The Student Room Group

NLP, Transderivation Searchs, Pattern Interrupts Etc

This is mainly aimed at people who would have quite a reasonable understanding of Psychology or have a decent interest in it.

Ok so recently I watched a few of Derren Browns videos and was very very intrigued about how they worked, most notably when he went to the Dog Tracks and the Russian Scam where he got a guys wallet and house keys.

So naturally I went off to try and find out how he did these things and found a video supposedly explaining them. In the video the guy talked about how Derren would "Pattern Interrupt", which is a sub-conscious pattern carried out by people in every day life, such as a hand-shake and try and use these sub-conscious patterns to induce trance like states where he could manipulate the people involved.

Once he had interrupted the pattern he would then place a suggestion into the peoples mind, one that would not occur to them as unusual to conscious mind but would be strong enough to incur the desired effect in the sub-conscious, thus provoking the response he wanted without the person even realising they were doing it.

The same thing can be done with transderivational searches, although (from my understanding) you need an initial light trance state to be induced first. Basically what this is, is asking a question such as "You forgot, didn't you?" On the surface this seems like a normal question but when the person tries to respond they realise it has not been specified what it is exactly they forgot and so their brain tries to search for a logical answer.

Now my question are, at the risk of coming off as...I dunno, a bit dodgy xD are: How easy is it to actually induce these sorts of trances in a person and to then make suggestions to them. Is there any other techniques you can use that will produce similar effects? Where can I learn about more of the techniques Derren Brown uses (Not neccessarily related to hypnosis but just more general psychology related to it) and finally can any of these techniques actually be used in any real life situations that could benefit myself?

I also came across the term "NLP" when trying to find out about these things, which means Nuero-Linguistic Programming and after a brief read through Wikipedia seems like a bit of a false science which made me question the ligitimacy of the rest of the things I read about. Anyone know if pattern interrupts etc actually work?
*subscribes*

I'm also really interested, if anyone can help us?

Latest

Trending

Trending