The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HappinessHappening
I know this is a very controversial idea, but it was suggested to me the other day. Clothing and hairstyles aside, can you tell if someone is working class, middle class etc just by looking at their facial features?

Yes I can. I can also predict their IQ to within 0.25 standard deviations of their actual IQ. I can also predict their haircolour just by looking at them
Reply 2
In America anyone that has bad teeth is ridiculed as a hill-billy. The idea is that anyone with wealth would surely choose to spend money on braces to fix crooked teeth and whitening treatments to fix stained teeth.
Reply 3
I think that most people can be seen in whatever class by their face.

E.g. un-shaven is surely poor right?

yet i sometimes just can't be arsed to shave and therefore go un-shaven for a coupl of days and i am more middle/upper-class

So personally i find it hard to tell just by one look.

But give me 10 minutes talking and i can find out alot
Reply 4
Richer girls look horsey with big noses.
Reply 5
true

posh people usually have their noses pointing at the sky lol
Reply 6
Yuffie
Richer girls look horsey with big noses.

is it something to do with their love for ponies and horseys?
Reply 7
All upper-class folk have horsey teeth and wingnut ears.
All middle class people have pasty faces from being buried in the pages of the Guardian.
All working class people squint and look around furtively.

But seriously! Judging a book by the cover is a recipe for disaster.
Reply 8
Marco1
All upper-class folk have horsey teeth and wingnut ears.
All middle class people have pasty faces from being buried in the pages of the Guardian.
All working class people squint and look around furtively.

But seriously! Judging a book by the cover is a recipe for disaster.

definately !!

many fights/wars can be started that way!
Reply 9
i can tell travellers a mile away
Reply 11
No, if you could see what they were wearing, then yes, probably.
Some people say the upper English class have horse faces? I DON'T agree btw, I am saying that's what I've heard, before I get a swell of self righteousness.
Reply 13
No.
Reply 14
Hair can say a lot about men. If they have a skin head or have it really short cut they are definitely working class. Middle class tend to like their hair smart - not too long and not too short. Upper-middle and upper men tend to have their hair longer and not as tidily kept as middle class. There are exceptions to this, gypsies and surfers also have their hair longer, as can the alternative crowd, but they are easily spotted by the way the dress. Don't know if there are any similar rules for female hair.
Psycho
Yes I can. I can also predict their IQ to within 0.25 standard deviations of their actual IQ. I can also predict their haircolour just by looking at them

Hahahaha :biggrin:
Reply 16
I wouldn't have thought so. I'm more interested if you can tell what decade a person's from based on just their facial features. Would a woman from the 40s look obviously from that time with modern hair and make-up instead?
I think so.

I, of course, have the look of an enlightened, well-bred Tory; whereas a lot of the people I see coming out of places like Hypa-Value and Lidl look like working-class Labour voters.
Reply 18
And sorry for my little thread-hijack attempt there... Just a pondering of mine. :smile:
I don't think so.. especially with social mobility (yes, I know that is contested but shhh :p:)

Generalisation is also a bad thing as there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Latest

Trending

Trending