The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
heyyy all u guys with A's and A*'s HELP! ive pretty much done all i can think of for my lit exam which is sposed to be on Stone Cold, An Inspector Calls and unseen poetry. If anyone has any notes or advice or wateva help me out! the exam is 2moro...revision is doing my hed in and i am freakin outt! thankiies x
Seems to be some sort of misconception.

I believe you needed 87.5% (175/200) for an A* with AQA English Lit A last year.

English Language is out of 540 (Uniform Mark Scale), and you need 460 in total for an A*, which is roughly 85.2% - not that high really.

English Language components:
(for A*)

Paper 1 higher: 49/54 - 91% - converted to a mark out of 162 UMS
Paper 2 higher: 48/54 - 90% - converted to a mark out of 162 UMS
Coursework: 97/108 - 90% - Remains as 108 UMS
Speaking & listening: 49/53 - 91% - converted to a mark out of 108 UMS

-Whilst it is high to score high on the individual components, 460/540 for an A* is pretty lenient.

Hope that helps.
Kinesthetic

I believe you needed 87.5% (175/200) for an A* with AQA English Lit A last year.

English Language is out of 540 (Uniform Mark Scale), and you need 460 in total for an A*, which is roughly 85.2% - not that high really.

English Language components:
(for A*)

Paper 1 higher: 49/54 - 91% - converted to a mark out of 162 UMS
Paper 2 higher: 48/54 - 90% - converted to a mark out of 162 UMS
Coursework: 97/108 - 90% - Remains as 108 UMS
Speaking & listening: 49/53 - 91% - converted to a mark out of 108 UMS

-Whilst it is high to score high on the individual components, 460/540 for an A* is pretty lenient.

Hope that helps.

This is correct - I remember being extremely correct as on my mock I had 48/54 and 46/54 and 47/54 for something else. Not quite sure what the setup was for out mock and what all the different marks for but I was like a mark off an A* in each of the different sections. :mad:
Reply 23
Marshmellow.
Surely if you get the grade you need to do English at A-level and get like an A in English at A-level.. Your GCSE doesn't matter at Uni. :wink:

I thought you'll need at least an C grade for English at GCSE level to get into medicine, dentistry, optometry etc, etc in Uni..? :s-smilie:
Reply 24
anyone?...please?...
Me, I'd create a new thread or look in this forum for one relating to your question. We're talking about the AQA exam board here, the unseen poetry and stuff is for WJEC I think.
Ivy2412
I thought you'll need at least an C grade for English at GCSE level to get into medicine, dentistry, optometry etc, etc in Uni..? :s-smilie:

He/she was talking about the fact that an A wouldn't be good at GCSE if you were planning on taking English to uni.
Thus I said that surely it doesn't matter as long as you get the grade which you need at GCSE to take an English A-level and then get a decent A-level grade. :smile:

Which is kind of off-topic.
You are already sorted for the A* if you really did get those marks in your mocks. Generally, the mocks are a lot harder/harsher than the actual GCSEs. So don't worry too much about it. :smile:
cuteyno1
what exam board are you with/? becuase we have lit exam on tuesday (aqa)

AQA, but it seems to be different to everone elses:s-smilie: .. i did an essay on aplay, poetry and then a book :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Boasting
Never Good
(Dickweed)
Reply 30
Kinesthetic

mate how is that broken down into exams and courseworks
Reply 31
coursework is out of 108
speaking and listening is 108
english lang. exams(both papers) in total 108

so presuming if i get 89/108 in my exams,
my cwk is at 95/108
my speaking and listening is at lets say 82/108 (just an estimation) but thats the lowest i would of got

so bearing in mind i gt 89 in my exams then what would be my overall grade??

Latest