The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey all,

Ok, Basically I know that the NHS pay for nursing courses and you also get a bursary.

But I was told that the University's need to send out my own personal number to be able to Apply for the NHS money, this number is also used for applying for your criminal check?

Has anybody received theirs yet? I thought I would of received it by now.

Thanks in advance!
Your NHS Student Number will be sent to you by the NHS when your university sends them a list of their firm choice applicants. You put this number on the front of your NHS bursary application form, as it cannot be processed without this number.

The Criminal Records Bureau Check (CRB) is not connected to the NHS bursary. You don't need your NHS Student Number for this. Your university will send you the CRB application form in due course (some universities may only send this to you once your offer becomes unconditional).

As the 2010/2011 NHS bursary application forms are not going to be released until May time, the NHS will most likely send your Student Number around that time.
Reply 162
PhoenixFortune
The 2010/2011 NHS bursary applications should be released some time in May, I believe. On my application, I ticked the box saying that I would send the results letter, but they'll just have to wait for it, won't they? :p:

This is what I don't get. Student Finance says non-means tested loan applications have to be in by the 23rd April. :confused:

So how can it if we have to wait until May?
andi_star
This is what I don't get. Student Finance says non-means tested loan applications have to be in by the 23rd April. :confused:

They are two different sources of finance from two different companies. Why is applying for one dependent upon the other? You do what you can, when you can.
andi_star

You complete your Student Finance application and send it to be assessed as soon as possible. When the NHS bursary forms are released, you fill them in and send it off, and when you get you entitlement letter from the NHS, send to Student Finance.

The April deadline for Student Finance is just to make sure that your application is with them and therefore the ball is in their court. You can only send your NHS entitlement letter when you get it.
Reply 165
PhoenixFortune
You complete your Student Finance application and send it to be assessed as soon as possible. When the NHS bursary forms are released, you fill them in and send it off, and when you get you entitlement letter from the NHS, send to Student Finance.

The April deadline for Student Finance is just to make sure that your application is with them and therefore the ball is in their court. You can only send your NHS entitlement letter when you get it.

Ahhh thank you for making it more understandable for my simple brain. :biggrin:
Reply 166
Does anyone know if NHS Bursaries take savings into account when they do their assessments? I know they count interest earned from savings but what about the actual savings themselves? My dad wants to store some of his money in a savings account under my name and I'm worried that if he does I'll lose my entitlement to a bursary! I've told him not to do anything because I don't want him screwing up my one chance to go to university! :smile:
LooCee
Does anyone know if NHS Bursaries take savings into account when they do their assessments? I know they count interest earned from savings but what about the actual savings themselves? My dad wants to store some of his money in a savings account under my name and I'm worried that if he does I'll lose my entitlement to a bursary! I've told him not to do anything because I don't want him screwing up my one chance to go to university! :smile:

I'm pretty sure that they don't take into account the savings themselves, as there is no space on the 2009/2010 application form to put in the total of any savings, but there is for the interest earned from them.
Reply 168
Do you get a bursary every year?
Also "the NHS will meet the standard tuition fee contribution of £1,255 on your behalf" Is this what the course costs or do we have to pay part of the tuition fees? :s-smilie:
andi_star
Also "the NHS will meet the standard tuition fee contribution of £1,255 on your behalf" Is this what the course costs or do we have to pay part of the tuition fees? :s-smilie:

Yep, you do get a bursary every year.

Where does it say that? The NHS pay your fees, so I don't know what that means.
Reply 170
It says it somewhere at the begginning of this thread.

I think I've just messed up my maintenance loan £2300 isnt enough to cover my accomodation cost! This can't be how much I'm gonna get, can it? :s-smilie:
andi_star

it just means the NHS pays your tuition fees...no forms, nothing
andi_star
It says it somewhere at the begginning of this thread.

I think I've just messed up my maintenance loan £2300 isnt enough to cover my accomodation cost! This can't be how much I'm gonna get, can it? :s-smilie:

Then you will have to take out a student loan as well. And possibly even get a job.
andi_star

I'm afraid that's all we get. I think the exact figure is £2324. We are only entitled to a non-income assessed maintenance loan (£3564), but then a further portion is taken away because we are eligible for a NHS bursary, leaving us with £2324.
Reply 174
I saw that the 2010/11 forms for continuing students are now online.... does anyone know the deadline for them to be in (to be guaranteed payment in Sept)??
Last year it was the end of May, and I was rushing big time to get it all in!
djk_99
I saw that the 2010/11 forms are now online.... does anyone know the deadline for them to be in (to be guaranteed payment in Sept)??
Last year it was the end of May, and I was rushing big time to get it all in!

The application form for new degree students isn't up yet...all you get is this.

Although I'm guessing that you're talking about the continuing students' form.
Reply 176
PhoenixFortune
The application form for new degree students isn't up yet...all you get is this.

Although I'm guessing that you're talking about the continuing students' form.

Yeah I am, sorry, should have specified.
Reply 177
is it just the degree nursing courses that get the income assessed bursary and the DipHE courses get non income assessed?
cakel
is it just the degree nursing courses that get the income assessed bursary and the DipHE courses get non income assessed?

yes
Reply 179
okay thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending