The Student Room Group

Aqa Ict 1 Old Specification#####

Hey, im doing the old specification on ict 1 on friday and i was wondering if any of you guys/gals could help me out finding some examples of what can be put into these answers and is there any chance of you guys/gals having the AQA ICT 1 / ICT 5 past paper from january 2009?
Thanks

Data
Information
Knowledge

Input
Processing
Output

Malpractice

For each of the following areas, state one use of ICT (other than the Internet) and
a benefit of that use.
Your benefits must be different for each area.
(a) Education (2 marks)
(b) Medicine (2 marks)
(c) Banking (2 marks)
(d) Travel Industry (2 marks)

I just need some examples of what can be put into these answers
Senze
Hey, im doing the old specification on ict 1 on friday and i was wondering if any of you guys/gals could help me out finding some examples of what can be put into these answers and is there any chance of you guys/gals having the AQA ICT 1 / ICT 5 past paper from january 2009?
Thanks

Data
Information
Knowledge

Input
Processing
Output

Malpractice

For each of the following areas, state one use of ICT (other than the Internet) and
a benefit of that use.
Your benefits must be different for each area.
(a) Education (2 marks)
(b) Medicine (2 marks)
(c) Banking (2 marks)
(d) Travel Industry (2 marks)

I just need some examples of what can be put into these answers

data would be a list of students marks
information would be converting a list of students mark to get the average mark for the class
knowledge would be an information sales manager using a sales report to predict next months sales

malpractise is walking away from the workstation logged on leaving data vulnerable to access, using email at work for personal use, because it goes agaisnt the company code of practise they arent following proceudres

A travel company.
A travel company could use internet sites like BBC weather to check what the weather is like in other countries (1) this would help them to keep customers informed, and thus increase customer satisfaction and sales (1)

dont know about others
Reply 2
education - use of INTRAnet to distrubute notes etc, computer based learning - teaching and then questionning software, simulations e.g. flight simulator, or to perform experiments you can't do in real life such as changing the effects of gravitational fields to see how the planets move differently etc, or showing molecular level simulation of chemical reactions

medicine - database of patient reconrds, drugs and treatments, including X rays - can be distributed on hospital network (still not internet). image enhancement on scans etc

banking - keeping track of customers and transactions (similar to medicine so don't use for both), reading of mag strip/chip cards, processing of cheques using the magnetic characters (can't remember the name of them)

benefits are hopefully obvious :smile:
Reply 3
are these examples alright as the answers??

Data- Marks in an exam
Information- % of candidate that achieved grade A
knowledge- sales manager using sales summary from last year to predict next years sales.

Input: using a bar code reader to scan a bar code
Processing: calculations can be made, for example totaling up a customer's receipt
Output: a printed receipt with the customer's purchases
Reply 4
Marks in an exam are only 'data' when they are not put into context - else it is information.

So basically if you had a page full of numbers, without a title or description, it would be data. If you had names and the title 'exam results', for instance, it would be information.

As long as your information example is put into context, that's fine.

The knowledge example is spot on.

I/P/O examples are all fine. One thing to note is that in the exam, if you get asked for an example of processing where it gives you a situation, then use any information it gives you. (Ie. if the example was of a shop, then an example of processing may be a computer multiplying a product cost by number of sales to come up with a figure for revenue).

Latest

Trending

Trending