The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not fussed when it's an actual text, but the fact you're not paying for every post you make, have a fully functional keyboard and in theory an unlimited character limit, using text speak just seems so lazy.
I find it annoying and half the time I can't understand what has been written.
Tbh, btw etc. I don't mind, and i'm not too bothered about spelling errors when they're not deliberate. However, text speak takes me twice the amount of time to read and understand.
Reply 122
I learnt the queen's English so I could speak and write in it, not so that I would have to take time to try and understand some bastardised version of it.
now i don't use text language, but i am sivierly dyslexic so sometimes words might be shorter or something if i havent queite worked out how to spell it, but i find text language really hard to read, alot harder than normally spelt words! however, my latest neg rep on here was 'OMG LEARN TO SPELL YOU ARE SUCH A CHAV!' but yeh i hate text speek its to differcult to understand for me persenally.
Because it's hard to read and really, really irritating.
Reply 125
Sorry if somebody's already said this but isn't it just because the whole point of 'txt speak' is to save time/number of characters in text messages? So wrd fings lyk dis r kinda poyntles?
Reply 126
*Hannah
Sorry if somebody's already said this but isn't it just because the whole point of 'txt speak' is to save time/number of characters in text messages? So wrd fings lyk dis r kinda poyntles?

yeah but no one gets what i was saying in the thread topic... I don't write like that..everyone thinks by text speak i mean extreme- lyk dis shrtend wrds wich i agre r anoyin tu wrk owt..

well all i meant was using 'u' or maybe writing words a bit shorter but still understandable- like puting 'ur' 'some1' 'any1' '2morro' '2day' etc... those words are easy to work out surely? and slight spelling mistakes- i have seen loads of people moaning about other posters making spelling or grammer mistakes..
Reply 127
XxCalxX
yeah but no one gets what i was saying in the thread topic... I don't write like that..everyone thinks by text speak i mean extreme- lyk dis shrtend wrds wich i agre r anoyin tu wrk owt..

well all i meant was using 'u' or maybe writing words a bit shorter but still understandable- like puting 'ur' 'some1' 'any1' '2morro' '2day' etc... those words are easy to work out surely? and slight spelling mistakes- i have seen loads of people moaning about other posters making spelling or grammer mistakes..

I don't report it I'm not that petty but it is against forum rules in any form. So there it is really. Don't use unnecessary txt speech, it's not your first language so I'm sure you'll manage. :tongue:

TSR divine command system:

5) Post in the English language unless in an area where it is acceptable to do otherwise (a language society thread or the languages academic help forum.) Outside these areas always provide a translation. No text speak.

I'm not trying to be a rule judge, but it certainly explains why some people get upset.
Reply 128
It makes you look like a chav.
Reply 129
there wasn't any need for the neg rep people.. i was only giving my opinion cos it seems some people pick up on tiny mistakes or a few shortened words.. i wasnt talking about extreme text language...I completely agree that thats annoying... dont see why people leaving neg rep calling me names etc.. :frown:
Reply 130
XxCalxX
there wasn't any need for the neg rep people.. i was only giving my opinion cos it seems some people pick up on tiny mistakes or a few shortened words.. i wasnt talking about extreme text language...I completely agree that thats annoying... dont see why people leaving neg rep calling me names etc.. :frown:

Report them, then you get to see who gets warnings on this thread (at least in theory), assuming the mods decide calling you a illiterate cretin or whatever is offensive enuf. If they are offensive that is. I agree you don't deserve negs: forget about them they r pricks. :smile:
Reply 131
JMonkey
Report them, then you get to see who gets warnings, assuming the mods decide calling you a illiterate cretin or whatever is offensive enuf. If they're offensive that is. I agree you don't deserve negs forget about them they r pricks. :smile:

nah im not gonna report anyone.. i just dont think i deserved to be called a to**er?? do girls even get called to**ers??? stupid idiot..:mad:
Reply 132
XxCalxX
nah im not gonna report anyone.. i just dont think i deserved to be called a to**er?? do girls even get called to**ers??? stupid idiot..:mad:

meh you're right if they'd of said **** (vagina) then maybe. I draw the line at the classic idiot +.

Ie anything => than the word idiot for offensiveness. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending