The Student Room Group

Just dreamt that I got nuked.

Hey all,

My dream was going in an exceedingly boring direction, was on the bus home with 2 mates from a non-discript uni, got to a block of apartments out in a leafy suberb. 1 mate went into his flat, I went with the other mate and just we went to open the door to our flat there was an explosion (more of like a "violent disturbence" didn't seem like a typical explosion). At first I thought someone had tried to kill us, I called out to my mate who was entering his flat, no answer, I walked over to the flat and saw him laying on the ground. I thought maybe he'd been the target. I wasn't sure what was going on, I looked out the front door of the block, and I saw alot of the trees had sustained damage, then I looked to the North and saw the mushroom cloud, and then my surroundings went a brilliant white, like the type when you burn magnesium. I rushed back inside, figured somehow (dream logic) that I was 3500m from the point of detonation and that it was a terrorist attack rather than an attack by another country (I think I decided that based on the scale of the detonation, and that it wouldn't be a target of an aggressive country). Probably one of the most horrific dreams I've had (just for realism, sense of impending doom and powerlessness).

I have a "plan" of sorts to deal with zombie outbreak, but for some reason I have no idea what to do incase of nuclear attack.

So the question is, best way to maximise chances of immediate survival in the event of being on the fringes of a nuclear detonation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, there isnt really. You die or you don't...
But I wouldn't worry, I frequently dream of this sort of stuff along with car crashes and that sort of thing.
By the sounds of your zombie thing, you worry about this kind of thing a great deal - this is probably why you get these dreams.
Reply 2
Watch the TV series called Jericho. Sorted lol.
Hide in a fridge lined with lead, Indiana Jones style.
Reply 4
sundance_kid
Hide in a fridge lined with lead, Indiana Jones style.

I was JUST about to say that. Rep coming your way. D:
Reply 6
necessarily benevolent

:yes:
Reply 7
Reply 8
Lol thanks for the responses guys, I guess in the event of a nuke we're all just resigned to fate?

Then I'm just hoping in the event of apocalypse it's zombies rather than nukes =D
Reply 9
Llynus
Lol thanks for the responses guys, I guess in the event of a nuke we're all just resigned to fate?

Then I'm just hoping in the event of apocalypse it's zombies rather than nukes =D

I think that'd be a fair assessment.
Reply 10
Yeah to be honest, if a nuke was to go off, I think it would be best to be killed in the blast. Preferably instantly and painless. I mean you wouldn't want to live through the aftermath.
Am I the only one who read the topic title as "I just dreamt I got naked"?
Reply 12
If you survive the blast then the best thing to do is lock yourself up, duct tape the windows, doorways and vents and not touch the water supply. This is to avoid the radioactive particles buzzing about. In some senses getting caught by the fallout is worse than the blast because it's a more protracted but just as certain death. So if you're feeling particularly paranoid, stock up on water and food for when the machines rise and nuclear war is waged against humanity. Chances are that the EM from the bomb would scupper a lot of the methods that could be used to communicate, but if the power lines aren't shagged as well, keep trying to listen for radio or tv which could hold vital information about what to do next.

The last thing you want to do is be on the road trying to get out of the place after nukes have gone off. The motorway would be chocabloc because it's where everyone wants to be. But that means that they're all stuck in their cars while the inevitable fallout overshadows them. Nay, deep indoors or deep underground is where you want to be for as long as possible.

I been watching too much tv
Reply 13
Llynus
Hey all,

My dream was going in an exceedingly boring direction, was on the bus home with 2 mates from a non-discript uni, got to a block of apartments out in a leafy suberb. 1 mate went into his flat, I went with the other mate and just we went to open the door to our flat there was an explosion (more of like a "violent disturbence" didn't seem like a typical explosion). At first I thought someone had tried to kill us, I called out to my mate who was entering his flat, no answer, I walked over to the flat and saw him laying on the ground. I thought maybe he'd been the target. I wasn't sure what was going on, I looked out the front door of the block, and I saw alot of the trees had sustained damage, then I looked to the North and saw the mushroom cloud, and then my surroundings went a brilliant white, like the type when you burn magnesium. I rushed back inside, figured somehow (dream logic) that I was 3500m from the point of detonation and that it was a terrorist attack rather than an attack by another country (I think I decided that based on the scale of the detonation, and that it wouldn't be a target of an aggressive country). Probably one of the most horrific dreams I've had (just for realism, sense of impending doom and powerlessness).

I have a "plan" of sorts to deal with zombie outbreak, but for some reason I have no idea what to do incase of nuclear attack.

So the question is, best way to maximise chances of immediate survival in the event of being on the fringes of a nuclear detonation?

You have been watching to much Lost my friend; your name is Llynus I therefore assume thats after Benjamin Llynus.

And in the fianle of Lost this week, a nuke happened to explode on the Island. RIP Juliet :frown:
Reply 14
Is your name Sarah Connor?

Edit: Embedding disabl...****...here.
Reply 15
tucker672
You have been watching to much Lost my friend; your name is Llynus I therefore assume thats after Benjamin Llynus.

And in the fianle of Lost this week, a nuke happened to explode on the Island. RIP Juliet :frown:

Nope, it's not after Ben, it's my actual name.

I'm only upto s5e15 so I didn't know anything about an explosion.

spex
If you survive the blast then the best thing to do is lock yourself up, duct tape the windows, doorways and vents and not touch the water supply. This is to avoid the radioactive particles buzzing about. In some senses getting caught by the fallout is worse than the blast because it's a more protracted but just as certain death. So if you're feeling particularly paranoid, stock up on water and food for when the machines rise and nuclear war is waged against humanity. Chances are that the EM from the bomb would scupper a lot of the methods that could be used to communicate, but if the power lines aren't shagged as well, keep trying to listen for radio or tv which could hold vital information about what to do next.

The last thing you want to do is be on the road trying to get out of the place after nukes have gone off. The motorway would be chocabloc because it's where everyone wants to be. But that means that they're all stuck in their cars while the inevitable fallout overshadows them. Nay, deep indoors or deep underground is where you want to be for as long as possible.

I been watching too much tv

Awesome advice, thanks =D

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid about a nuclear attack, was just a pretty odd dream, but if a Nuke goes off in the next few days just call me nostradamus.

I think there's some bunkers around here somewhere though, worth some investigation.
Reply 16
Stay inside your house, cover your windows with metal if possible. The radiation is unlikely to penetrate through your walls but will go through windows. Just keep holed up for a week or so, and you should be able to go outside for short periods of time after that.
Reply 17
tucker672

OMG YOU SLAG
MSB

Lol damn you beat me too it!
Reply 19
MSB

LOL, no. But I do think Google is destined to become Skynet :rolleyes: maybe I'll have a role in it's downfall :biggrin:

Havn't seen that movie in ages, definately needs a rewatch.