The Student Room Group

What to wear under gown at graduation

I absolutely hate wearing shirts, I don't feel like myself in them at all, so I wanted to wear a black dress...however it's strapless, so I imagine this might be a problem because don't you have to hook the hood onto something? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to wear that isn't a shirt?

Scroll to see replies

Pants.
Reply 2
nothing
Reply 3
Your birthday suit.
Pyjamas.
Reply 5
teh_samby
I absolutely hate wearing shirts, I don't feel like myself in them at all, so I wanted to wear a black dress...however it's strapless, so I imagine this might be a problem because don't you have to hook the hood onto something? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to wear that isn't a shirt?

You'll need buttons, otherwise, as you say, you'll have nothing to attach your hood to. So that probably rules out the strapless dress... On the other hand, though, you'll only need to wear that hood during the actual ceremony, so if you really feel so uncomfortable wearing a shirt, you can just get changed straight afterwards (and wear your gown over your dress, if that's what you want).
Reply 6
damn it, I was gona say wear nothing! Well it'd certainly get ya remembered. :p:
Ya, sorry all I can suggest is to wear whatever works with your gown. It'll be weird if you're the only one without a hood. I'm guessing that would be a lot more uncomfortable than wearing a shirt.

Also, all the people suggesting nothing remind me of a girl who graduated with me. Right before we had to walk on the stage, they had everyone take off their gowns. I'm not sure why, maybe to make sure no one was planning on streaking. But there was one girl who was planning on going to the beach right after, so she just had a bikini on under. So she just had to stand there in nothing but a bikini for 20 minutes surrounded by people in formal wear. I felt bad for her, but it was kind of funny.
Reply 8
see picture.
Reply 9
What about a top like this, with the tie bit and hole at the top - would that help with the hood issue? http://www.newlook.co.uk/1584613/158461379/ProductDetails.aspx
Reply 10
teh_samby
What about a top like this, with the tie bit and hole at the top - would that help with the hood issue? http://www.newlook.co.uk/1584613/158461379/ProductDetails.aspx

:no: Not really... Basically the hood just has a small loop. You'd normally attach that loop to one of the buttons on your shirt, to keep the hood from sliding down your back, because there is nothing else to make it stay put.
With that top, though, your only way of attaching the hood would be by pulling those strings through the loop - but that wouldn't do because the weight of the hood would pull on the strings (which would be rather uncomfortable for you), and it would also make the hood slide down a lot further than it ought to. So you'd look silly and nearly be choked by those strings. I'm sorry, but unless you want to staple the hood to your shoulders - which isn't really an option either, because you're hiring it for the day only - you'll need something with buttons.
Reply 11
hobnob
:no: Not really... Basically the hood just has a small loop. You'd normally attach that loop to one of the buttons on your shirt, to keep the hood from sliding down your back, because there is nothing else to make it stay put.
With that top, though, your only way of attaching the hood would be by pulling those strings through the loop - but that wouldn't do because the weight of the hood would pull on the strings (which would be rather uncomfortable for you), and it would also make the hood slide down a lot further than it ought to. So you'd look silly and nearly be choked by those strings. I'm sorry, but unless you want to staple the hood to your shoulders - which isn't really an option either, because you're hiring it for the day only - you'll need something with buttons.

Okay, thanks for the info. You've been very helpful. :smile: Unlike, well, almost everybody else. :rolleyes:
Strapless dress is a really, really bad idea - a friend wore one (she safety-pinned it) and a) everyone stared at her and b) it was yoinked up round her neck by the end of the ceremony!

One thing a friend wore that looked really stylish was an all-in-one blouse dress...it had a white blouse section with cap sleeves attached to a black skirt with a high waist. She was one of the few that wasn't constantly having to tuck her shirt in every ten seconds as it got pulled up by the hood!
I'm going to sound so thick but could some helpful person give a basic list of what will and won't work under a gown? I wasn't aware there was so much restriction! Panic!
Maybe a dress with buttons at the front could work
something like this
but maybe that is too casual
shorty.loves.angels
I'm going to sound so thick but could some helpful person give a basic list of what will and won't work under a gown? I wasn't aware there was so much restriction! Panic!

You need:

-buttons up the front or something you can attach the hood to - so definitely no plunge fronts

-something secure over the shoulders - so thin straps are a no-no

-heavy fabrics - definitely no silk or chiffon blouses

-something to keep it secure at the base - so a dress or a skirt that you can tuck a shirt into

My friend's dress was basically this with a white shirt: http://www.newlook.co.uk/1709176/170917609/ProductDetails.aspx Technically you're not supposed to wear anything other than black and white, but people do. They just get stared at.

Oh, and for the love of God, no mini skirts and stripper heels. Yes, it happened. No, it wasn't pleasant.
IlexAquifolium
You need:

-buttons up the front or something you can attach the hood to - so definitely no plunge fronts

-something secure over the shoulders - so thin straps are a no-no

-heavy fabrics - definitely no silk or chiffon blouses

-something to keep it secure at the base - so a dress or a skirt that you can tuck a shirt into

My friend's dress was basically this with a white shirt: http://www.newlook.co.uk/1709176/170917609/ProductDetails.aspx Technically you're not supposed to wear anything other than black and white, but people do. They just get stared at.

Oh, and for the love of God, no mini skirts and stripper heels. Yes, it happened. No, it wasn't pleasant.

Thanks, you are most helpful. I'm so glad the OP made this thread or I would have been clueless and probably turned up in something ridiculous.

Yay another excuse to go shopping!

Is it normal for girls to wear heels...? I'm very short and prefer wearing a least a medium sized heel for occasions. eek I'm just panicking now!
Reply 17
I pinned mine to my strappy dress and had no problems - most of my friends did the same......Dont actually know anyone who wore a shirt, although maybe it was the shape of the hoods for QUB? :dontknow:
shorty.loves.angels

Is it normal for girls to wear heels...? I'm very short and prefer wearing a least a medium sized heel for occasions. eek I'm just panicking now!

Definitely - although make sure you're comfortable walking up steps in them, since most lecterns seem to be on podiums.

Re.the poster above - our hoods were really heavy so maybe that dictated dress? :dontknow:
Reply 19
Mine was fur-lined so it was heavy too :dontknow:

What you wear under the gown doesnt matter all that much as it can't really be seen - wear nice heels though :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending