The Student Room Group

Back to A levels for Medicine...

I'll start by saying hello, I've read TSR for a while but this is my first post. So hi.

This is my story, I just wanted to share it and get some feedback and thoughts.

Basically I'm coming to the end of my first year of Marketing, it's not terribly interesting nor do I see it as a challenging "subject". I've always wanted to be a doctor, I always had the academic ability, however growing up I had an anxiety disorder that entirely took over my life. I didn't even attempt to work at school, and my low self-esteem made me feel as if I could never achieve something such as gaining entrance to Medicine.

Then I went to a second rate university and my life changed. I grew out of my anxiety and all of my confidence came flooding back, I feel in complete control and it's fantastic. Then I got myself thinking, do I really want to be here? Can I see myself studying this easy and boring degree for 3 years? No... I couldn't. So I've taken control of the direction in which my life is headed. I'm going back to college and A levels and I will study Maths, Bio, Chem and ICT.

I have the motivation, dedication and academic ability to achieve this. I also want to be a doctor for what I feel are the right reasons, it goes without saying that helping people is a motive but I'm also fascinated by the medical practice and everything that being a doctor stands for. I have already started organising volunteer work at a care home that I can engage in for the 2 years of A levels (nice long term commitment), and I have contacted my GP about some shadowing. I fully understand how competitive Medicine is, and I understand what is looked for and suchlike in applicants.

What I'd like to know is your views on this. What would you do? Go back to college and work your arse off? Or stay in Marketing and see where it goes...

Any advice would be very much appreciated, and thanks for reading my little story.

Scroll to see replies

If you really want to do medicine, then doing A-levels will be a much better option than completing the degree and going through the graduate route. If you genuinely don't want to do the Marketing and genuinely want to be a doctor, then go for it.
If you're that passionate about becoming a doctor, then I completely urge you to do the A levels and then apply for medicine. It will be hard work, but most deffiantly worth it.
Wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
The only thing you should be concerned about in ICT is, the coursework could be extremely time consuming, which will leave you far less time to devote to Maths, Chemistry and Biology... have you considered AS Psychology or AS Physics?
Reply 4
dynamic1
The only thing you should be concerned about in ICT is, the coursework could be extremely time consuming, which will leave you far less time to devote to Maths, Chemistry and Biology... have you considered AS Psychology or AS Physics?

AS physics would mean that the OP has four science subjects. More and more schools are stating a preference for a non-science, so doing physics could be severely limiting.
Alex L
AS physics would mean that the OP has four science subjects. More and more schools are stating a preference for a non-science, so doing physics could be severely limiting.

I personally don't think it will be significantly limiting however it will add less breadth academically in some respects.
Reply 6
crazyferret
I personally don't think it will be significantly limiting however it will add less breadth academically in some respects.

It really depends where they apply, and it needs to be considered that they will be applying in two years, and the general trend seems to be schools having an increasing preference for non-science subjects.
Alex L
It really depends where they apply, and it needs to be considered that they will be applying in two years, and the general trend seems to be schools having an increasing preference for non-science subjects.

Whilst I agree that there is a trend in preference for a non-science subject, currently no one (to my knowledge) except UCL overtly state it will infer any advantage. :dontknow:
For a fourth A-level I did Philosophy and Ethics, which didn't require any more coursework than the science subjects, and I did a Medical Ethics module, which was very interesting and something I brought up a little in interviews/PS.
Reply 9
crazyferret
Whilst I agree that there is a trend in preference for a non-science subject, currently no one (to my knowledge) except UCL overtly state it will infer any advantage. :dontknow:

Spoiler

Yes, nowhere but UCL overtly state it at the moment. However in two years time, things will have likely changed. Whether this will involve more places asking for non-sciences or not remains to be seen, I just think it would be wise to play it safe given the current trends
i think you've answered your own question OP :wink:

you say that you really want to be a doctor so... :smile:
Reply 11
In other topics, some people said it never looks good to drop out of one's current degree. Is that so different when we drop out and achieve new A level ?
Reply 12
T3mp3sT
In other topics, some people said it never looks good to drop out of one's current degree. Is that so different when we drop out and achieve new A level ?

This has also played on my mind, but I'm hoping that in the light of me going back to A levels in order to persue a career in medicine will be seen as dedication and long term commitment. I'm not sure...

Also I was wondering, I will be 21 by the time I have finished my A levels, will this make me a mature student and will it affect my application in a positive or a negative way.

Thanks for all the support and/or advice. I am currently looking at a 4th A level and deciding between Ethics and ICT. It is likely that ICT will take up too much time and Ethics will help in the Medical Ethics module of my degree.
Reply 13
I believe that at 21 you will be a mature student. Does this then not throw a different light on it all altogether? Would they therefore be looking more at life experience as opposed to what you got for A levels? As a mature student applying this year, my grades weren't mentioned at all other than in passing, it was all about what I had done, what jobs I had had etc etc. Someone may be able to be less vague...
MessyRoom
I'll start by saying hello, I've read TSR for a while but this is my first post. So hi.

This is my story, I just wanted to share it and get some feedback and thoughts.

Basically I'm coming to the end of my first year of Marketing, it's not terribly interesting nor do I see it as a challenging "subject". I've always wanted to be a doctor, I always had the academic ability, however growing up I had an anxiety disorder that entirely took over my life. I didn't even attempt to work at school, and my low self-esteem made me feel as if I could never achieve something such as gaining entrance to Medicine.

Then I went to a second rate university and my life changed. I grew out of my anxiety and all of my confidence came flooding back, I feel in complete control and it's fantastic. Then I got myself thinking, do I really want to be here? Can I see myself studying this easy and boring degree for 3 years? No... I couldn't. So I've taken control of the direction in which my life is headed. I'm going back to college and A levels and I will study Maths, Bio, Chem and ICT.

I have the motivation, dedication and academic ability to achieve this. I also want to be a doctor for what I feel are the right reasons, it goes without saying that helping people is a motive but I'm also fascinated by the medical practice and everything that being a doctor stands for. I have already started organising volunteer work at a care home that I can engage in for the 2 years of A levels (nice long term commitment), and I have contacted my GP about some shadowing. I fully understand how competitive Medicine is, and I understand what is looked for and suchlike in applicants.

What I'd like to know is your views on this. What would you do? Go back to college and work your arse off? Or stay in Marketing and see where it goes...

Any advice would be very much appreciated, and thanks for reading my little story.

If you really, truly want to be a doctor - GO FOR IT!

Do keep up work experience and talk to doctors to make sure you're fully aware of what the lifestyle entails.
dynamic1

But then less time spent on exam revision for ICT as CW is more heavily weighted. Plus ICT is probably easier than physics anyway.

OP - just pick decent academic subjects you think you can get top grades in and enjoy
Alex L

Agreed. Plus people who do all sciences are dull! :p: :wink:
Ironmike
I believe that at 21 you will be a mature student. Does this then not throw a different light on it all altogether? Would they therefore be looking more at life experience as opposed to what you got for A levels? As a mature student applying this year, my grades weren't mentioned at all other than in passing, it was all about what I had done, what jobs I had had etc etc. Someone may be able to be less vague...

You would need some minimum academics at this stage, either A Levels or degree. Beyond this the focus would probably be on lfie experience
Reply 18
No Future
You would need some minimum academics at this stage, either A Levels or degree. Beyond this the focus would probably be on lfie experience

I intend to bulk up on the experiences side while I study. I have already made enquiries about volunteer work at a local care home for the elderly, and I have a long time (and a contact) to organise hospital or hospice work experience. Apart from that I aim to do some youth group work and travel back to Africa helping with AIDS. This will surely bolster my application and the nice new and shiney A levels will surely help.
MessyRoom
I intend to bulk up on the experiences side while I study. I have already made enquiries about volunteer work at a local care home for the elderly, and I have a long time (and a contact) to organise hospital or hospice work experience. Apart from that I aim to do some youth group work and travel back to Africa helping with AIDS. This will surely bolster my application and the nice new and shiney A levels will surely help.

Good stuff.

They would probably want to know what you have learned from your career so far and why you decided to switch careers. Something to think about.

Latest

Trending

Trending