The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Ptosis

Does anyone else here have congenital eye ptosis? I do, its mild and I think in some way its linked with my Amblyopia.

If you do not know what ptosis is, please don't ask. I only want to talk to people who have it to see how it affects them and whether they have considered surgery for it. :smile:
Reply 1
do you mean when your upper eye lid droops, I think I have that, but it's really unnoticeable. However the eye affected is much weaker than than the healthy one. I wish I could get it treated on the NHS but I don't know how severe it has to be before the NHS goes ahead with the surgery, plus the side affect is kind of worrying.
Reply 2
Diaz89
do you mean when your upper eye lid droops, I think I have that, but it's really unnoticeable. However the eye affected is much weaker than than the healthy one. I wish I could get it treated on the NHS but I don't know how severe it has to be before the NHS goes ahead with the surgery, plus the side affect is kind of worrying.

Yes, thats what I mean :smile: . I have it in both eyes unfortunately. I swear that my eyesight is getting worse (each time I go to the opticians the letters are harder to read than the time before) :frown: but when I went to Vision Express the optician there said that my ptosis would not affect my vision :confused:. Apparently, if I want surgery on them to make the eye muscles stronger I would have to pay for it because its more cosmetic than necessary. I don't have £3,000 :frown:.

I think I might have to go to the optician who actually diagnosed me with it to talk to him about it.
Reply 3
Becksy
Yes, thats what I mean :smile: . I have it in both eyes unfortunately. I swear that my eyesight is getting worse (each time I go to the opticians the letters are harder to read than the time before) :frown: but when I went to Vision Express the optician there said that my ptosis would not affect my vision :confused:. Apparently, if I want surgery on them to make the eye muscles stronger I would have to pay for it because its more cosmetic than necessary. I don't have £3,000 :frown:.

I think I might have to go to the optician who actually diagnosed me with it to talk to him about it.

You can try talking to your GP about it and really egg up how much its affecting your daily life... may be able to get it n the NHS
Reply 4
Becksy

I would get a second opinion if I were you. I would ask your GP to refer you to an optical surgeon for consultation, they're better than opticians. If you have it in both eyes i thought it would be more priority than cosmetic. The thing I fear the most is that the eyeball/pupil is rolling upwards because the top half is not being used as much as the bottom one and the eye will permanently remain that way. If your eyesight keeps getting worse, I would really get some help you don't want to do some more damage to whatever health you have in them left.

I've started to notice it more when taking pictures, I actually avoid taking them because of how depressing it looks.
Reply 5
Valkyrja
You can try talking to your GP about it and really egg up how much its affecting your daily life... may be able to get it n the NHS

Yeah, it really does affect me. I am sure that its what stopping me from growing in confidence. Its always been there making me self conscious. :frown:

I am not the type to obsess over physical appearance but I just want to look normal if that makes sense.

I would talk to my GP but when I tried to speak to her about my eyes before she told me to go and see my optician since she knows nothing about it. :mad:
Reply 6
Diaz89
I would get a second opinion if I were you. I would ask your GP to refer you to an optical surgeon for consultation, they're better than opticians. If you have it in both eyes i thought it would be more priority than cosmetic. The thing I fear the most is that the eyeball/pupil is rolling upwards because the top half is not being used as much as the bottom one and the eye will permanently remain that way. If your eyesight keeps getting worse, I would really get some help you don't want to do some more damage to whatever health you have in them left.

I've started to notice it more when taking pictures, I actually avoid taking them because of how depressing it looks.

Oh no, you have got me worried even more now :eek: lol.

Okay, I am definately going to an optician soon. I will have to book an appointment tommorrow.

Yeah, I thought that it would be priority too, I don't want my vision to get worse do I? :eek:
Reply 7
Becksy
Oh no, you have got me worried even more now :eek: lol.

Okay, I am definately going to an optician soon. I will have to book an appointment tommorrow.

Yeah, I thought that it would be priority too, I don't want my vision to get worse do I? :eek:

lol sorry, because I personally started to notice it, when I stand a distance back, and I compare the good with the bad eye , the bad one is much duller and not as white as the good one and I don't want it to get worse.

good luck though, let us know what happens.
Reply 8
Diaz89
lol sorry, because I personally started to notice it, when I stand a distance back, and I compare the good with the bad eye , the bad one is much duller and not as white as the good one and I don't want it to get worse.

good luck though, let us know what happens.

Yeah, I will let you know :smile: . Thanks for replying to the thread, I am determined to seek some help now :smile:. Maybe you should do the same thing as me and go to the optician about yours?
Reply 9
Becksy
Yeah, I will let you know :smile: . Thanks for replying to the thread, I am determined to seek some help now :smile:. Maybe you should do the same thing as me and go to the optician about yours?

I have a high end London optician who really overcharges because I'm over 18. Also I've been to the GP and like you he says it's fine and there's nothing wrong with it ( when I know it's not).

I'll probably have to go the optician because the GP will say he needs a preliminary eye report before he refers me to anyone

After exams, I'll ask him to refer me to an eye surgeon specifically since the corrective operation is carried out by them instead of opticians anyway.

Latest