The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or UCL or computer science?

hi everyone

I am an international student who just got offer from

UCL G403 (international cs) for entry point 1

Edinburgh G401 (BSc/BEng Honours in Computer Science (G400/G401) )

and Edinburgh GN42 (BSc Honours in Computer Science and Management Science (GN42) )

for point of entry 2 for both

I also got Bristol for G401 entry point 1

I wonder what should I take?

I m consider heavily on Edinburgh Vs UCL

cos I saw in RAE rankings that Edinburgh is 5*A for CS

and UCL is 5A only but world's 7th ranked school........

i would like to know about the future careers regarding with the courses.....

what I really profound is in networking site but i heard tat it dun pay much while software engineers got alot more than the networking engineers...

pls tell me what to choose ?

thanks alot

:smile:
Reply 1
Well Edinburgh is much better for CS.
But UCL has a better overall reputation...however Edinburgh is not that far off it.
Also personally i think Edinburgh is much better(and cheaper) then London. It is also more beautiful and people are generally much more friendly from my experience of visiting =)
I personally have chosen Edinburgh over UCL, mostly because Edinburgh has the best CS research in the UK by far.
Reply 2
Edinburgh, definitely.
Reply 3
AshleyT
Well Edinburgh is much better for CS.
But UCL has a better overall reputation...however Edinburgh is not that far off it.
Also personally i think Edinburgh is much better(and cheaper) then London. It is also more beautiful and people are generally much more friendly from my experience of visiting =)
I personally have chosen Edinburgh over UCL, mostly because Edinburgh has the best CS research in the UK by far.

Thanks Ashley

thanks for ur warm reply

Now i wanna tell u some personal issues....

i recently was discouraging to go to UK....

My sister has known one guy from Edinburgh

I duno wat course he went for but sure Engineering

he said...

he regretted fir not going to USA

cos he dun get any job in UK after graduation and there has not enough positions for giving out jobs to fresh graduates..

Plus USA dun recognise UK degrees...

he come back to Singapore and work at my sister place

and now my sister gives me pressure to do SAT again

but ... i already got a diploma n so I dun wanna sit for exam again

I jus wonder if UK degree is well known in USA, canada and Australia ?

cos i personally intend to work in Google or Microsoft in any part of the world

and after hearing these things.. i m abit pissed off.....

What do u think?
Reply 4
laser
Edinburgh, definitely.

wow... thnc alot :smile:
Reply 5
Depends which area of Comp sci you want to go into. Edinburgh currently has better research in AI, however UCL has a really strong software eng group, more specificly requirements engineering. UCL's machine learning is also on par with edinburgh if not better. In the theory of computation field neither of them have published any ground breaking papers recently. In distributed systems I dont know enough about edinburgh to judge but UCL and imperial do alot of research together and the papers are quite high quality. In graphical and vision edinburgh is better but only slightly. Not sure about HCI in either uni.
Reply 6
thetmon4
Thanks Ashley

thanks for ur warm reply

Now i wanna tell u some personal issues....

i recently was discouraging to go to UK....

My sister has known one guy from Edinburgh

I duno wat course he went for but sure Engineering

he said...

he regretted fir not going to USA

cos he dun get any job in UK after graduation and there has not enough positions for giving out jobs to fresh graduates..

Plus USA dun recognise UK degrees...

he come back to Singapore and work at my sister place

and now my sister gives me pressure to do SAT again

but ... i already got a diploma n so I dun wanna sit for exam again

I jus wonder if UK degree is well known in USA, canada and Australia ?

cos i personally intend to work in Google or Microsoft in any part of the world

and after hearing these things.. i m abit pissed off.....

What do u think?

Well as im in the UK i honestly don't know much about the reputation of our degrees. However i would have expected big companies to take graduates from our big universities...the ones you are applying for.
Tbh i generally shocked to hear our degrees arn't taken as seriously so it may be worth trying to email google or microsoft to find out :smile:....but as far as im away, Edinburgh has good links with stanford uni at the moment, a top cs uni in america.
But if you go to somewhere like CMU or MIT in usa...do it! lol...since they are best in world for cs.

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/careers/graduates/applicationprocess.mspx
Well a quick google found me microsoft looking for UK grads so our degrees cant be that bad lol.
Reply 7
AshleyT
Well as im in the UK i honestly don't know much about the reputation of our degrees. However i would have expected big companies to take graduates from our big universities...the ones you are applying for.
Tbh i generally shocked to hear our degrees arn't taken as seriously so it may be worth trying to email google or microsoft to find out :smile:....but as far as im away, Edinburgh has good links with stanford uni at the moment, a top cs uni in america.
But if you go to somewhere like CMU or MIT in usa...do it! lol...since they are best in world for cs.

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/careers/graduates/applicationprocess.mspx
Well a quick google found me microsoft looking for UK grads so our degrees cant be that bad lol.

hi Ashley

I am really appreciate your reply again :smile:

thank you very much....
Reply 8
codemonkey
Depends which area of Comp sci you want to go into. Edinburgh currently has better research in AI, however UCL has a really strong software eng group, more specificly requirements engineering. UCL's machine learning is also on par with edinburgh if not better. In the theory of computation field neither of them have published any ground breaking papers recently. In distributed systems I dont know enough about edinburgh to judge but UCL and imperial do alot of research together and the papers are quite high quality. In graphical and vision edinburgh is better but only slightly. Not sure about HCI in either uni.

Hi Code,

Thnaks for your reply.It is very helpful.

I am actually interested in Networking and telecommunications things.

I dun like hardwares so that I chosed computing though I have finished my diploma in Electrical , Computing and Communications.

And I decided to go to UCL already.

I have a plan to do BSc there and go to Stanford for Master Degree.

I duno if I could do MEng in UCL or stop at BSc.

What do u think?
Reply 9
thetmon4
Hi Code,

Thnaks for your reply.It is very helpful.

I am actually interested in Networking and telecommunications things.

I dun like hardwares so that I chosed computing though I have finished my diploma in Electrical , Computing and Communications.

And I decided to go to UCL already.

I have a plan to do BSc there and go to Stanford for Master Degree.

I duno if I could do MEng in UCL or stop at BSc.

What do u think?

you are rich :biggrin: ,how to undego bachelor in england then departching to the US?
personally I believe you can pursue your bachelore in your home country
that would be much cheaper than UK
then with a great bachelor(from reputable university,good grades,published articles) you can apply for top university in the world and you can get funds.
if I were you I didnt go to the UK they just sack the money and throw away after graduation (I personally got addmission from australlia for master :smile: )
Reply 10
SonOfMyMom
you are rich :biggrin: ,how to undego bachelor in england then departching to the US?
personally I believe you can pursue your bachelore in your home country
that would be much cheaper than UK
then with a great bachelor(from reputable university,good grades,published articles) you can apply for top university in the world and you can get funds.
if I were you I didnt go to the UK they just sack the money and throw away after graduation (I personally got addmission from australlia for master :smile: )

Wow congratulations

I am not rich :smile: . I am an international student from Myanmar who is studying in Singapore.

UK is better than Singapore and I really do want a degree/master from Stanford.

Are you from Australia?
Reply 11
thetmon4
Wow congratulations

I am not rich :smile: . I am an international student from Myanmar who is studying in Singapore.

UK is better than Singapore and I really do want a degree/master from Stanford.

Are you from Australia?

I am from Iran got my bachelor from Iran
I also got admission for master from newbrunswick of canada but the embassy rejected me!
now i have lodged my application on australian embassy and waiting for visa
(or escaping to FREE-TUITION finland)
you have rather easy job for getting visa since you are in singapore.
Reply 12
SonOfMyMom
I am from Iran got my bachelor from Iran
I also got admission for master from newbrunswick of canada but the embassy rejected me!
now i have lodged my application on australian embassy and waiting for visa
(or escaping to FREE-TUITION finland)
you have rather easy job for getting visa since you are in singapore.

I do hope so too.
Cos' In Myanmar, Visa is harder too.

Great to hear that U get Australia offer again :smile:

Good luck this time...

Latest

Trending

Trending