The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

I just thought I would post on here to tell anyone who has Firmed an institution that your NHS Reference Number will be sent to you by post shortly. If you haven't yet Firmed anywhere then you won't receive a letter until you have.
Please please PLEASE can someone shed some light on this for me!
Im filling in the Dependants Allowance application form.
When it talks about my partners income, it asks for Actual and Estimated income.
It says that the Actual should be from this academic year, and the Estimated from the forthcoming academic year. But I cant give them the 'actual' income for this academic year cos its not over with yet!! So that would be estimated too!

Fingers crossed someone can help, its stressing me out lol.

xxx
Reply 82
Woo! just finished filling in my bursary form nearly ready to send it off just gotta photocopy my passport and birth certificate!
Also finished filling in CRB online aswel! :smile: and I had my Occupational health Apt at the Uni today!
Why does everything always come at once! lol
Reply 83
for anyone doing a health care course that isnt nursing may i suggest you get saving NOW!!!! we get totally screwed over by having an nhs bursary! (unless bank of mummy and daddy are paykng your accomodation fees of course then you will be fine!! lol)

you get a reduced amount of loan than everyone else and then your bursary. after paying accomodation i am left with £25 a week to live off which really doesnt get you very far!!! most universities dont offer you their own grants bursaries etc because we get funding from the nhs (my uni gives its reason as we dont pay tuition fees - as if thats what people spent their grants on!!!) its HARD living on such little money so be prepared!!!!
Reply 84
Han265
for anyone doing a health care course that isnt nursing may i suggest you get saving NOW!!!! we get totally screwed over by having an nhs bursary! (unless bank of mummy and daddy are paykng your accomodation fees of course then you will be fine!! lol)

you get a reduced amount of loan than everyone else and then your bursary. after paying accomodation i am left with £25 a week to live off which really doesnt get you very far!!! most universities dont offer you their own grants bursaries etc because we get funding from the nhs (my uni gives its reason as we dont pay tuition fees - as if thats what people spent their grants on!!!) its HARD living on such little money so be prepared!!!!

I think nursing is the same, isn't it? or do you get less bursary + a loan? Can you not get a part-time job even if it's not a lot of hours you can have a bit extra money coming in...

I'm definitely gonna be living at home then because I can't afford it. However, I'm gonna be spending £50-£70 a week on petrol :s-smilie: and £200 a month for payments on my car.
Suppose you just have to look at it as it wont be this way forever... once you're qualified it'll all change!:smile:
Reply 85
Holamigo
I think nursing is the same, isn't it? or do you get less bursary + a loan? Can you not get a part-time job even if it's not a lot of hours you can have a bit extra money coming in...

I'm definitely gonna be living at home then because I can't afford it. However, I'm gonna be spending £50-£70 a week on petrol :s-smilie: and £200 a month for payments on my car.
Suppose you just have to look at it as it wont be this way forever... once you're qualified it'll all change!:smile:

my friend who does nursing gets £500 a month. allied health professions get nothing like that!!!
my degree changes the hours each week so i cant work during the week. the degree takes up a lot of time too and for my 1st year i need to concentrate on passing. im going to work all summer and hopefully get a job here i my 2nd year. im trying not to let money ruin my 1st year!! tis hard though!!! thank god for an overdraft!!!! lol
I just worked with the NHS bursaries calculator on the website, it says you get more or less get an extra 1000 if you live away from home.

I live with my parents but pay rent, am I still classed as living at home for purposes of the bursary?

cheers AC
Reply 87
angrychemist
I just worked with the NHS bursaries calculator on the website, it says you get more or less get an extra 1000 if you live away from home.

I live with my parents but pay rent, am I still classed as living at home for purposes of the bursary?

cheers AC

Yep I think you are still classed as living at home. I will also have to pay rent whilst living at home but i suppose students who live away from home have to pay rent, food, other bills and lots of other things so can see why they get a bit more!
Holamigo
Yep I think you are still classed as living at home. I will also have to pay rent whilst living at home but i suppose students who live away from home have to pay rent, food, other bills and lots of other things so can see why they get a bit more!

Thank you :smile:

Thats awful, three and a half if you live at home, four and a half if you dont!

Oh well better start saving :biggrin:

Thank you again
AC
Hallo friends :smile: ,

I would appreciate some advice concerning the nhs bursary.
I am doing this for a friend of mine (honest,not me) and she is interested in studying either social work or dietetics.I have done a bit of a search but would like to relay proper information.

Nhs bursary
She is 26 and works full-time but plans to leave and be a full-time student with the odd part-time work.According to my understanding(health related courses),the nhs pays for the tution fees and gives you about £2800(outside London rate) and you are entitled to a 50% loan rate.Is the student eligible for a maintainance grant? Ami right on the above ?

Please advice on the above situation.Thank you very much :smile: .
an_anonymous_friend
Hallo friends :smile: ,

I would appreciate some advice concerning the nhs bursary.
I am doing this for a friend of mine (honest,not me) and she is interested in studying either social work or dietetics.I have done a bit of a search but would like to relay proper information.

Nhs bursary
She is 26 and works full-time but plans to leave and be a full-time student with the odd part-time work.According to my understanding(health related courses),the nhs pays for the tution fees and gives you about £2800(outside London rate) and you are entitled to a 50% loan rate.Is the student eligible for a maintainance grant? Ami right on the above ?

Please advice on the above situation.Thank you very much :smile: .

All you said above is correct. Your friend would NOT be entitled to a maintenance grant as she would be able to apply for an NHS Bursary.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 91
How much student bursary do you get for the nursing diploma a week exactly? Is it £120?
if its non means tested ~ £130, however you should know it IS paid monthly
Reply 93
Subcutaneous
if its non means tested ~ £130, however you should know it IS paid monthly

is that the non means tested pay for everywhere in the UK? Or does it vary? Last time I checked it was £125 a week
alio~
is that the non means tested pay for everywhere in the UK? Or does it vary? Last time I checked it was £125 a week

you get paid £540 a month...

you can get a month when there is 4 weeks, and one where there is 5 weeks, so theres no 'set amount a week'

and 540/4 = £135
how long does it take until you get your reference number? i chose my firm uni in december for midwifery but i still havent got anything from the NHS :s-smilie:
jessewessy1990
how long does it take until you get your reference number? i chose my firm uni in december for midwifery but i still havent got anything from the NHS :s-smilie:

It takes forever. I think we get them around May time. I've had my unconditional place since December, and I haven't heard a thing.
PhoenixFortune
It takes forever. I think we get them around May time. I've had my unconditional place since December, and I haven't heard a thing.

Thats crap!!! i want to apply now so its out the way! i was debating ringing the university to see of they know it
jessewessy1990
Thats crap!!! i want to apply now so its out the way! i was debating ringing the university to see of they know it

Yeah, I know! It's so annoying, because I need to send my NHS Bursary entitlement letter to Student Finance as evidence, so that application is going to be delayed until I get it! :mad:
I didn't realise I had to wait for the NHS stuff before applying to Student Finance :frown: I really want to be organised and get it sorted out before I start revising for my June exams :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest