The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i hope the paper is as easy as jan 2007. 100%!
Reply 181
i am suddenly really scared.
:frown:
Reply 182
Question 7, June 2008

A find the median question, but why do you use the second?

14x2(0x<1)\frac{1}{4}x^2 (0 \le x < 1)

120x4+15(1x2)\frac{1}{20}x^4 + \frac{1}{5} (1 \le x \le 2)
kat_ie
i am suddenly really scared.
:frown:

please don't be!!!! you know we are all going to do just fine, mostly the type of people on tsr are those who worry about stuff to much and come out with pretty good marks anyway!!

just chill out this evening and go to bed early!!

oh yeah and good luck!!

xx
Can someone tell me which paper has sampling distribution? I can't find another one other than the one about 5p and 10P coins+median...
Lehane
Question 7, June 2008

A find the median question, but why do you use the second?

14x2(0x<1)\frac{1}{4}x^2 (0 \le x < 1)

120x4+15(1x2)\frac{1}{20}x^4 + \frac{1}{5} (1 \le x \le 2)

work out the area for he first part of it, using the upper limit (1) and you will see it is equal to 0.25 and because the median is where it equals 0.5 then it must lie in the second region.
please can any one help me with this question??????
(as i hope i have helped quite a few of you!)

on a sampling distribution question...
basically what is the mode of

0 1 2

becasue they are all equal...

or do you just do a third each if you get me??

thanks guys
Reply 187
Ok i have been trying to crack this topica all day and can do every topic apart from hypothesis testing now. It seems to change in every question and theres no set way of doing them. Can someboyd give me an idea or say a list of things i should do for each hypothesis testing question. It just seems every time i try one they are done in a different way and i can't get my head round it :frown:
Reply 188
victoria13
work out the area for he first part of it, using the upper limit (1) and you will see it is equal to 0.25 and because the median is where it equals 0.5 then it must lie in the second region.

Ohh! So you solve each one and find where 0.5, or 0.25/0.75 lie. Thank you!!
Lehane
Ohh! So you solve each one and find where 0.5, or 0.25/0.75 lie. Thank you!!

exactly!!
sharp357
Ok i have been trying to crack this topica all day and can do every topic apart from hypothesis testing now. It seems to change in every question and theres no set way of doing them. Can someboyd give me an idea or say a list of things i should do for each hypothesis testing question. It just seems every time i try one they are done in a different way and i can't get my head round it :frown:

Give us some specific examples..I'll try and help
Reply 191
TheLoneRanger
Give us some specific examples..I'll try and help

How about this paper, question 5 http://www.carlgauss.co.uk/PDFs/A-Level%20Papers/S2/S2%20-%202008%20Jan%20Paper.pdf

Just so you know, i always get the distribution right (binomial or poisson) and always get the H0 and H1 correct but after that i get confused. I also know when its a single tailed or two tailed test.
Reply 192
So here i would say X ~ Bin (40, 0.3)

H0 = 0.3 H1 > 0.3

But i usually get the critical region wrong and don't whether to accept or reject the null hypothesis
damn m scared
sharp357
How about this paper, question 5 http://www.carlgauss.co.uk/PDFs/A-Level%20Papers/S2/S2%20-%202008%20Jan%20Paper.pdf

Just so you know, i always get the distribution right (binomial or poisson) and always get the H0 and H1 correct but after that i get confused. I also know when its a single tailed or two tailed test.

Firstly, we know it must be a Binomial: X~B(40,0.3)

P(X>= 18) = 1- P(X<=17)

Find out what that gives
Note: The sign of the H1 is *very* important always follow that direction for later calculation
Reply 196
TheLoneRanger
Firstly, we know it must be a Binomial: X~B(40,0.3)

P(X>= 18) = 1- P(X<=17)

Find out what that gives

Ok so 1 - 0.9680 = 0.032
Reply 197
and am i doing that first bit to see the probability of 18 having a diameter bigger than 4cm?
Reply 198
TheLoneRanger
Note: The sign of the H1 is *very* important always follow that direction for later calculation

you still there?
Sorry for the delay, Give me a mo to type up something a lot more detalied :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending