The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aha I think I could have liked Film & TV Drama.. however I would have probably relaxed in class and sat and watched the film rather than doing any work :P
Reply 2
all essays from the language section get referred to the principal assessor if i remember rightly. barely anyone does them.
Reply 3
There's a class this year doing the film bit, I wish I'd got to do that last year :frown:
Reply 4
Dado Prso
all essays from the language section get referred to the principal assessor if i remember rightly. barely anyone does them.

You remember rightly.
Reply 5
No we havn't done any, but someone in my class decided to give one of the language questions a bash in our prelim. She was ripped to shreds by the head of English...
I'm doing film this year - we studied Cabaret, directed by Bob Fosse. I really enjoyed studying this - and essay writing on film is especially easy because most of the class watch a lot more films than they read books, so without realising it we are more familiar with cinematic techniques and stuff. The class was really enthusiastic about it - I mean reading a play vs watching a movie, I know which one I'd choose! I've got some of my best marks for film essays :smile:
Reply 7
I'm also doing film this year- we studied the Truman show
Reply 8
last year we did hitchcock's 'psycho' as part of the film section
and madly enough our class didn't study any novels
Dado Prso

:eek: What are people scared of doing those questions then? lol
Reply 10
I never understood why we are told not to attempt the Mass Media and Language sections. If you know a film or article really well and the right question comes up then why should you be any more inclined to try and attempt a non-fitting section A,B and C question when you are guaranteed to gain less marks? If it's so bad to do these questions then why in hell does the SQA put them in there anyway? To test whether we listened in class?
Reply 11
Enzo-259
I never understood why we are told not to attempt the Mass Media and Language sections. If you know a film or article really well and the right question comes up then why should you be any more inclined to try and attempt a non-fitting section A,B and C question when you are guaranteed to gain less marks? If it's so bad to do these questions then why in hell does the SQA put them in there anyway? To test whether we listened in class?

Totally agree :yes:
Reply 12
Enzo-259

I'd assume it's because of all the terms and techniques associated with films and linguistics which you'd need to be taught. Just like you'd get taught about stage directions, key scenes, characterisation, verse form, imagery etc for the other three sections.
Reply 13
As an avid movie lover and actor(I take drama but wasn't sure what word to use:p:) I feel that I could safely write an essay on any aspects pertaining to various movies that I have seen. For example: In the 2004 paper, the very first question in the Mass Media section would almost certainly be something I could write better than any of the questions in the Prose section. I would much rather have a chance of getting 21/25 in that than get a lower mark from going by my school rules. As far as I have been told, if you do a question in those categories, your paper can be disqualified regardless of the quality of the report.(At least, it's up to the school, and in my case that would most likely happen) So far this year, I have come to the conclusion that Int 2/Higher English is easily the most badly taught subject and really needs to be revised. I find it ridiculous that you are not allowed to do a creative writing essay even though some people(myself included) are far better at producing an interesting short story than regurgitating a bunch of quotes and notes on a book that I read earlier that year! I also find it to be a joke that you are not allowed to do an essay on the topic that would most suitably show your skill in the English language if that topic includes film or Language techniques.

Oh well, there's my rant(and mini essay:p:over)
Enzo-259
As far as I have been told, if you do a question in those categories, your paper can be disqualified regardless of the quality of the report.(At least, it's up to the school, and in my case that would most likely happen)

Huh? Your school never sees your paper. You could write twenty pages of profanity and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. You can answer whatever you like in the exam, but answering on the language and media sections is often inadvisable if you haven't been taught it (not for everyone, but in most cases).

Consequently, a substantial portion of your following rant is nonsense.
Reply 15
Hmm, well in that case our school lied to us. We were told that if we did a question outside of A,B and C that the SQA would report back to the headmaster once the essays had been marked and it would be up to the school as to whether the paper was disqualified or not. The same thing-according to our school- is supposed to happen if you include profanity(outside of quotations) or messages to the marker. If I'm wrong then I guess that makes me feel better about the SQA and worse about my school. :s-smilie:
Enzo-259
Hmm, well in that case our school lied to us. We were told that if we did a question outside of A,B and C that the SQA would report back to the headmaster once the essays had been marked and it would be up to the school as to whether the paper was disqualified or not.

Your school's trying to scare you. :p: They may well find out when the component marks come back (when you get your results), but there's nothing they can do.

The same thing-according to our school- is supposed to happen if you include profanity(outside of quotations) or messages to the marker.

Oh, I daresay if you included something overtly offensive, then you'd be into trouble (although I don't think it would necessarily take that form). Strictly speaking, you'd probably be committing a minor crime.
Enzo-259
The same thing-according to our school- is supposed to happen if you include profanity(outside of quotations) or messages to the marker.

In my standard grades, I wrote messages to the markers in an attempt to cheer them up :biggrin:
Reply 18
My teacher is a media teacher. He taught us Braveheart this year. I didn't do it for the exam though.
Reply 19
C274
I'd assume it's because of all the terms and techniques associated with films and linguistics which you'd need to be taught. Just like you'd get taught about stage directions, key scenes, characterisation, verse form, imagery etc for the other three sections.

You still write about all the mentioned above in a film and tv question the only new thing we were taught was camera angles and this other word can't remember what it's called.

Latest

Trending

Trending