The Student Room Group

help needed please (IMPORTANT)

I am taking the new history edexcel a level for history and i have a number of problems;
1) the impression i get from school is that we really have to know like nothing at all about the period (for unit 1 ) and that its just breadth - they say one bit of evidence for each point which means i could revise the whole history unit 1 in like a day at the - this seems wrong but please confirm
2) i am doing the spanish civil war and again my school seem to think that the only question that we can be asked is;
why did the cw start,
why did nationalist win
again thats like nothing>!? what other things could they ask us??
I am really stressing out!!
+ I have awful notes on spain (if anyone knows any good places, or has notes, would be extremely greatful)
thanks
boris
Boris A
I am taking the new history edexcel a level for history and i have a number of problems;

1) the impression i get from school is that we really have to know like nothing at all about the period (for unit 1 ) and that its just breadth - they say one bit of evidence for each point which means i could revise the whole history unit 1 in like a day at the - this seems wrong but please confirm
2) i am doing the spanish civil war and again my school seem to think that the only question that we can be asked is;
why did the cw start,
why did nationalist win
again thats like nothing>!? what other things could they ask us??
I am really stressing out!!
+ I have awful notes on spain (if anyone knows any good places, or has notes, would be extremely greatful)
thanks
boris

1. I did the old edexcel spec but it hasnt really changed that much, I studied Henry VII, and I can tell you that even though it is a wide breath of time (24 years) you cant revise everything in one day u need to look at the different themes e.g. economic, social, political aspects.

2. They might be right on this point though, when I did German Unification, we knew that the question was going to ask why was Germany united but the question may have a different slant like based on economics etc. Also when I studied the Restored Bourbons for A2 there was only going to be two things they were going to ask; either an analysis of Louis XVIII's reign or an analysis of the causes of the 1830 revolution. They dont choose obscure angles cos candidates dont do as well and schools then choose a different exam board.
Reply 2
so in terms of detail, how much should we learn?
Boris A
so in terms of detail, how much should we learn?

You need to be aware of the themes throughout your period e.g. in Italian Unificiation, nationalism is a main theme, and you also need to have the knowledge to back up your points. The best way you can find out how much you need to know is to attempt a practice paper, if you realise that you cant back up a point properly then it means you need more detailed knowledge. Unlike a science, with history you cant say what you have to learn.
Reply 4
If this is for the source paper, then you don't need to know too much. Allow 4-5 days for revision.
Reply 5
yeah sources i know, i have like 5 days to revise for just by british paper, but i am worried that if i just learn from essay plans then i will be asked a question that is not from any of my essay plans :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Hmm revising from essay plans isn't a good idea. Are you doing Britain in Conflict - Crimea, Boer, WW1?
Reply 7
nope, british political history from 1945 - 90,
and for unit 1 rise of fascim in italy and spanish civil war
Reply 8
Well for the British paper, just focus on that after the 2nd - that's what I'm doing, yes, it's going to be horrible, yes the days are going to be packed, but it's necessary.
Then, after the 8th, FREEDOM!

And the SCW is a good topic - did a bit of it for pre-WW2 Russian history because the Germans trained their troops in it.
Reply 9
yeah but ur lucky i have politics and economics the day after :s-smilie:
the SCW is good but hard, there is to many factors that caused it :P

Latest

Trending

Trending