The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tipps21
Hi All,
I'll be 28 (yikes) when I apply to unis early next year to do physiotherapy degree. Have a degree in arts subject already and doing a-level biology this year. Is anyone else in a similar position?
wouldn't worry, we had 2 47 year olds when I started my physio degree. Physio attracts lots of mature students....you'll be a spring chicken compared to some!
Reply 2
Ive recently turned 30 and have an interview for the part time degree at southampton in June. I know a few people in their late thirties that have recently qualified and gained junior positions.

Anyone know what the part time interviews are like?
Reply 3
Thanks JackieS - makes me feel much better! Would you recommend St Georges over Kings - St Georges seem to have quite a high mature student population?
Reply 4
Hi there,

Just thought i'd post a reply to put some minds at rest...

I'm 27 and have a place on the part-time course starting next week at Southampton. All I would say to any person thinking of becoming a mature student is just go for it (you're a mature student if you're over 21, so what's a few more years LOL)! S'ton seem to be welcoming and aware of the fact that the student population there contains mature members too. Which is quite nice and reassuring.

Good luck all.

Lotty x
It has been a bit quiet on this thread for a while! I’m a mature student applying for physiotherapy starting this September, and I’ve applied to kings, st georges, brunel, Southampton and Nottingham. I’ve got an offer from Brunel, but that’s about it at the moment. Anyone else heard anything so far?? I’ve been told by non-mature physio applicants about the questions asked at interviews, but I’m pretty sure the questions for us mature students are going to be different, has anyone been interviewed yet?
Hi Parus,
Great to hear about your career change. I am very similar to you, I did an arts degree a while ago and then suddenly realised I wanted to do physiotherapy so went to night school to get my biology a-level and then applied to St Georges (amongst others) and here I am, now in my 2nd year and I'm 27. Georges especially is not full of 18/19 year olds, I'd say at least 20 of our year are what they call 'mature', and there's only about 60 of us in each year. But physio is such a sociable and hands on degree everyone mixes with everyone anyway. There's a wonderful atmosphere at Georges and I would highly recommend it. My interview was very 'so why do you want to do physio,' 'what do you admire about the qualities of physio's you have observed,' 'what experience have you got so far,' 'what's your biggest achievement,' etc. Pretty standard interview questions, and you're interviewed by the tutors that will eventually teach you so you can see for yourself how nice they are.
Good luck!!
x
Reply 7
Hi Guys,

I'm also a mature student (27) and hoping to start Physio this Sept. I ahve offers from Brunel and St Georges but not sure which is best.

I've heard all physio degrees are equivalent but really not sure which to pick. I'd like teh campus atmosphere of Brunel but I have a feeling St georges might be better due to its focus on practical experiece. Any opinions/info would be great!
Reply 8
Hi Peter,

Have you had your interview with St.Georges yet? Mine is in mid April. Also have an offer from Brunel - not sure I'm going to get the B they are asking for though - some serious studying ahead!
Tipps
Reply 9
Hi Tipps,

yes I had the interview and got the offer (i have a degree from when I was in Uni in Ireland so St Georges arent asking me to pass any exams). The interview wasnt too bad - usual Q's, Why do you want to do physio? Why physio over any other discipline? etc

I'm going to the UCAS day in mid Apr to try and help me make a final decision between Georges and Brunel. Good luckmin the interview - they're fairly relaxed so dont stress!
Reply 10
Hello, I'm also mature student and I have offers from MMU and Sheffield. I haven't made a decision as yet. Has anyone heard anything about the programs or whether they have any mature students?
Reply 11
hey i have also applied to sheffield man! buh i haven yet got a reply
have applied to kings college, coventry, leeds met, cardiff
i got into cardiff :smile:
x
Reply 12
PeterOS
Hi Tipps,

yes I had the interview and got the offer (i have a degree from when I was in Uni in Ireland so St Georges arent asking me to pass any exams). The interview wasnt too bad - usual Q's, Why do you want to do physio? Why physio over any other discipline? etc

I'm going to the UCAS day in mid Apr to try and help me make a final decision between Georges and Brunel. Good luckmin the interview - they're fairly relaxed so dont stress!

Fantastic to have a firm offer - just to know your getting in somewhere takes serious pressure off. Really hoping for unconditional as well as already have degree. Difficult choice though...
Reply 13
shradha27
hey i have also applied to sheffield man! buh i haven yet got a reply
have applied to kings college, coventry, leeds met, cardiff
i got into cardiff :smile:
x

Congrats on getting into Cardiff!!
I've also applied to Leeds Met but haven't heard anything yet. Have you had a chance to go to Sheffield, if so how did you find it? Of the unis you applied to which is your top pick?
Reply 14
beachky
Congrats on getting into Cardiff!!
I've also applied to Leeds Met but haven't heard anything yet. Have you had a chance to go to Sheffield, if so how did you find it? Of the unis you applied to which is your top pick?

heyyy well i heard frm leeds met i got into. nop haven got a chance to visit sheffield and i jus got rejected from kings :frown: so now cardiff will b ma firm choice n sheffield will be second if i hear frm dr.it will b gud to meet u in sheffield n wah abt yuh ? wat is ur firm choice? i thinkg mmu and sheffield are much better for physiotherapy then leeds met. do reply )
Reply 15
shradha27
heyyy well i heard frm leeds met i got into. nop haven got a chance to visit sheffield and i jus got rejected from kings :frown: so now cardiff will b ma firm choice n sheffield will be second if i hear frm dr.it will b gud to meet u in sheffield n wah abt yuh ? wat is ur firm choice? i thinkg mmu and sheffield are much better for physiotherapy then leeds met. do reply )

Congrats on getting into Leeds Met as well. I still haven't heard back from them and I don't want to wait too much longer to make a choice. Sorry to hear about your rejection from Kings. I haven't yet decided on a firm choice - either MMU or Sheffield - but I'm leaning towards MMU (I think). Please let me know what you decide and if you get into Sheffield. It would be great to meet you in Sheffield if we both end up going:smile:
Reply 16
beachky
Congrats on getting into Leeds Met as well. I still haven't heard back from them and I don't want to wait too much longer to make a choice. Sorry to hear about your rejection from Kings. I haven't yet decided on a firm choice - either MMU or Sheffield - but I'm leaning towards MMU (I think). Please let me know what you decide and if you get into Sheffield. It would be great to meet you in Sheffield if we both end up going:smile:

hey....thats nyc i did want to apply to MMU but then it was too late realised it later :s-smilie: . nicee yea sure as soon as i hear frm sheffield i shall let ya noe.btw wahs ur gud name? n u use facebook ? we can get intouch dat way also :smile: ...
Reply 17
hi all Im a 30 year old and have firmed my offer for physiotherapy at Coventry. Good luck to you all Kel x
Reply 18
Just updated UCAS and made MMU my firm choice :biggrin:. Anyone else going to MMU in September? Good luck to everyone!!!
Reply 19
Also started a new thread for people starting physio at MMU for 2010:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1247233

Latest