The Student Room Group

Psychology - Approaches (AQA-A)

For the cognitive approach what kind of stuff can I use for the approaches question?

In a very short summary I know I can write about conditioning/social learning theory for behavioural, hormones etc for biological and an imbalance of id, ego, and superego for psychodynamic... (i know theres more than that for each approach, the point is I know stuff from each. I know quite a bit for behavioural and biological, knowledge for psychodynamic is slightly limited though)

But yea, what angle would I come from for the cognitive approach? I guess as long as I know the others brilliantly I could make any situation apply to them and would be ok, but should really know stuff for the cognitive approach... would it be stuff to do with attention, perception, schemas, that kinda thing?
Reply 1
To be honest i wouldn't really bother with the cognative approach if you know the other three well as you are only going to get asked how 2 approaches would explain x's behaviour. I'm only learning the behavioural and psychodynamic approaches, although i will probably end up learning cognitive just cos i'll get worried!

Here are a few points related to the cognitive explanation:
- The cognitive model is concerned with internal mental explanations of behaviour.
- The cog approach views humans as actively thinking about events and considering their meaning.
- Behaviour can be exaplined largely in terms of how the mind operates
- Psychology is a pure science an should use scientific methodology, mainly lab expts.
- Piagets theory is one of cognitive development since it is concerned with how mental operations and schemas develop and change as children mature.
- Becks approcah to the causes of depression is cognitive because it accounts for depression in terms of certain patterns of thinking.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any more problems!
Reply 2
I haven't really touched on cognitive much in class yet.
Although it was mentioned that you should put something about cognitive behavioural therapy being the modern behavioural...I assume it can also be applied in the cognitive approach as it would be the modern use there.
cheers for the info on the cognitive approach. :smile:

another question... anyone done the approaches question from january 2003? The one about tina and her shyness. Actual stimulus material is:

"Tina is an extremely shy and nervous young woman. She hates the thought of meeting new people and the idea of having to speak to others in her meetings at work fills her with a sense of dread. her shyness means that she tends to avoid going out to places where she is likely to meet lots of people. As a result she stays in most of the time"

We're supposed to do the question for homework. I've done it, but I'm sure it could be better. The approaches I chose where the behavioural and psychodynamic. Should I use biological instead of behavioural? As for part c of any approaches question, thats where my weaknesses are. I tried to design an experiment using the behavioural approach, but don't think I did a good job of it. Any pointers appriciated.
ewww this is probably my least favourite. my teacher told us that we generally only have to know 2-3 in great detail, and just some essentials on the others. i'm sticking with psychodynamic and biological :smile:
Reply 5
I am doing the psychodynamic and behavioural, and i feel like if you just know certain facts you can generalise most bits to many different scenarios. We have also got the evolutionary approach, which we are learning just for part A, just incase we get really stuck with P and B.
Reply 6
Erm...this is my first post but yeah, psychology is quite hard, its not about the knowledge i mean thats easy, however AO2 is really causing me grief :'( any1 got any tips on wat to discuss i will be grateful..

DerZ
Reply 7
Derz_
Erm...this is my first post but yeah, psychology is quite hard, its not about the knowledge i mean thats easy, however AO2 is really causing me grief :'( any1 got any tips on wat to discuss i will be grateful..

DerZ

P.E.J!!!
I don't know if this is the right way to express it but our teacher always said
use PEJ:

Point
Evidnece
Justify

Apparently this will ensure, if done well, you get as many AO2 marks as possible.
Reply 8
kdfighter
P.E.J!!!
I don't know if this is the right way to express it but our teacher always said
use PEJ:

Point
Evidnece
Justify

Apparently this will ensure, if done well, you get as many AO2 marks as possible.

Ok thankz dude i appreciate it, anythin else that any1 wants to offer i will be obliged

DerZ

Latest

Trending

Trending