The Student Room Group

Analogue and Digital Signals!?

Hello everyone, I would like to know if telephone lines are the only medium that carry analogue signals so that they can be converted into digital signals when they reach a modem! Ive heard of Microwaves, Infra Red and Radio signals but these carry data as digital signals even though the source itself is analogue right?.

So i guess the only place we see data being trasferred as analogue signals is in telephone lines right?

Thanks for your time
From John Wood
Neo1
Hello everyone, I would like to know if telephone lines are the only medium that carry analogue signals so that they can be converted into digital signals when they reach a modem! Ive heard of Microwaves, Infra Red and Radio signals but these carry data as digital signals even though the source itself is analogue right?.

So i guess the only place we see data being trasferred as analogue signals is in telephone lines right?

Thanks for your time
From John Wood

Normal radio is analogue - only the new digital radio is digital, unsurprisingly. Microwaves as in mobiles is digital, and infa red is not normally used, but would be digital also.
Reply 2
normal telephone lines are analogue. Digital tv is digital such as sky etc. The set top box converts the analogue to digital.

Latest

Trending

Trending