The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
well religious groups cant just disband over night, so you cant really answer the question. its like saying if you shot your mum in the head now (assuming that you would never in a million years do it), would your dad be happy? although my example might seem crazy, i have a point. you cant have an answer to something that cant happen.
Reply 21
Terry Acky
well religious groups cant just disband over night, so you cant really answer the question. its like saying if you shot your mum in the head now (assuming that you would never in a million years do it), would your dad be happy? although my example might seem crazy, i have a point. you cant have an answer to something that cant happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheticals

:rolleyes:
Reply 22

fair enough, your quite intelligent or you read too much. i still think its a weird question to ask, despite what wiki says. i'm 80% always wrong though, i just cant see it.
Reply 23
when you ask these hypothetical questions, do you take into account that the people would be like wtf? how did that happen? like what if your computors where taken away from you tomorrow, would you miss them? if i missed them, i would be more concerned on how they dissapeared.
Reply 24
Terry Acky
when you ask these hypothetical questions, do you take into account that the people would be like wtf? how did that happen? like what if your computors where taken away from you tomorrow, would you miss them? if i missed them, i would be more concerned on how they dissapeared.

No, most people aren't that ridiculously pedantic.
Morality does not come from religion, nor does discipline or obedience.
The main benefits of religion is the ability to supply a sense of identity to groups who seek community in their values. They dont know what to think but want to find a group they agree with.

If religion is disbanded and the people went about with their own values, there would be more wayward people with nobody to help them be in control but there would also be less bigots and less prejudices/discrimination. People would not try to impose views on others and there would not be a sense of 'I am right and you are wrong and that's the end of it.'
Reply 26
yh lets scrap all religions...
those against adultry/loosing virginity before marrige
those encouraging self control e.g- not drinking alcohol
those stating murder is wrong...

hmmm i see a future of more preg teens, uncontrollable STI's... death tolls increasing, increasing rape... :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Terry Acky

looool. ur just embarassing urself now
Reply 28
Regina George
No, most people aren't that ridiculously pedantic.

i still dont fully agree with these questions, i would have said, what if religion had never existed, would people be less spiritural, how would the world be different if religion had never existed to it now with religion? i'm probably being naive, but your questions bugging me.
Reply 29
Terry Acky
i still dont fully agree with these questions, i would have said, what if religion had never existed, would people be less spiritural, how would the world be different if religion had never existed to it now with religion? i'm probably being naive, but your questions bugging me.

haha funny stuff
Reply 30
Religions aren't the problem, it's the followers. Ultimately, people will always find some reason to hate others, attack others, etc. and it has nothing to do with religion, that's just a handy tool.
Reply 31
uni_Boy
looool. ur just embarassing urself now

i cant help it, i'm not a philosopher like morgan freeman.
Reply 32
I'm against organised religion in general, but I think that simply getting rid of them would create more problems than it would solve. It would need to be phased out over generations or people would have massive identity crises - imagine everyone suddenly telling you that all your beliefs are wrong.

Also, as some people would still practice religion so there could still be fundementalists.
Reply 33
girl786
haha funny stuff

is tht sarcasm, because everyone seem to be laughing at me. also, i'm hungry.
Reply 34
lm_wfc
If religion had never existed the world would be a mess.
Back in the middle ages wiht no police, the only thing stopping theives rapists and murderers was the fear of god.
the church also ran alot the world, and was n=more stable than the power hungry monarchs

I don't think the murderers and rapists were particularly stopped then either.
Reply 35
It wouldn't help much.
Differences in Religion are just differences in Schools of thought. Like in the past it was Religion Vs Another Religion, now it's Atheism vs Atheism, maybe if religion stopped it might turn to become Atheims vs Nihilism or whatever really. As long as we live there will be differences in opinion (this is my opinion, i'm not saying i'm definetly right or anything, just what I believe) , we just have to learn to cooperate better and come to some sort of understanding rather than disbanding or destroying schools of thought.
I'll start by saying that I'm not religious. I don't think getting rid of all religion would be a good thing.

When you look at the numbers, it is a very very small minority that cause damage because of, or through, religion.

Religion sort of preaches back at those who preach. It gives guidance, morals, ideas and imaginative thoughts. For many, it provides closure, an answer to questions that science cannot [yet] answer. Although many of these can be gained elsewhere, I do believe that religion shows people the right way forward, if they choose it. It is probably fairly safe to say that the vast majority or religious followers experience these things and are better people for it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of people are forced into religion during their upbringing. This isn't something I agree with, but the ebenefit of it is that the kids are brought up in a very good way.

But like everything else in the world, some people take it too far. These people are called "extremists". Extremism does not apply solely to religion, and you'll probably recognise it from its overuse in the media-hyped phrase "muslim extremists". Extremism causes problems, religion doesn't.
Reply 37
I think there are good points for both sides of this argument. There's no denying that religious clashes/disagreements/beliefs lead to a lot of terrible things. Not every terrible thing though, and the terrible things aren't the only things that come out of religion. But if all religious groups were disbanded, then maybe there would be less conflict, which is a pro. But conflict would surely still come from beliefs developed independently, it would just be individuals rather than groups.

And then there's the argument that so much good comes from religion. People have a feeling of belonging. It's a good way to express your beliefs. Charities and such. And of course, the grand majority aren't going to be starting lots of conflict.

I reckon that it would be better if we, as a world, were polytheist. Then we could accept other people's gods and beliefs rather than fighting over them. I like Ancient History - in Greek and Roman times people were polytheist, and they just incorporated other people's gods into their own belief system. The problems came with Judaism and Christianity. But even though they were just picking new gods up left, right and centre, religion was so important in Greek and Roman times, and I think they still had that sense of belonging. And morals too - though I don't think that having no religion would mean no morals. People have their own morals and ideas of right and wrong, regardless of religion.

Hylean
Religions aren't the problem, it's the followers. Ultimately, people will always find some reason to hate others, attack others, etc. and it has nothing to do with religion, that's just a handy tool.

I like your point. I think that's a very good way of saying it.
Regina George
If all religious groups were disbanded tomorrow and people proceeded to adopt their own personal spirituality if they wished, without the doctrines/ties of religious groups - would the world be a better place, or would people lose their sense of morality? How would the world change?

Is religion holding us back as a progressive, liberal society?

No, you look at an example like Tibet where their religion was annialated and their entire human rights came crumbling with it, their culture was obliterated.
I visited a church and about 80% of the congregation where involved in voluntary work that you'd have no idea was going on. The church organised lunches for the elderly, visiting for the sick etc. No other organisation brings committed adults together in such a way. I think half of the charitys would close down because whilst you could argue people will be compelled to help in such a way regardless of religious beliefs religion gives you that momentum.
Many adults I know would love to volunteer at a local hosptial etc but they 'don't have time', religion is the driving force tomake you make time.

Finally. Maybe you've never been to a religious form of worship, but when I have I feel unified, strengthened in hope and spirit, exalted to be singing and praying with so many others and it makes me happy.
Take it away and you remove a lot fo joy from this world.
No.

The fundamentalists would all find something else to go to war over.

Anyone who thinks that the end of religion would be an end to the world's problems is seriously deluded.

Latest

Trending

Trending