum amount and only if you are eligable
3. You will recieve a MEANS tested NHS bursary that means you will have to apply every year as your circumstances may change. This is paid monthly

hope this means sense
Reply 76
So to get a maintenance loan I need to register with finance England?
andi_star
So to get a maintenance loan I need to register with finance England?

yup
Reply 78
So should I be registering now?
andi_star
So should I be registering now?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending