The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tis_me_lord
This is really tragic, but I'm glad that finally some people are beginning to notice, though not nearly as much as they should do.

I've only ever been to Sinhalese areas and spoken to local people and they are all opposed to the government, though they're scared to really speak about it, certainly not publically.

For example the tsunami, only aid groups helped the people at all. The government didn't - they built a palace with aid money from the west. I can't believe some people are trying to suggest the Sri Lankan government isn't in the wrong, and instead focus solely on the tigers.

Of course Tamal Tiger terrorism is wrong, but that doesn't mean the plight of the tamals is wrong too. They have a serious claim to the northern section of the island and I would like to see it become two seperate states. But at the very least they should enjoy the same rights and freedoms as the Sinhalese. I just wish the tigers didn't exist so when tamals STILL died people wouldn't be able to hide behind ridicilous excuses anymore.

I agree with you in some respects.... however you say you wish the tigers never existed so the government could not hide behind them and say oh its the LTTE killing people not us.... but I personally believe that if the LTTE did not exist then there would not be a single sri lankan tamil in sri lanka.....

This situation is ridiculous why won't the government let aid workers into the camps.... why can't they let aid workers in when they are happy to let paramilitaries wonder around snatching people's kids asking for ransom.... The government are using different excuses to slowly take these children away so that in the end their can not be another uprising againist their authorities......

I agree with you the sinhalese community do not like the government (especially the poorer people).... The government are evil self absorbed idiots

God help these poor people....
MathsStudent
I agree with you in some respects.... however you say you wish the tigers never existed so the government could not hide behind them and say oh its the LTTE killing people not us.... but I personally believe that if the LTTE did not exist then there would not be a single sri lankan tamil in sri lanka.....

This situation is ridiculous why won't the government let aid workers into the camps.... why can't they let aid workers in when they are happy to let paramilitaries wonder around snatching people's kids asking for ransom.... The government are using different excuses to slowly take these children away so that in the end their can not be another uprising againist their authorities......

I agree with you the sinhalese community do not like the government (especially the poorer people).... The government are evil self absorbed idiots

God help these poor people....

Oh of course the government not being an ass is the ideal situation. But what I said before was based on the assumption that they ARE asses, because that's the reality. So I was just saying what the best thing for the Tamils to do would have been, given that sitation.

Are you Sri Lankan btw? If so where abouts are you - do you know Hikkaduwa?
Reply 42
I'm Tamil. I've been to my parents hometown - Jaffna, during the ceasefire. It was depressing. Army people were patrolling the area with guns. My dad said that it was less developed now than it was 30 years ago. The war has driven Jaffna backwards in time. At one point we were seen as rising stars in the east, just like Japan. Nowadays there aren't even lights on the streets.
Vivisteiner
I'm Tamil. I've been to my parents hometown - Jaffna, during the ceasefire. It was depressing. Army people were patrolling the area with guns. My dad said that it was less developed now than it was 30 years ago. The war has driven Jaffna backwards in time. At one point we were seen as rising stars in the east, just like Japan. Nowadays there aren't even lights on the streets.

That's such a shame - and is there bad feelings towards the Sinhalese, or only the government?
Reply 44
^I'm not really sure tbh. Among my immediate family, no, but I don't know what the general feeling is among most Tamils. I would guess their main resentment would be against the government and its supporters. But the less educated ones may hate the Sinhalese in general. But thats just speculation.

Last time I went was quite a few years ago, and I was less interested in the situation. So I probably didn't pick up as much as I could have.
Vivisteiner
^I'm not really sure tbh. Among my immediate family, no, but I don't know what the general feeling is among most Tamils. I would guess their main resentment would be against the government and its supporters. But the less educated ones may hate the Sinhalese in general. But thats just speculation.

Last time I went was quite a few years ago, and I was less interested in the situation. So I probably didn't pick up as much as I could have.

Ok fair enough, its just I know quite a few Sinhalese people and not one of them supported the government in ANYTHING it does, and certainly not its treatment of the Tamil people. So its good your family understands who's to blame. :smile:
Reply 46
^I wish more of them were like that though. Certainly many of the Sinhalese are shocked by the government's treatment of the Tamils, but there are some who also deny that it has occured.

If the Sinhalese people as a whole start objecting to the government's regime, then maybe there's a chance that they will be stopped.
Vivisteiner
If the Sinhalese people as a whole start objecting to the government's regime, then maybe there's a chance that they will be stopped.

Maybe but EVERYONE would need to rise up and the leaders would 100% certainly lose their lives for it. At the moment things suck for the Sinhalese but at least they're alive and better off than Tamils. It would be something very special for one of them to give up their life for the Tamil cause (and I'm sure a few have) but I wouldn't expect them ALL to start doing it.

The onus should be on foreign powers to get rid of this awful government which is 10 times worse than Hussein ever was, and yet we went to war with him! It wont happen, but dammit, it should.
Reply 48
^Yeah, you're right. Although I'm not convinced that the Sinhalese people as a whole would do that, even if they could.

Oh, but Sri Lanka, unlike Iraq, does not have oil. :wink:
Vivisteiner

Yeah I am tamil I went too during the ceasefire.... It was terrible.... army checking ...tiger checking...army checking...tiger checking....

I would like to say that I never supported the tamil tigers until recently...since the tigers were defeated girls in colombo are being harassed by sinhalese guys... paramilitaries kidnapping the children of tamils... people seperated from their families.....

The world called the tigers terrorists.... the tigers are gone.... but the suffering of tamils has not ended.... you called the only people defending the tamils terrorists and now you watch on as they are murdered....

if there is not peace soon and there is an uprising again the world HAS NO RIGHT TO CALL THAT GROUP TERRORISTS
Vivisteiner
^I wish more of them were like that though. Certainly many of the Sinhalese are shocked by the government's treatment of the Tamils, but there are some who also deny that it has occured.

You should see the comments on you tube.... I get wound up trying to show these strong government supporters that their government is EVIL...

I saw 2 comments that really stood out

One sinhalese man said
"we shouldn't have let these immigrants into our country now the war is over lets deport them to India"------ that got me fuming

and another person who claims their tamil -- VivaLanka
said something along the lines of " their is no special suffering of tamils in sri lanka its all LTTE propaganda..."---- clearly the guy is lying about being tamil
Reply 51
^I certainly believe a group had to rise up, perhaps even militarily, but I still cannot excuse the Tigers for the crimes they commited against humanity. Whilst the Sinhalese government are much worse, the Tigers hands are also stained with blood. With them as our leaders we would find it more difficult to have the moral highground. Although without leaders at all we may well be crushed.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, its sad that people can deny what is happening.
Vivisteiner
^I certainly believe a group had to rise up, perhaps even militarily, but I still cannot excuse the Tigers for the crimes they commited against humanity. Whilst the Sinhalese government are much worse, the Tigers hands are also stained with blood. With them as our leaders we would find it more difficult to have the moral highground. Although without leaders at all we may well be crushed.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, its sad that people can deny what is happening.

The tigers hands blood stained or not they were the only people that were defending us.....

If there is not peace .... and tamils are stilling being killed then I will never oppose another rebel group arising.... in fact I would happily pay money for them to buy weaponry (yes I said it I will happily fuel any formed rebel group ).... you know there are loads of tamil people that do not go to the protests claiming that everyone at the protests are tamil tigers... well I say they are PATHETIC.... tigers.... yeah blame the tigers when all our families are wiped out...
Reply 53
MathsStudent
The tigers hands blood stained or not they were the only people that were defending us.....

If there is not peace .... and tamils are stilling being killed then I will never oppose another rebel group arising.... in fact I would happily pay money for them to buy weaponry (yes I said it I will happily fuel any formed rebel group ).... you know there are loads of tamil people that do not go to the protests claiming that everyone at the protests are tamil tigers... well I say they are PATHETIC.... tigers.... yeah blame the tigers when all our families are wiped out...

What about the time the Tamil tigers stopped the Tamil people from voting in the elections? What about the times the Tamil Tigers have killed innocent Tamil civilians?

Whilst the war was happening, this is what I would have said:

The problem with the Tamil Tigers is that they have lost their way. They no longer fully care for the Tamil people. They're run by Prabhakaran who is intoxicated by power. What's more, many of them do not want the war to end in some kind of treaty because they are often uneducated. Once the war ends they lose their livelihood. So even with eelam the tamils would still have problems with a man like Prabhakaran as ruler. It would most likely not be a democracy but instead a dictatorship.

But I do think people should go to the protests - whether they be Tamil tiger supporters or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending