The Student Room Group

Crashing Highers in Fifth Year?

Has anyone done it? Next year I'm doing three sciences english and maths, all higher, but I was only able to do two sciences at standard grade level at my current school, biology and chemistry. I would have been taking history if I was staying at my school, but I'm moving for fifth and sixth year, hence the opportunity to crash physics. I need it anyway, as I want to do veterinary medicine. And I plan to pick up history again in sixth year. So, what's everyones thoughts on crashing highers in fifth year? Anyone got experiences? Giving myself a bit too much work?!
x
SCE : Five Highers in 5th Year, three at Grade A and Two at Grade B. These must include Chemistry, Biology and either Physics or Mathematics. Chemistry must be at Grade A. Applicants would normally take Advanced Higher Chemistry and Advanced Higher Biology in 6th Year, and would be expected to achieve Grade B in each subject. Candidates unable to offer Higher Biology in 5 th Year MUST take Higher Biology in S6 (A pass expected)

From the Glasgow uni website. So you don't need Physics at all, but you do need AAABB at least. Crashing is possible, but not easy, and you would be giving yourself a lot of work. Why are you wanting to do it in fifth year? You could crash it in 6th year and it wouldn't affect your uni entry grades.
If you don't need Physics for Vet Med, then I'd advise against crashing it in case it affects your other subjects. It's better to get the grades you need in the subjects you do need rather than crashing something else for the sake of it.

I'm crashing Higher Human Bio (fifth year) because I realised I'd chosen bad Standard Grades (Chemistry and Art, why?! I got 2s in them, but still.) and knew I wouldn't do well in them at Higher, so I chose Bio instead and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Research it thoroughly and see if you'd like the subject before you crash it, is all I'll say. :cool:
New...Romantic
SCE : Five Highers in 5th Year, three at Grade A and Two at Grade B. These must include Chemistry, Biology and either Physics or Mathematics. Chemistry must be at Grade A. Applicants would normally take Advanced Higher Chemistry and Advanced Higher Biology in 6th Year, and would be expected to achieve Grade B in each subject. Candidates unable to offer Higher Biology in 5 th Year MUST take Higher Biology in S6 (A pass expected)

From the Glasgow uni website. So you don't need Physics at all, but you do need AAABB at least. Crashing is possible, but not easy, and you would be giving yourself a lot of work. Why are you wanting to do it in fifth year? You could crash it in 6th year and it wouldn't affect your uni entry grades.

THanks :smile: And yeah, I've seen that, but Edinburgh require it, and I'm planning to apply there too. They say it's acceptable as a crash higher in sixth year, which I did consider - but the way the columns worked out it wasn't possible. I could have done that if I stay at my school atm, but there's the difficulty of timetabling AH bio, chem and H physics. The columns usually don't allow it. Anyway advanced chem doesn't run at my school, so I'd be travelling to a different school for that, seemed a bit pointless. My only other option in that column for next year that isn't a crash higher is french, and I hate french... I'm at a private school next year, much smaller class sizes, so hopefully I'll be given the help I need to get up to scratch? Hopefully!
x
Don't think you need 3 sciences for vet med but anyhoo.

I crashed Human, after doing physics at SG (the worst subject ever). It was ok.
ArcadiaHouse
If you don't need Physics for Vet Med, then I'd advise against crashing it in case it affects your other subjects. It's better to get the grades you need in the subjects you do need rather than crashing something else for the sake of it.

I'm crashing Higher Human Bio (fifth year) because I realised I'd chosen bad Standard Grades (Chemistry and Art, why?! I got 2s in them, but still.) and knew I wouldn't do well in them at Higher, so I chose Bio instead and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Research it thoroughly and see if you'd like the subject before you crash it, is all I'll say. :cool:

Thanks :smile: It isn't COMPLETELY necessary for all uni's, but it is for some, and I do believe it would be beneficial anyway - plus, it would look better on my application haha. It's a very tough course to get in to, and I think if I could offer three sciences, it would work in my favour over only offering two. But of course, if I don't get good grades in my higher physics then it makes it irrelevant! Glad to hear crashing biology worked well for you, biology's a really fun and interesting subject! Yeahh I enjoyed physics in second year but obviously it's really different from that. However, I do well in maths and enjoy that, so hopefully that will help me. :smile:
OriginofSymmetry
Don't think you need 3 sciences for vet med but anyhoo.

Glad to hear it worked out for you too :smile: Yeah I'm hoping with hard work it'll be finee!
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Thanks :smile: It isn't COMPLETELY necessary for all uni's, but it is for some, and I do believe it would be beneficial anyway - plus, it would look better on my application haha. It's a very tough course to get in to, and I think if I could offer three sciences, it would work in my favour over only offering two. But of course, if I don't get good grades in my higher physics then it makes it irrelevant! Glad to hear crashing biology worked well for you, biology's a really fun and interesting subject! Yeahh I enjoyed physics in second year but obviously it's really different from that. However, I do well in maths and enjoy that, so hopefully that will help me. :smile:

I'm not entirely sure on that. Doing English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology makes you look like a Science geek. And that is one thing that Edinburgh do not want for Med/Vet Med. You could get away with it if you have some ECs which show some artistic flair or sportiness. But it's risky going in there with 3 sciences.
OriginofSymmetry
I'm not entirely sure on that. Doing English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology makes you look like a Science geek. And that is one thing that Edinburgh do not want for Med/Vet Med. You could get away with it if you have some ECs which show some artistic flair or sportiness. But it's risky going in there with 3 sciences.

Really? Hmm, that's interesting, wasn't aware of that! Gives me a lot to think about. I've actually been pressured a lot to pick Higher Art cause apparently I could do really well, I can paint and stuff, I just wasn't really interested at all. I may well consider it for sixth year now though (I told them that to keep them off my back :P)! I do have a horse and compete and everything, and my new school is very sports-orientated, so I should have enough to prove sportiness. Perhaps a higher in art would work in my favour then.. Again though, I can't fit it into my timetable next year, unless I don't do English, which I think is a very risky move, and I need Bio Chem and Maths. Ahhh subject choices are a pain!
x
OriginofSymmetry

What did you get in it? :o: My target grade's a B ...
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Really? Hmm, that's interesting, wasn't aware of that! Gives me a lot to think about. I've actually been pressured a lot to pick Higher Art cause apparently I could do really well, I can paint and stuff, I just wasn't really interested at all. I may well consider it for sixth year now though (I told them that to keep them off my back :P)! I do have a horse and compete and everything, and my new school is very sports-orientated, so I should have enough to prove sportiness. Perhaps a higher in art would work in my favour then.. Again though, I can't fit it into my timetable next year, unless I don't do English, which I think is a very risky move, and I need Bio Chem and Maths. Ahhh subject choices are a pain!
x

Stick with English, you do need that. I think you should get away with it with your horse and that. Higher Art would be a good choice in 6th year, gives them an indication you aren't just a science geek.

Just be aware, the 5 you have chosen are hard work, the sciences aren't the easiest. (Apart from Biology, but that's a completely different matter :p: )

ArcadiaHouse

What did you get in it? :redface: My target grade's a B ...

An A Band 1. Biology really is a case of remembering everything, I personally found it easier than Chemistry which is just a pain at times.
OriginofSymmetry
An A Band 1. Biology really is a case of remembering everything, I personally found it easier than Chemistry which is just a pain at times.

Nice! I'm battling my way through an epic number of past papers. I got a D for the Prelim (long story) but want at least a B in the final exam. I think I get it now though (famous last words :o:).
Reply 12
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Has anyone done it? Next year I'm doing three sciences english and maths, all higher, but I was only able to do two sciences at standard grade level at my current school, biology and chemistry. I would have been taking history if I was staying at my school, but I'm moving for fifth and sixth year, hence the opportunity to crash physics. I need it anyway, as I want to do veterinary medicine. And I plan to pick up history again in sixth year. So, what's everyones thoughts on crashing highers in fifth year? Anyone got experiences? Giving myself a bit too much work?!
x

I crashed higher Chemistry this year, everyone said I was crazy as I'm doing four other reletively 'hard' highers, but I have done fine and (hopefully) heading towards an A in the final exam. I think I managed as I spent my summer holidays when I didn't really have any other revision to do, learning the Standard Grade course. Hard work but it is easily possible.
Well I was thinking about crashing higher Biology as I want to do Natural Sciences at uni and I thought that although I'd probably go the more physical route that som biology would be helpful. But along came a "guidance teacher" who told me to do higher computing instead. Might ask to change next year after I get my results.
obscurename
Well I was thinking about crashing higher Biology as I want to do Natural Sciences at uni and I thought that although I'd probably go the more physical route that som biology would be helpful. But along came a "guidance teacher" who told me to do higher computing instead. Might ask to change next year after I get my results.

For a while now, I have taken any advice I get from my "guidance teacher" and have done the complete opposite. Worked very well for me so far.
Reply 15
I crashed higher chemistry in fifth year and got an A.
its definately possible, so i would say go for it

but i hav no experience of physics so i dunno wt crashing it would be like...
Reply 16
I'm in 5th year and I'm crashing computing, and I got an A in the prelim. I know someone who's crashing chemistry and she's doing really well, and the same with someone else I know who's crashing biology. It can be done.
Crashing subjects can be done, and very well, but it depends on your willingless to learn an entirely new subject. My boyfriend crashed Physics this year and got 90-something percent in the prelim :smile:

I'm crashing Human Biology next year, here's hoping I can do it :P

Latest