[q1]> at the request of ian,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> which uni has the best sortof lifestyle type thing?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> anybody been to more than one?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> which do do you like more?[/q1]

i'll start!

well i've only been to one, imperial, but it gives fast internet connections to people in
their rooms.

living in central london is ultra cool if you come from somewhere a long way away and you can ignor
the fact most of the people stink. and if you wanna go visit a friend in another uni, getting there
is really easy as well 'cause all the trains go to london.

what are campus unis like?

where the accomodation and lecture places are all together? is it possible to spend the whole year,
or a whole term, on campus and never leave it?

that must be awful. or is it not so bad?

adam
Reply 2
nottingham has by far the best nite life if thats what your after.......

but competition is tough, i managed to get into lse but not nottingham, fair enough!

"smish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> at the request of ian,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> which uni has the best sortof lifestyle type thing?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> anybody been to more than one?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> which do do you like more?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> adam[/q1]
Reply 3
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:22:55 +0100, "smish" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>at the request of ian,[/q1]

Eh? Is that me or someone else?

[q1]>which uni has the best sortof lifestyle type thing?[/q1]

Ah - I went to two: Reading and The UEA. Reading was cool, but more for the people and for being
close to London. I think that's what makes it a lot of the time - the uni was OK, the town was OK
and I chose to live there for 3 years afterwards so it can't be that bad. Mind you, I did then
chose to leave!

UEA - difficult as I was teacher training so didn't get to have much of a life. Now I love the Fine
City: it has just about everything that I need and is a bit of a buzzing place without being huge.

Mind you, I guess if you want lifestyle it should be a big city. A friend is going to Edinburgh in
September: I imagine that would be one of my top choices if I made them now.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Reply 4
[q2]> >at the request of ian,[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Eh? Is that me or someone else?[/q1]

Yeah, you said you wanted a "which college is the best" thread in some other thread where people
were getting annoyed at the amount of threads about ireland or something. Sorry, should've made it
more clear :smile:

adam
Reply 5
"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> UEA - difficult as I was teacher training so didn't get to have much of a life. Now I love the[/q1]
[q1]> Fine City: it has just about everything that I need and is a bit of a buzzing place without[/q1]
[q1]> being huge.[/q1]

UEA's attitude to halls is quite clinical from what I can tell from my friend who's been there for a
year. The whole idea of having a hall community, JCR, etc like we have at Leciester seems to be
absent and as a result she's not enjoyed her first year anything like as much as I have. Norwich is
still a nice city though.

Chris.
Reply 6
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:12:42 +0100, "Cynical Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> UEA - difficult as I was teacher training so didn't get to have much of a life. Now I love the[/q2]
[q2]>> Fine City: it has just about everything that I need and is a bit of a buzzing place without[/q2]
[q2]>> being huge.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>UEA's attitude to halls is quite clinical from what I can tell from my friend who's been there for[/q1]
[q1]>a year. The whole idea of having a hall community, JCR, etc like we have at Leciester seems to be[/q1]
[q1]>absent and as a result she's not enjoyed her first year anything like as much as I have.[/q1]

I could believe that - the student village is quite new at The UEA - since they gave up Fifer's Lane
a few years ago (which was an old, old RAF base they still used). I never had v much to do with the
halls anyway - we never evn gave halls a second thought.

Leicester did seem to have a good halls ethos, although, tbf, I got out of hall as soon as I could.
Couldn't stand the damned place.

[q1]>Norwich is still a nice city though.[/q1]

Nah, it's a Fine City innit.

Ian
--

Reply 7
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:53:33 +0100, "smish" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q2]>> >at the request of ian,[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Eh? Is that me or someone else?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Yeah, you said you wanted a "which college is the best" thread in some other thread where people[/q1]
[q1]>were getting annoyed at the amount of threads about ireland or something. Sorry, should've made it[/q1]
[q1]>more clear :smile:[/q1]

Ah. I forgot about that :-)

Ta

Ian
--

Reply 8
"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Leicester did seem to have a good halls ethos, although, tbf, I got out of hall as soon as I[/q1]
[q1]> could. Couldn't stand the damned place.[/q1]

I've loved my year in halls, who experience has been excellent but I could only hack it for a year
at a time, any more and it'll get a bit repressive I think.

Chris.
Reply 9
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:36:35 +0100, "Cynical Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> Leicester did seem to have a good halls ethos, although, tbf, I got out of hall as soon as I[/q2]
[q2]>> could. Couldn't stand the damned place.[/q2]

[q1]>I've loved my year in halls, who experience has been excellent but I could only hack it for a year[/q1]
[q1]>at a time, any more and it'll get a bit repressive I think.[/q1]

As first year places to stay I don't think they're necessarily all bad. They take a lot of the
hassle about trotting off to uni. As places to live beyond that, I have severe problems with
many halls. Basically, they always struck me as places where annoying, immature twats ran up and
down the corridor at 3am after drinking too much top-deck shandy. Claustraphobic, I guess: they
take away part of what I consider to be the really important stuff about going off to uni - the
living out bit.

Not that that applies to all halls. For a while I stayed in the post-grad hall at Reading - there
were two undergrads on my corridor, it was fully self-catered and had people from all over the
world. It was a wonderful place to live because it was culturally so different. Totally dislike
undergrad halls which were always pretty much the same as far as I could work out.

I could, of course, be totally wrong when talking about other unis.

Ian
--

Reply 10
[q1]> As first year places to stay I don't think they're necessarily all bad. They take a lot of the[/q1]
[q1]> hassle about trotting off to uni. As places to live beyond that, I have severe problems with many[/q1]
[q1]> halls. Basically, they always struck me as places where annoying, immature twats ran up and down[/q1]
[q1]> the corridor at 3am after drinking too much top-deck shandy. Claustraphobic, I guess: they take[/q1]
[q1]> away part of what I consider to be the really important stuff about going off to uni - the living[/q1]
[q1]> out bit.[/q1]

i'm not sure how halls can be described as claustrophobic. as for the drunken twat factor, that
would be a plus point of living in halls for me, provides endless entertainment value, wouldn't u
also get that in a house from time to time though? or is everyone in your house tee-total?

[q1]> Not that that applies to all halls. For a while I stayed in the post-grad hall at Reading - there[/q1]
[q1]> were two undergrads on my corridor, it was fully self-catered and had people from all over the[/q1]
[q1]> world. It was a wonderful place to live because it was culturally so different. Totally dislike[/q1]
[q1]> undergrad halls which were always pretty much the same as far as I could work out.[/q1]

well the UG halls where I stayed last year were pretty culturally diverse, loads of overseas
students, etc.
Reply 11
[q1]| i'm not sure how halls can be described as claustrophobic. as for the drunken twat factor, that[/q1]
[q1]| would be a plus point of living in halls for me, provides endless entertainment value, wouldn't u[/q1]
[q1]| also get that in a house from time to time though? or is everyone in your house tee-total?[/q1]

I spent my second year in a student house, and i found it incredibly claustrophobic and not a nice
experience in the slightest. I think it's just the living so close to other people which can make it
a bit strange, and i miss the fun of meeting other people. I had to make a really effort to get out
of the house, and not just stay in there last year, cos you really have to if you want a decent
social life.

i'm looking forward to moving back into halls next year, plus it will be cool to meet lots of more
new people, which is always fun. yes, even the drunken and running naked down corridors types :smile:

Who knows, i might even be one of them...

rob

Latest

Trending

Trending