The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It annoys the hell out of me trying to read it >.<
Reply 21
You answered it yourself. Text speak - is for texting because its quick, convenient and saves on having to send two texts instead of one with the same message.

On a forum, if you type in text, then it just shows how lazy you are.
Joel-M
Yeah to you, why should be all speak properly just to make you happy?

Yes, because I am the only person on the entire Student Room board who is annoyed about it and every single person here types properly just to keep me satisfied.
Deutsch_Beth
Plus is states in the TSR rules that txt speak shouldn't be used, I believe.

This. Plus it's ******* annoying. I always type fully even when I text. I dunno why, habit I suppose. I can understand btw, tbh that sort of thing, but when half the letters are missing, it's just a bit silly. :o:
I don't think everyone will know text language, unless you've been used to seeing it for years. Truth is, it's senseless. If you can write properly, then you should type properly. Is it really that much of a struggle to type full words?
Reply 25
Joseph90
I find text speak difficult and irritating to read. I rarely use it even when I write a text. I always write every single word in full on my mobile in T9. It's not hard and the English language is your friend. It just makes everything easier for everyone if words are written properly in the correct form. Embrace and love the world's most universal language because it is a brilliant thing. Txt spk is da demolishin uv it.

i love the english language.. in part because of it's dynamic nature.
your statement makes you sound like a foolish elitist; it is evolution, not demolition.
Reply 26
Age_of_Innocence
Yes, because I am the only person on the entire Student Room board who is annoyed about it and every single person here types properly just to keep me satisfied.

That best you could come up with?
Reply 27
It's bloody annoying to read, and makes you look like an uneducated idiot. It's also annoying seeing people get their "your, you're, their, they're, there" mixed up and then saying it doesn't matter because they're typing online. Well if you can't get it right online, you obviously don't ever get it right. What's so hard about typing one extra letter, it takes an extra half second (if you're really, really slow). What really, really, really annoys me is seeing people use absolutely pointless text speak, like 1nce, 2ce (I've actually seen this done before), and countless others.
Reply 28
1. Against the rules.
2. It makes you look retarded.
3. It IS retarded.
4. It makes a mockery of the English language, something I take offense to.
5. It's actually harder to read than correct writing.
6. It takes all of about 2 extra seconds to write correctly. It makes you look incredibly lazy or stupid. People say 'it doesn't matter' but that's just a pathetic excuse for being too stupid or lazy to do it properly.
Reply 29
Oh, and as a side note, put this in all of your signatures :biggrin:

Stop "1337-speak"!
Steveo92
Oh, and as a side note, put this in all of your signatures :biggrin:

Stop "1337-speak"!

No.

Spoiler

Reply 31
Because it amounts to laziness. I abhor laziness.
Reply 32
ick, i dont like it at all. i'm guilty of rarely using capital letters (pure laziness!) and of using things like btw.. but when every vowel is taken out of words and words are replaced with numbers... euch no thanks. it looks messy, it looks stupid & its really hard to read sometimes. especially for people who don't use English as a first language.. i'm sure there are some on here!
Reply 33
oookkk then... seems most people think its annoying... ohwell.. i dont see how it makes any1 lazy though, cos i could then say everyone is lazy just because they are sitting at a computer on the internet.. its just more convineint and saves writing so much..wich if its understandable makes it quicker to read..
There's just no point in it, why spell words incorrectly on purpose? It's a really poor form of communication, particularly for a website open to the public there's just no need for it. I don't even text using text language, that's how much I hate text language.
Joel-M
That best you could come up with?

Had to be said, since you seem so incapable of seeing the fallacy of your original statement..
It's annoying!!!
Reply 37
XxCalxX
oookkk then... seems most people think its annoying... ohwell.. i dont see how it makes any1 lazy though, cos i could then say everyone is lazy just because they are sitting at a computer on the internet.. its just more convineint and saves writing so much..wich if its understandable makes it quicker to read..

How the hell does dropping one letter in 'which' and two letters in 'anyone' make it more convenient? It literally saves about half a second. It's pure laziness, and regardless of your intelligence, it makes you LOOK stupid.

Also, it's against the rules of this forum which you've agreed to when becoming a member so if you carry on you have no right to complain when you get banned.
Reply 38
XxCalxX

Assuming you're trying to type "properly", I must say your English is really bad - and I'd say that's an effect of using text-speak.
Because you come across as having an IQ of 40? Because it's annoying? Because "wid" doesn't even sound anything like "with"?

Why not prove you're human and type like one? We're not all monkeys at typewriters here.

Latest