The Student Room Group
aurelija
hello:smile:

I need some help. I got two offers: one from Goldsmiths (design) and other from Aberystwyth(Art and History of art). These are completely different. And I don’t know which would be better. Maybe, there is someone who studies at Goldsmiths or at Aberystwyth..and could advise me. Please..:erm:

What you really need to decide is if you want to do design or art history since these two subjects are very different and will lead to different career paths. That will make the decision for you. :yep:
Reply 2
oh I know that, but I also think that uni means a lot. And it's atmosphere is really important for me. so maybe there someone who can tell something about tutors.. other students..or university's walls:biggrin: I read about the courses at uni's sites, but what is written isn't exact what is in the real life. so maybe there is someone studying at Goldsmiths or Aberystwyth (?)
Reply 3
to kittensmitens: may I ask you; why you've chosen Chelsea College of Art and Design?
aurelija
to kittensmitens: may I ask you; why you've chosen Chelsea College of Art and Design?

Why I chose Chelsea....so many reasons:
-they offered the course I wanted (MA textiles) with a focus I liked (design-focused with an emphasis on environmental and social responsibility)
-I wanted to be in London because I'm used to living in big cities (I'm from Toronto) and would go insane in a small town, plus there are a lot more industry opportunities for design in a big city like London
-they have a great international reputation
-high standard of work, they really push you to work hard individually, but it is still a relatively small and friendly environment compared to a place like CSM
-and uhhh.....my other top choices (CSM & ECA) rejected me so the decision was easy :P

In terms of tutors, I wouldn't base your decision too much on what others say about this. This is very subjective to the individual, I know I had some tutors that I really liked that others hated and vice-versa during my undergrad. Really, the primary deciding factor should be the course and whether you feel like you will be learning about things that are interesting to you and relevant to your future goals. Second should be, can you see yourself living in this city? eg. I had offers from some schools in small towns (eg. UCA Farnham, WSA) but found it so hard to see myself living in a tiny little village with a population of 40,000 (that's smaller than my old Uni!!). I don't know anything about Goldsmiths or ...the other one (bahahaha I can't even spell it) but hopefully I've given you some insight on the decision making process!
Reply 5
Oh..you helped me very much, psychologically :smile: thanx:kissing2: When I was making my desion where to apply, I was confused. There are so many courses and so many universities... I only knew that I want (after graduation) work smthg related with art. First I applied also to UCL, but then, when I got letter asking protfolio, I thought I won't be accepted(and I thought 15 pounds for a try not worth:biggrin: ) and now I am a bit sorry about that(but thats off topic)
Where I could imagine myself? I think everywhere. I am from relatively small city, but I can imagine myself as well in a bigger and in a smaller. London has much to offer, but as well living there is much more costly, especially when you study arts
aurelija
Oh..you helped me very much, psychologically :smile: thanx:kissing2: When I was making my desion where to apply, I was confused. There are so many courses and so many universities... I only knew that I want (after graduation) work smthg related with art. First I applied also to UCL, but then, when I got letter asking protfolio, I thought I won't be accepted(and I thought 15 pounds for a try not worth:biggrin: ) and now I am a bit sorry about that(but thats off topic)
Where I could imagine myself? I think everywhere. I am from relatively small city, but I can imagine myself as well in a bigger and in a smaller. London has much to offer, but as well living there is much more costly, especially when you study arts

You should try to have at least a rough idea of what area of art interests you most. There are many many different fields and paths you could take (product design, graphic design, advertising, fine art, art history, fashion etc etc.). Each will be quite different, and emphasize different skills. Have you done an art foundation course?
There are many courses and universities for art in Britain indeed (I was quite surprised myself too...I am from Canada and we really only have a handful of options for art and design). However, there are only a few that are truly brilliant, while others are good to mediocre, so it is important to do your research. I believe most of the best ones are in London, but again, different schools are good for different areas, so it depends what area you want to focus on.
Reply 7
Maybe, it would be the best way for me to take a gap year and to find out what I really want to do, but it takes a year..and what to do during this period? To find a job?(but economic crisis) By the way, how are you going to fund the living costs? (That’s other my problem)
I haven't taken foundation course, but I have finished one art school where I was taught traditional-academically way. It wasn't a uni or somthg like that I only learned how to paint still lives, architectural details and heads made from gypsum. And we also tried different traditional graphic techniques. but I think I am prepared for further studies.
I know what I would love to do-illustrations, but I would like to do it traditionally, by hand, without computers, so I think that I don't need any course. But there is one more problem-without a degree in art no employer would accept you. So learning something related with art, I can gain dissimilar experience, maybe finding something more challenging and as well getting a degree.
Yes, I do agree that a gap year is a long time, and if you don't have a degree it will be very difficult for you to find a job. Also if you are not doing anything art-related during your gap year you might not have a better idea of what you want to do at the end of the year than you do now!

It sounds to me like you have a background in traditional fine art, and would like to continue that. In that respect, something like graphic or product design would probably not be for your because it relies heavily on computers, which you don't seem to be keen on :smile:. Knowing this, I would probably recommend a fine art course as opposed to a design course, so maybe our of your two options I would go with Aberystwyth (but keep in mind I know very little about both courses). Or maybe you could try to get into an illustration course through clearing if anything good is still available if you enjoy that.

As for how I am funding my studies, I have been working full-time for the past two years and saving so that i can fund my Masters abroad. Also some help from family. Initially after my BA I just wanted to work for a while to get a different experience/perspective, and then once I decided to go back for an MA (and saw the tuition fees) I thought "well....I'd better keep working!" lol
Oh and are you from the UK?

Latest