The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham and cliques?

I've read on a some uni review websites that Durham has a lot of cliques and that it can be difficult to fit in, especially if you're not particularly sporty (similar to the Oxbridge reputation). So I applied to Collingwood to avoid this but on the residential open day, I found that most people did tend to stick in groups and not really venture outside those groups very much. I put this down to the fact that most of us had never met each other before and so might be a bit nervous...but I've now spoken to some exstudents and theyve told me that Durham does have cliques and that 'it's just a matter of finding the right one' (!) So I'd just like to get some more opinions on this, any ideas? Thanksxxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All universities will have 'cliques', you aren't gonna be best friends with everyone there even in a community atmosphere like a college. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and you can still be friends with other people, but of course you will end up mostly hanging out with the same people.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I reckon all unis are like that to some extent, but I don't think it's really much of a problem.

There are plenty of unathletic sloths like me. :p:
Well, at about 100% rah it's not so much a clique as a croquet tournament.
Reply 4
~*Claire*~
I've read on a some uni review websites that Durham has a lot of cliques and that it can be difficult to fit in, especially if you're not particularly sporty (similar to the Oxbridge reputation). So I applied to Collingwood to avoid this but on the residential open day, I found that most people did tend to stick in groups and not really venture outside those groups very much. I put this down to the fact that most of us had never met each other before and so might be a bit nervous...but I've now spoken to some exstudents and theyve told me that Durham does have cliques and that 'it's just a matter of finding the right one' (!) So I'd just like to get some more opinions on this, any ideas? Thanksxxx

Oxbridge has that reputation? interesting.

It'll be fine - some people may be like that but most won't (as with everywhere) and if you are friendly enough you will fit in nicely.
oooh i applied to collingwood as well and found that on the open days as well... it seemed that people were already together and then there were just a few (like me) who didnt really know anyone. i am sure they didnt know each other but it felt that way. what course are you for btw? i really hope that there aren't loads of cliques because that would be bad... especially as i am not particularly sporty or anything!!! oh i am scared now :frown:
Reply 6
I'm (hopefully) going to Collingwood...and on the open day I did notice people sticking together...but I think that was just because of the nervousness of not knowing anybody and socializing, so as soon as you found somebody to speak to you stuck with them. Well...I did. :o:

I guess there will be cliques, but I think this will be the case in many universities, just as it is in many schools.

necessarily benevolent

Says the prospective St. Andrews student...:p:
MrGumby
Says the prospective St. Andrews student...:p:

Wrong...so wrong.

Spoiler

Reply 8
necessarily benevolent

and you would know because? :curious:
Reply 9
my bro went, and its not as bad as it sounds in terms of cliques. collingwood is big isnt it? my brother went st aidens, which is medium/small maybe, he said that was right size but could be easier to make friends at a bigger place.
I didn't stick to people on the open day, although I do wander back to them often. When you get there people are - for the best part - gonna know practically no-one, so everyone has a chance to get into cliques if they even did exist. My word of warning for anyone, though, is that in freshers I suspect a lot of people will make friends quickly and then, yeah, you can get left on the outside if you isolate yourself.
Reply 11
Collingwood is a pretty gash college anyway. Come to Grey!
~*Claire*~
I've read on a some uni review websites that Durham has a lot of cliques and that it can be difficult to fit in, especially if you're not particularly sporty (similar to the Oxbridge reputation).

total rubbish, I am the least sporty person in the world and I found many people to be friends with. It might not seem like it sometimes, but the cliques are more of a vocal minority, honestly!
Reply 13
OP were you privately schooled?
Tufts
OP were you privately schooled?

They went to Chester Catholic High. Any school with "catholic" in sounds posh :biggrin:
MyNameIsDave
They went to Chester Catholic High. Any school with "catholic" in sounds posh :biggrin:

Well, since we're being stalkers, it appears to be a comp.
Reply 16
MyNameIsDave

Hahahahaha first time I've heard that! Anyway the amount of girls who got pregnant in chs pretty much destroys any potential 'posh' reputation we might have had.
Reply 17
Itchynscratchy
total rubbish, I am the least sporty person in the world and I found many people to be friends with. It might not seem like it sometimes, but the cliques are more of a vocal minority, honestly!

Good to hear :smile: I'm more into arty things than sports (though used to play netball) so was just a bit worried when I heard that it can be harder to meet people if you don't do stuff like rowing
Reply 18
~*Claire*~

People on an open day, who hadn't met anyone else there before tended to stick in small groups? How astonishing.

Everywhere has cliques, that is why crazy things like 'friendship groups' exist where you have shared interests. The whole sporty thing is a pile of ****, and despite Tufts assertions it doesn't make a jot of difference whether or not you were privately schooled.
Reply 19
MrGumby
I'm (hopefully) going to Collingwood...and on the open day I did notice people sticking together...but I think that was just because of the nervousness of not knowing anybody and socializing, so as soon as you found somebody to speak to you stuck with them. Well...I did. :o:

I guess there will be cliques, but I think this will be the case in many universities, just as it is in many schools.

That's what I thought while was there but then I heard that Durham can be clique-y and worried that it would still be like that if/when I get there.

Latest