The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can't believe I've only just found this thread *stamps feet*

I made one a while ago but no one went on it lol.

The notes here pretty much cover what I have, I'm hoping for a question on the Duke and Angelo as I can use the King James/Christ/Machiavellian comparisons and King James' thoughts that the measure (of a rulers love to the people) should be determined 'by the measure of his virtue. I'd love a question on religious elements, however I'm also hoping for religion to come up in the ancient mariner questions so will probably be let down by at least one of them :frown:
Thanks for the rep Esma (and The Jester, can't remember if I repped you yesterday :P)

I'm off to learn quotes for the next two hours (which will be intersped with random doodlings :P)
I'm a bit worried about trying to do too much work this morning in case I over fill my head and manage to forget everything. As a result I''ve watched an episode of Friends and applied for a student bank account. This could be seen as either problematic or productive.

I think the best thing to do now is re read some of the text...
Well, I only started revising for this yesterday, so I need to revise more. I tried from Friday but just couldn't v_v We've also got the added stress of knowing that we only have one more day to prepare our pre-release!
I'm having so much trouble learning quotes! I know quite a few, but not enough...how important are they? I did a mock in this Unit and only included about 3 or 4 quotes in the entire essay, and still managed 29/35... I just wish we were allowed the play in the examination room (like the lucky yr 12s on the new spec are allowed to do, damn them!)

I haven't even looked at the pre-release yet. I'm doing that this evening.

How many quotes are you all planning to include in your essay, roughly?
As many as I can possibly fit in. Probably 4 or 5, depends on how many of hte ones I remember are suitable. If none of them are suitable I'll use my ability to ******** to make them fit!
Reply 66
Same,as many as are relevant really..Just try and learn atleast one quote per theme and character..Most importantly though,if you dont know the quote properly,PARAPHRASE.examiners hateeee misquoting.
whisperings
I'm having so much trouble learning quotes! I know quite a few, but not enough...how important are they? I did a mock in this Unit and only included about 3 or 4 quotes in the entire essay, and still managed 29/35... I just wish we were allowed the play in the examination room (like the lucky yr 12s on the new spec are allowed to do, damn them!)

I haven't even looked at the pre-release yet. I'm doing that this evening.

How many quotes are you all planning to include in your essay, roughly?

about four 4-5

if we're lucky and i get a particular question on a certain character then i can put more. i havent looked at the pre release either :p:
i've suscribed to the ltb 6 thread so i'll just cram everything in then revise for the other subjects i have.
i wouldnt mind a question antithesis.

that way i could talk about a range of things such as religion (old testamennt 'eye for an eye' vs new testament teaching of forgiveness). perhaps characters such as angelo vs duke , isabella vs angelo etc etc..

i dont think i'm going to end up writing loads in the exam i'm jus going to try to keep it structured and clear.
I really don't envy those of you doing the synoptic in between your other exams :frown: If it's any help at all remember not to waste your time reading around the pre release as everything you need to know will be in there. The questions can also be quite predictable and the most worthwhile thing to do is pick out the language features in the main extract and also link critics to the main extract-half the paper done :smile:

Good luck for this afternoon (I'm trying to forget about the big economics exam I have on friday :redface: )
Fackkkkkk I think I failed. My structure was awful
Reply 71
The Jester

It was not great was it :\ which question did you do?I did b,the one about Angelo & Vincentio
Esma
It was not great was it :\ which question did you do?I did b,the one about Angelo & Vincentio

its annoying because i knew how to answer the question but i was waffling far too much. maybe i'm being too hard on myself but i'll be quite disappointed if i get anything less than a B.

what did you write about?
I picked the question about the Duke being more of a tyrant than Angelo and looked at points such as the Duke being a King James I figure in the first scene and also seeming Christ like when he refers to the parable of the talents which suggests he isn't a tyrant. Then I looked at the idea of a Machiavelian ruler and also Angelo being more consistent than the Duke-he sentences those from all walks of life while the Duke lets the higher class characters walk free.

For the Mariner I took the question describing him as a ''crazy old man'' and talked about the morals he presents suggesting wisdom rather than old age and also that his character is far from crazy. I talked about the ballad form suggesting fluency and a flowing story which is not something we would associate with an elderly person.

The Measure for Measure one seemed okay-the Mariner one did not...
Same on the Vincentio > Tyrant question :smile: I said yes, The Duke is an ******, Angelo is the civtim.

For Wife of Bath I did the one on humour :smile:
Oh, the entire paper for me was just awesome, loved the questions!
leala4628
I picked the question about the Duke being more of a tyrant than Angelo and looked at points such as the Duke being a King James I figure in the first scene and also seeming Christ like when he refers to the parable of the talents which suggests he isn't a tyrant. Then I looked at the idea of a Machiavelian ruler and also Angelo being more consistent than the Duke-he sentences those from all walks of life while the Duke lets the higher class characters walk free.

For the Mariner I took the question describing him as a ''crazy old man'' and talked about the morals he presents suggesting wisdom rather than old age and also that his character is far from crazy. I talked about the ballad form suggesting fluency and a flowing story which is not something we would associate with an elderly person.

The Measure for Measure one seemed okay-the Mariner one did not...

i did similar things to you only that it was my conclusion that let me down because i was reading it and it seemed fine then i got stuck and then i started crossing a lot of things out then it just got really messy. i'm worried because i'll lose marks because it didnt end well.

the poetry went badly.. :emo:
The Jester

Yeah it wasn't the best exam :frown: but I'm sure you've done better than you think! I waffled far too much..don't think I did enough to hit AO5 either.. poetry was not much better (Tennyson=ugh)
Reply 78
whisperings
Yeah it wasn't the best exam :frown: but I'm sure you've done better than you think! I waffled far too much..don't think I did enough to hit AO5 either.. poetry was not much better (Tennyson=ugh)

Oo I had Tennyson too,which question did you choose?I did the (a) question..not that it was really much better than the (b) one :frown:
Reply 79
Well my exam was rubbish

i did the question about the duke being more of a tyrant than angelo. I put quite a lot of context in but then found i hadn't really related it to the question so my argument wasn't good at all.Then after the exam i realised one of my main points was divine right of kings and i forgot to put it in =/

I did the crazy question for the ancient mariner and i didn't refer to the rest of the poem much so that went quite badly too.

I always find i panic in english exams and then it all goes horrible wrong. I can never get my point across without waffling in exams.

Nevermind...synoptic on wednesday. Yay :frown:

Latest