The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends what it is they are trying to sell.
Reply 2
Apart from the growing trend for quirky/bizarre adverts (WKD, Dairy Milk etc), yes.
Reply 3
Men in advertisements - sex objects?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUPa4bM7m4
Reply 4
I think that the advertising business are over-doing the "sex symbols" of men in adverts for women and visa versa.

If they didn't do this then I don't see the harm to their sales...

DO people really buy a product just for the advert!?!
Reply 5
I don't think it's more successful at selling, but it certainly grabs men's attention.
I think women in general are sex objects.
Yes. Thats the way it is
urm one word

diet coke ads

oh and sexy women are the focal point in female ads as well

seriously who are the makers of showergel for women trying to impress with thier super sexy women women nakedly soaping themselves - supermodel lesbians
Reply 9
foulja

DO people really buy a product just for the advert!?!

lol. Yes...companies have been foolishly wasting billions of dollars for no reason. You tell 'em
Reply 10
Definitely, just look at lynx, most of their stuff doesn't even smell that good and fairly often I see people spraying ridiculous amounts on during the day :frown:
Reply 11
silverbolt
urm one word

diet coke ads

oh and sexy women are the focal point in female ads as well

seriously who are the makers of showergel for women trying to impress with thier super sexy women women nakedly soaping themselves - supermodel lesbians

According to a recent NY Times article I read, most women respond sexually to images of naked women as much as those of naked men, no matter what their sexuality. Might explain it!
Reply 12
Men are also depicted as sex objects in advertisement to entice women and gay blokes to buy stuff yet that doesn't catch any one's attention.
Wow, i loved the comment about lynx - its so true. I mean, right now they are selling their "pocket pulling power" lynx range (or whatever the hell its called) which is basically a minature bottle of lynx that would run out after a day or so of useage for a stupidly expensive price and people are actually buying it! How rediculous is that...i mean, they show a near naked woman being attracted to a guy in a shop because he sprayed himself with a tiny bottle of lynx and guys are tripping over each other to get hold of some. Stupid.

And yes, women are totally sex objects in advertising. i mean - do you ever see unattractive women in advertising? no? thats because they want sexy women, not just any women.

Plus, think of all the adverts that feature scantily clad women - soap, deoderant, aftershave, shower gel, skin cream, clothes shops etc. How can you see that and not realise that women are being used as sex objects.
Reply 14
you don't say
Reply 15
Yes. Otherwise why would advertisers continue to do it? :confused:
Reply 16
I don't think women are portrayed as sex "objects" unless they are actually dressing up like a giant dildo. I believe sexuality is fundamentally a human trait therefore it defies all logic to say portraying them in a sexual way is treating them like an object. I mean you don't call a comedian a "humour object" do you?
Women are sex objects.
Bslforever
Wow, i loved the comment about lynx - its so true. I mean, right now they are selling their "pocket pulling power" lynx range (or whatever the hell its called) which is basically a minature bottle of lynx that would run out after a day or so of useage for a stupidly expensive price and people are actually buying it! How rediculous is that...i mean, they show a near naked woman being attracted to a guy in a shop because he sprayed himself with a tiny bottle of lynx and guys are tripping over each other to get hold of some. Stupid.

And yes, women are totally sex objects in advertising. i mean - do you ever see unattractive women in advertising? no? thats because they want sexy women, not just any women.

Plus, think of all the adverts that feature scantily clad women - soap, deoderant, aftershave, shower gel, skin cream, clothes shops etc. How can you see that and not realise that women are being used as sex objects.

The one in the leopard print is hot though

Latest

Trending

Trending