The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sithius
'

It's hard to feel sympathy reading many of these convictions...

why would anyone feel depressed reading these? Its hardly murder of the innocent.

I feel really sorry for them when I read thier last statement and how they have children etc, but as soon as I read why they had been convicted it kind of subsides, they murdured people, even multiple, and were supposed to feel sorry for them?.

Hmm I dunno it is sad but its thier own doing.
Reply 61
its funny how all the statements are thanking and asking for forgiveness from their family rather than the victims family
che666
was gonna say the same,
the best part of this thread is you, hotttttt

It's been said before (by me)
Reply 63
This is horrible reading. I can't believe some of them have been sitting on death row since the 80s, waiting to die...

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/hendrson.jpg

accidentally dropped a baby on it's dead, killing it. Panicked and buried the body. She shouldn't be on death row, she reacted stupid but i wasn't premeditated.

This is so depressing
Danny_777
No, that's not the 'key question' at all, idiot.

The reality is NOT that black and white (no pun intended :p:). It isn't EITHER an 'innate evil' or 'the system'. There are huge social considerations to take into account. For example, whites are generally more prosperous than blacks; blacks are more likely to live in ghettos etc. As a result of their social and economic situation, black are more likely to form gangs, etc, and more likely to commit crimes. As a result, blacks are more likely than whites to commit crimes, but not because of anything 'innate', but because of social and economic reality.

I meant all those factors when I said the system, idiot.

Think before you post.
Don't mess with Texas.
Reply 66
Reflexive

Think before you post.

Yeah i understood what you were saying.

I think he likes to argue with people. I've seen it on other threads.
olegirona
Yeah i understood what you were saying.

I think he likes to argue with people. I've seen it on other threads.

glad its not just me!
How is this meant to make me feel better about my life exactly?
Reply 69
theyre all just murderers. couldn't keep their anger in, i dont feel any sympathy for them at all, anyone who can kill another human deserves to be killed themself
Reply 70
This is terrible.

They're all either black or hispanic. Texas have a barbaric criminal justice system.
Reflexive

Think before you post.

I don't believe you.

'The system' has NEVER been taken to mean any of the things I mentioned; it is almost always taken to refer to the justice system. Stop trying to wriggle out of your display of idiocy.

Also, if you really did mean to encompass almost every aspect of life in 'the system' (a ridiculous proposition), then the question is entirely pointless; the answer is so painfully obvious that you may as well have saved time by not writing the post. There was never any suggestion of an 'innate evil'.
Reply 72
Danny_777
No, that's not the 'key question' at all, idiot.

The reality is NOT that black and white (no pun intended :p:). It isn't EITHER an 'innate evil' or 'the system'. There are huge social considerations to take into account. For example, whites are generally more prosperous than blacks; blacks are more likely to live in ghettos etc. As a result of their social and economic situation, black are more likely to form gangs, etc, and more likely to commit crimes. As a result, blacks are more likely than whites to commit crimes, but not because of anything 'innate', but because of social and economic reality.

Exactly. Social legacies take time to change. Middle class kids are more likely end up middle class than poor kids, who are more likely to stay poor. Black families started off at the very bottom of the ladder (after being freed) and so even now a randomly chosen American black person is more likely to be poor than an American white, due to their parents/grandparents/great grand parents etc being unfairly treated.

Crime increases as poverty increases out of desperation and perhaps also less education. Therefore there are likely to be a higher percentage of black people committing crimes (including murder) than whites and its nothing to with "innate traits" that make them 'naturally' more murderous, or to do with present racism against them (although that may be an additional small factor).

Having said that, genetics are fascinating and wont always be completely ruled out once we know more. The latest theories indicate a small band of 100 or so people came "out of Africa" around 200,000 years ago and everyone on earth is descended from this small group, apart from people who are African. So in other words, Africans evolved separately for around 200,000 years, but no one can possibly say that makes them more or less murderous... yet. :biggrin:
Reply 73
This is a pretty powerful statement from a guy who was just 17 when he killed someone in a carjacking.

"The act I committed to put me here was not just heinous, it was senseless. But the person that committed that act is no longer here - I am.

I'm not going to struggle physically against any restraints. I'm not going to shout, use profanity or make idle threats. Understand though that I'm not only upset, but I'm saddened by what is happening here tonight. I'm not only saddened, but disappointed that a system that is supposed to protect and uphold what is just and right can be so much like me when I made the same shameful mistake.

If someone tried to dispose of everyone here for participating in this killing, I'd scream a resounding, "No." I'd tell them to give them all the gift that they would not give me...and that's to give them all a second chance.

I'm sorry that I am here. I'm sorry that you're all here. I'm sorry that John Luttig died. And I'm sorry that it was something in me that caused all of this to happen to begin with.

Tonight we tell the world that there are no second chances in the eyes of justice...Tonight, we tell our children that in some instances, in some cases, killing is right.

This conflict hurts us all, there are no SIDES. The people who support this proceeding think this is justice. The people that think that I should live think that is justice. As difficult as it may seem, this is a clash of ideals, with both parties committed to what they feel is right. But who's wrong if in the end we're all victims?

In my heart, I have to believe that there is a peaceful compromise to our ideals. I don't mind if there are none for me, as long as there are for those who are yet to come. There are a lot of men like me on death row - good men - who fell to the same misguided emotions, but may not have recovered as I have.

Give those men a chance to do what's right. Give them a chance to undo their wrongs. A lot of them want to fix the mess they started, but don't know how. The problem is not in that people aren't willing to help them find out, but in the system telling them it won't matter anyway. No one wins tonight. No one gets closure. No one walks away victorious."

I think I agree with him
a man was executed the day I was born
Freud
This is horrible reading. I can't believe some of them have been sitting on death row since the 80s, waiting to die...

accidentally dropped a baby on it's dead, killing it. Panicked and buried the body. She shouldn't be on death row, she reacted stupid but i wasn't premeditated.

This is so depressing

I can't even express how much I hate capital punishment.

Reading some of these is a little harrowing to be honest.
Reply 76
US has the best justice system. People should remember that these inmates go through a lengthy appeal process and many factors are taken into account-the death penalty is not imposed lightly. DNA evidence is used to exclude the possibility of an innocent being executed. The higher number of blacks and hispanics executed is because they commit alot of crimes despite their relatively low population. Blacks commit most violent sporadic crimes.
Reply 77
Please see an old thread of mine. Blacks commit 90% of interracial crime

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17743120#post17743120
Reply 78

This person is going to die because of an accident...this is why you shuldnt have the death penalty.

Have i read it wrong?
Reply 79
"[Remaining portion of statement omitted due to profanity.]"

Hehehe. What a way to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending