The Student Room Group
It'll be primarily cos you're in 1st year - you'll realise that if you apply next year, that in 1st year you really dont know enough to be of any use in a pharmacy or rather you dont know enough to build on your existing knowledge if that makes sense. By 2nd year you'll have done patient counselling/drug interactions/disease states etc depending on your course and will have a broader knowledge needed to learn new things.

I had a wee bit of experience but not much, only applied in 2nd year and got a placement no problem.
Reply 2
Its hard to get a placement in 1st year - especially if you're applying for paid placements. Even though they seem to take more people on in their second and third year they still get you to do pointless things you could have done easily in first year.

The best thing to do would be to apply to local pharmacies and see if you can get a week or two UNPAID. This can help towards other applications as voluntary placements shows some sort of drive to get experience. Not only that, but dependents are more likely to let you get more involved - unlike your first placement at some of the larger multiples.
Reply 3
i finished my 2nd year and had no experience in a pharmacy whatsoever... but i carried out voluntary work in the summer for few weeks n in my summer placement applications, i just wrote about that... n managed to get a place..
but remember one thing.. even if u r capable student, sumtyms u might not get a placement and this is mainly due to the location..
so wen u apply, keep in mind where ur applying as if there are many ppl applying in that same city and its harder to get a place...
all the bestt.. :wink:
According to the Boots representative at the Welcome Day today, across the country there were 3000 applicants (I think) for placements, and only 300-400 places available...
Reply 5
I just finished my third year, only got a couple weeks experience to my name at a community pharmacy. Didn't really do much at the pharmacy and wrote that my activity was limited on my CV but managed to get a placement this year. Didn't apply anywhere during my first or second year.
So as mentioned above its more likely that because you are a first year, you may have been overlooked so I guess you could just ring some local pharmacies and try to get some voluntary experience this summer and just apply again next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending