The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
victoria13
if you give me your email i will send them to you... not to sure how you upload them...

Go to "Manage Attachments" and upload the paper through there?
KeineHeldenMehr
^^'tis fine.

ok, ermm...

hypothesis question, sometimes, really unsure what probability it's suppose to be:

ok, firstly i know it's a binomial...

with:

H0:p=0.1H_0: p=0.1
H1:p<or>0.1H_1: p< or > 0.1 (not sure on either)

but that isnt the only problem...
the approximation is fine.

N(25, 22.5)

just unsure about the probabilty..
is it P (X<40) or P(X40)P(X\leq 40) or P(X=40) and what indicates this in the quoted question?

I would say it's probabilit of not equal to 0.1 for the alternative. And it's P(X40)P(X\geq 40) cause 40 is bigger than the mean (250 x 0.1)
And you know that the grade boundaries are kinda high for an A, I've seen 3.. 2 were 65 and one was 63.
can anyone help me.. i havent done core maths in a long time (gap year)

just trying to remember, what are the different ways of solving quadratic equations? because this usually comes up when we need to find the median from a cdf..

quadratic formula is one, completing the sqaure is another and factorising is the third? can anyone link me somewhere or tell me how to do these because ive completeley forgot.. just need refreshing. Cheers.
Waterstorm
I would say it's probability of not equal to 0.1 for the alternative. And it's P(X40)P(X\geq 40) cause 40 is bigger than the mean (250 x 0.1)

hmm...i thought we only used not equal for two tailed test.
KeineHeldenMehr
hmm...i thought we only used not equal for two tailed test.

I'm sure it is a two tailed test. It's saying 10% of people can tell the difference, and they got 40/250, and they want to see if that is different to the 10%, there's no direction involved.
Ali M
can anyone help me.. i havent done core maths in a long time (gap year)

just trying to remember, what are the different ways of solving quadratic equations? because this usually comes up when we need to find the median from a cdf..

quadratic formula is one, completing the sqaure is another and factorising is the third? can anyone link me somewhere or tell me how to do these because ive completeley forgot.. just need refreshing. Cheers.

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/A-Level-maths-tutorials/Edexcel/C1/quadratic_functions/completing_the_square/completing_the_square.php

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/A-Level-maths-tutorials/Edexcel/C1/quadratic_functions/contents.php
Reply 49
victoria13
ok see if this works...

Thanks a lot
Waterstorm
I'm sure it is a two tailed test. It's saying 10% of people can tell the difference, and they got 40/250, and they want to see if that is different to the 10%, there's no direction involved.

true... i agree with you, mark scheme isnt very convincing due to it being handwritten, however they go with p>0.1, dunno how.
KeineHeldenMehr
true... i agree with you, mark scheme isnt very convincing due to it being handwritten, however they go with p>0.1, dunno how.

Really? That's kinda weird seeing as they mention nothing about increasing.
Quick question, which I always get wrong. When the question says 'Find the probablity that it is less than 4'. Are you supposed to include 4 (ie. 0,1,2,3,4), or not. Alternatively, what about when it's more than 4?
Mother_Russia
Quick question, which I always get wrong. When the question says 'Find the probablity that it is less than 4'. Are you supposed to include 4 (ie. 0,1,2,3,4), or not. Alternatively, what about when it's more than 4?

It's saying less than 4.. so no, don't include 4. Same with 'more than 4'. If it said '4 or less/more', then include it.
Waterstorm
It's saying less than 4.. so no, don't include 4. Same with 'more than 4'. If it said '4 or less/more', then include it.

kl thanks!
Reply 56
KeineHeldenMehr
whole bloody week been distracted with BGT, and now the revision will kick in today!!!

:woo: haha same as probably everyone else lol
Reply 57
yh "not equal to" is defo for two tailed tests.

you pick greater than or less than depending on whether the result is greater than or less that the probabililty. In this case the probability is 0.1 and the sample gives 40/250 students, which is more than 10%. So you are seeing if the probability has increased or not. The result given 40/250 cant show you that the probability has decreased!

So you check whether getting greater than or equal to 40 out of 250 is a significant result

Does anybody know where i can get a copy of the syllabus?
Hi does anyone know where to find Jan Jun 03, Jan Jun 02 Question paper and markscheme other than freeexampaper.com? I am trying to download them but I have already waited for half an hour!
sksflipper
yh "not equal to" is defo for two tailed tests.

you pick greater than or less than depending on whether the result is greater than or less that the probabililty. In this case the probability is 0.1 and the sample gives 40/250 students, which is more than 10%. So you are seeing if the probability has increased or not. The result given 40/250 cant show you that the probability has decreased!

So you check whether getting greater than or equal to 40 out of 250 is a significant result

Does anybody know where i can get a copy of the syllabus?

thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending