The Student Room Group

Creative industries crackdown to 'disconnect file-sharers'

Persistent illegal file-sharers should be cut off from the net, an alliance of UK creative industries will tell the government on Tuesday.

The alliance wants the government to force internet service providers (ISPs) to disconnect users who ignore repeated warnings about sharing illegal content.

John Woodward, head of the UK Film Council, said illegal file-sharing was hurting film-making and risking jobs.

The coalition says more than 50% of net traffic in the UK is illegal content.

Mr Woodward said: "The growing threat of illegal P2P (peer to peer) file-sharing threatens [the creative industries], as films go unmade, DVD sales deteriorate and jobs are lost in production and distribution of content."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8044251.stm
Reply 1
I think people should stop snooping on our Internet Connections and find something more useful to spend taxpayers money on...!
Do they have to legislate for this? I guess they would have to create powers for the ISPs to be able to shut down these sites, either that, or powers for the CPS or another regulator to demand the ISP shuts down the sites.

Otherwise, of course, the law should be enforced to the greatest extent it can within reasonable resources. The strange divide here is law is made by parliament, but we all know that the majority are happy with these sites, and it's just the music business who want their closure. I guess it may be under some copyright laws, I don't know anything about I.P.

I think the sites should have been shut down long ago. If it is agaisnt the law, then it is about time they did something about it. If it isn't, it's a ticky one, and I don't know quite how it could be argued (from the perspective of democracy - the public may well want more downloads...).
Reply 3
the student room

I think the sites should have been shut down long ago. If it is agaisnt the law, then it is about time they did something about it. If it isn't, it's a ticky one, and I don't know quite how it could be argued (from the perspective of democracy - the public may well want more downloads...).

In some countries its perfectly legal to download and host a torrent file-sharing website, such as sweden. It is also perfectly legal to download from a host that is legally distributing the torrents. The ISP can do nothing; they can warn you to stop. If you ignore the warnings, they can limit if not cancel your internet for downloading far too much in general, but not for downloading illegal files.
Reply 4
what about if your don't have any cinema in your town what are you meant to do about the latest movies surely there's no other answer than the obvious go to somalia and pirate them
Reply 5
I think monitoring what information/data everyone is receiving is quite a shady move. Smells very much like a certain big brother.
Reply 6
These sorts of laws are completely unworkable and the majority of people wouldn't pay attention. Convenience will always overrule the potential punishment that may be incurred, they've being trying to penalise those who turn to 'piracy' for years and each time the technology is always one step ahead of the law.
AwesomeAnt
In some countries its perfectly legal to download and host a torrent file-sharing website, such as sweden. It is also perfectly legal to download from a host that is legally distributing the torrents. The ISP can do nothing; they can warn you to stop. If you ignore the warnings, they can limit if not cancel your internet for downloading far too much in general, but not for downloading illegal files.

yesh I see... it seems abit harsh though...

I mean, the artist makes a piece of work and decided they want to sell a limited amount of editions, someone takes the CD and dristribtes it over the world, another person makes money from the advertising of the torrent online... computer viruses are also often passed... and the artist ends up losing out as people can get it free...

I suppose that is looking at it from a Civil law view, I wonder if the Criminal law here allows such a thing...

I also wonder whether it would be the ISPs, the individual users, or the providers who would be punished. I guess it would be irrational to punish the ISPs as they only provide the virtual space, so perhaps the ISPs should be made to disclose all their sites to the gov. and then remove the requested sites, otherwise they face conviction...

allthough there are much more pressing issues currently facing parliament and the police, it wouldn't get much to get this sorted (and perhaps abit more money in the gov's pockets from the extra multimedia sales... they could even raise the tax on music and other multimedia producers for a while..)
fire2burn
These sorts of laws are completely unworkable and the majority of people wouldn't pay attention. Convenience will always overrule the potential punishment that may be incurred, they've being trying to penalise those who turn to 'piracy' for years and each time the technology is always one step ahead of the law.

I don't see how.. the ISPs could easily e closed down by police if they don't remove the sight...

internationally, all sights could be force-barred by the gov. in conjunction with ISPs
Reply 9
the student room
yesh I see... it seems abit harsh though...

I mean, the artist makes a piece of work and decided they want to sell a limited amount of editions, someone takes the CD and dristribtes it over the world, another person makes money from the advertising of the torrent online... computer viruses are also often passed... and the artist ends up losing out as people can get it free...

I suppose that is looking at it from a Civil law view, I wonder if the Criminal law here allows such a thing...

I also wonder whether it would be the ISPs, the individual users, or the providers who would be punished. I guess it would be irrational to punish the ISPs as they only provide the virtual space, so perhaps the ISPs should be made to disclose all their sites to the gov. and then remove the requested sites, otherwise they face conviction...

allthough there are much more pressing issues currently facing parliament and the police, it wouldn't get much to get this sorted (and perhaps abit more money in the gov's pockets from the extra multimedia sales... they could even raise the tax on music and other multimedia producers for a while..)

Conversely, the artist could distribute it for free himself, and make money off advertising, or ask people to donate what they can (Nine Inch Nails have done this). Or you can make your product unique, such as multiplayer games, the 'cinematic experience' in movies, etc.
Reply 10
Won't happen.

Latest

Trending

Trending