The Student Room Group

Higher English Close Reading

Exam tomorrow then. As far as essays go I can usually do decent enough with those just I'm short at times, but been getting 19 - 21 recently on them. Close reading is a different story though, 6 / 50 for my last one, really do want a C, only just scraped one in the prelim.

Anyway I've done some revision and tried a close reading which was actually fairly easy... because it was a subject that I was moderately interested in. If the topic is about politics or non scientific areas then that is where my downfall is.

You see, I tend to live more in a box and never really understand or acknowledge the news or any political matter at all. The chances are is that the close reading is going to be on something like that that has happened over the past whatnot months.

Anyone have any suggestions which things I should look up and try to understand so I'm actually on the same ground as everyone else when I sit it? I really do hate when a question requires outside knowledge of the subject...
Reply 1
My teacher has suggested that we read good newspapers such as The Times, Telegraph or Guardian. You could maybe have a look at some articles on their websites.
I really don't think you need to know about any outside information. Close reading is all about reading into the passages and picking out ideas and how the writer displays them to you. Like, how you understand it. Close reading is there to test how well you can read something in depth - thats why its a part of the English paper..thats what English is all about...understanding.

I think as far as this paper goes...the answer is there right in front of you. I really doubt you need to be a whiz on any subject to understand what the writer is talking about.
Reply 3
Parma_Violet
I really don't think you need to know about any outside information. Close reading is all about reading into the passages and picking out ideas and how the writer displays them to you. Like, how you understand it. Close reading is there to test how well you can read something in depth - thats why its a part of the English paper..thats what English is all about...understanding.

I think as far as this paper goes...the answer is there right in front of you. I really doubt you need to be a whiz on any subject to understand what the writer is talking about.

The last one I did I had no idea what 'cockneyfy' meant or I didn't know who Dicken's was or what type of books he wrote. If I did I would have been able to answer the question right. I didn't see much in the passage to indicate the kind of point it was taking though so couldn't really deduce it either.

Mmm I wish it was all about understanding, as in the questions. Analysis is just horrible for me. Especially the 'How effective do you find' questions, we get marked wrong for putting our opinion. I may not find the thing effective at all, but we have to look for reasons it may be to other people, adds to difficulty not finding effective myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending