The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm due to start a Midwifery degree course in September so I've started applying for student finance.

I get the full amount for London students but I'm confused about NHS Bursaries. I phoned them up and they said I'd need to talk to student finance about it and they couldn't help either.

If you get a loan from student finance, do you get a bursary too.. if your doing a degree course?

I'm so confused :frown:
:confused:
distant_dreams
Heyy

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but after reading for about half an hour I've decided to ask again.

Is the maintenance loan and the NHS Bursary different things? So, if I got £3,000 or something from the maintenance loan would I get the bursary on top of that?

Also, I've just accepted my unconditional offer for Middlesex University. Will they contact me to inform me on how to apply or do I do this myself online?

Thanks!!

Yes, the maintenance loan and NHS bursary are two different things, run by the Student Loans Company and NHS Bursary Authority respectively. You can get both, although if you get a NHS bursary, the amount of maintenance loan you get will be reduced by 50% (and you can apply for the income assessed portion of the loan). You can apply for the loan via Student Finance (online or on paper) and you can apply for the NHS bursary by downloading the application form here.
The application forms for 2010/11 are released some time in May, and your firm university will send the NHS a list of their prospective students. The NHS Bursary Authority will then send you a letter with your NHS Studetn Number on it, which you must put on the front of your application form so it can be processed.

Hope that helps. :smile:
u get a loan, and a maintenance grant up to £2906 which you dont have to pay back, the amount u get depends on your household income, which is determined by ur parents P.60, the maintenance loan you will have to pay back.
PhoenixFortune
Yes, the maintenance loan and NHS bursary are two different things, run by the Student Loans Company and NHS Bursary Authority respectively. You can get both, although if you get a NHS bursary, the amount of maintenance loan you get will be reduced by 50% (and you can apply for the income assessed portion of the loan). You can apply for the loan via Student Finance (online or on paper) and you can apply for the NHS bursary by downloading the application form here.
The application forms for 2010/11 are released some time in May, and your firm university will send the NHS a list of their prospective students. The NHS Bursary Authority will then send you a letter with your NHS Studetn Number on it, which you must put on the front of your application form so it can be processed.

Hope that helps. :smile:

thank you so much! that helped loads :smile:
Hello

I have applied to study child nursing (degree and diploma).

For various reasons, I chose to work abroad for two years and have been studying with Open University during this time with the intension of getting into university later this year.

I checked with the bursary department a while back and they said I can still apply, but I will have to back up my application to prove that it was my intention to come back to England and this was just temporary etc. Has anyone else applied under similar circumstances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much.
Reply 145
anyone know how it works for second year? havent been sent anything? does it just continue or do I have to reapply???
have received all the stuff to reapply for student finance but nothing from the nhs?
Han265
anyone know how it works for second year? havent been sent anything? does it just continue or do I have to reapply???
have received all the stuff to reapply for student finance but nothing from the nhs?

your means tested? You reapply I think, contact your uni and see what they say?
Reply 147
Ive started a nursing course weeks ago where im entitled to the non means tested bursary and being stupid and lazy as I am Ive not yet sent the bursary application form off. Im wondering how many weeks does it take to process? Also say if I get the bursary 3 months into the course will I be paid for the first 2 months Ive missed out on?
As it's non-means tested, it should be processed pretty quickly. Last year I applied for a means tested bursary, and I got a letter about my entitlement within a month. I'd expect her application to be even faster than that though.

As to your second question, because it was down to you to make sure you applied in time, I doubt they would give you back payments.
how long is a piece of string?
Reply 150
Hi Guys,

Hope someone may be able to help me. I am hoping to do MSc Nursing: Registered Nurse Accelerated Programme (Mental Health Nursing) commencing in Sept. 2011. All this finance stuff is freaking me out!!!! How can I work out what I am entitled to???? The course info states the NHS pay the fees and that I would be entitled to an NHS Bursary - would I get student finance as well?? I am married and will be living with my husband in a rented place near to the Uni. We plan to let out our house whilst I am studying.

Would be grateful for any advice - many thanks!!!
so i am from england. if i want to study nursing at a scottish or welsh uni does the amount i will get for an nhs bursary change?
Reply 152
angrychemist
Good evening,

My situation is this:

I went to uni for three years and didn’t graduate. I am now going to start a Nursing Degree in September. I applied for the student loan for next year, maintenance only. The website says ‘Approved Awaiting Signature’ but on the evidence it asks for ‘evidence of compelling personal reasons’.

Does this mean if I don’t present ‘evidence of compelling personal reasons’ I won’t get a maintenance loan? My only reasons are I was away from home studying something I didn’t want to and so wasn’t happy, so nothing certifiable.

I was told Nursing was an exception and you got a student loan anyway, on top of the NHS bursary?

Can anyone help, because if I don’t get the loan I cannot go :frown:

Cheers
AC

Oh and I carnt contact my LEA cos Im in North Yorkshire, who are part of the centrally processing group of LEA’s

I understood that you can get a reduced Student Loan, even if you HAVE a degree in an unrelated subject, if the degree you're now going for qualifies for an NHS bursary. I checked this with Derbyshire educational grants people and they confirmed it, but said that the Student Loans processors don't always know this and you might have to spell it out to them.
I have been accepted into Christchurch Uni for midwifery in april 2011. I have done my student finance application but it says it needs the results of a nhs bursary application. I looked on their website but it seems to only have applications for 09/10 still. Does anyone know how I can apply for this year coming?
Darkqueenenlightened
I have been accepted into Christchurch Uni for midwifery in april 2011. I have done my student finance application but it says it needs the results of a nhs bursary application. I looked on their website but it seems to only have applications for 09/10 still. Does anyone know how I can apply for this year coming?

The 2010/2011 NHS bursary applications should be released some time in May, I believe. On my application, I ticked the box saying that I would send the results letter, but they'll just have to wait for it, won't they? :p:
Hi,
I am going to apply for a bursary for a radiography course in London. Does that mean i will have my maintenance grant cut a little? As i will need the maintenance to be able to travel and food etc.
Thanks
gcseangel
Hi,
I am going to apply for a bursary for a radiography course in London. Does that mean i will have my maintenance grant cut a little? As i will need the maintenance to be able to travel and food etc.
Thanks

If you are on an NHS-funded course, you are not eligible for a maintenance grant. You can get the non-means tested loan, but that is also reduced by half because you are eligible for a NHS bursary.
waheyyy my bursary came through today! i'M RICH! :smile:
Holamigo
waheyyy my bursary came through today! i'M RICH! :smile:

don't spend it all in one go! Remember that has to last you 2 months now!

and also

can you give me some?
Subcutaneous
don't spend it all in one go! Remember that has to last you 2 months now!

and also

can you give me some?

haha it's hard not too!

I have a big overdraft so it's helped pay some of that off! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending